i-95 North in SC Lake Marion Bridge Construction Starting

I stress on bridges so definitely not looking forward to construction starting and it only being one lane wide for the trip back north. The delays leading to it depending upon time of day might be an issue too so thought I'd share the info...

http://www.thetandd.com/news/f29bc5c4-d5e8-11e0-9e72-001cc4c002e0.html

Oh great this will still be going on when we head home in November. Loads are restricted to 8'-6" wide & there will be concrete barriers in place. My buns will be puckered for sure towing the camper through there. I hate those damn narrow work zones.

By the way thanks for posting. This is great info.

Oh great this will still be going on when we head home in November. Loads are restricted to 8'-6" wide & there will be concrete barriers in place. My buns will be puckered for sure towing the camper through there. I hate those damn narrow work zones.

By the way thanks for posting. This is great info.

Ever go across the bridge across the Mississippi at Vicksburg? That was a major pucker factor check - especially when a train decided to cross!

Loads are restricted to 8'-6" wide & there will be concrete barriers in place. My buns will be puckered for sure towing the camper through there. I hate those damn narrow work zones.

All I have to do is see concrete barriers on a bridge and it's all over for me. They all make fun of me and say I suffer from PTTTD (post traumatic trailer towing disorder) after issues towing our old 40' TT on the interstate last year. :panic: I can see this being another aspirin-chewing drive, albiet while towing a smaller, lighter, newer TT with much better sway control.

Years ago, my dad used to take A1A and avoid I-95 for a good part of the southern route. He always enjoyed the scenic coastline & small towns. I've never done that as an adult but we may just look into what those roads are like now & detour around the Santee area a bit this trip... either that or we'll have to stay at the fort until Spring. Darn, that'd be... cough, cough... just terrible, wouldn't it?? :shh:

Aw bloody hell... we'll be heading home 11/11. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll be ahead of schedule.

:rofl2:

Oh great this will still be going on when we head home in November. Loads are restricted to 8'-6" wide & there will be concrete barriers in place. My buns will be puckered for sure towing the camper through there.

Ditto!!! Our camper is 100" wide :blink:

Might have to seriously rethink our route home....

Anyone got any suggestions that aren't TOO far out of the way?

Ditto!!! Our camper is 100" wide :blink:

Might have to seriously rethink our route home....

Anyone got any suggestions that aren't TOO far out of the way?

You could always just take I-81 all the way to PA. Then just jump on I84 to I90 in MA. We tried going that way in 2009 because people swore it was wonderful & no tolls. Well we hated that route & will forever be willing to just pay the tolls.

Is that the super beautiful but super HILLY route??

MIL keeps telling us how beautiful it is to drive down through the mountains... but we're pulling a 33' TT.... no scary scenic roads, please.

I am so with you on this one... the only thing worse than a bridge under construction is a winding scenic mountain road...

Is that the super beautiful but super HILLY route??

MIL keeps telling us how beautiful it is to drive down through the mountains... but we're pulling a 33' TT.... no scary scenic roads, please.

It's not like it's a small winding road. It is scenic & yes there are mountains. Did I mention it's scenic? The trailer trucks are rediculous & forget driving it at night. We were driving one night & I'm not exagerating here. There were no other lights anywhere except my head lights. It felt like we were on the dark side of the moon. At one point we needed to get off the highway so my son could use the bathroom. Well there was nothing as far as you could see so we just pulled off the side of the road. Personnally I wouldn't recommend it, but others say they love it.

It's not like it's a small winding road. It is scenic & yes there are mountains. Did I mention it's scenic? The trailer trucks are rediculous & forget driving it at night. We were driving one night & I'm not exagerating here. There were no other lights anywhere except my head lights. It felt like we were on the dark side of the moon. At one point we needed to get off the highway so my son could use the bathroom. Well there was nothing as far as you could see so we just pulled off the side of the road. Personnally I wouldn't recommend it, but others say they love it.

We took that route down last time, wasn't a bad ve, nice and quite at night. Only thing I absolutely hated was the climb to the heavens when you get off 81 onto 77, I thought oxygen masks were going to drop out of the overhead consoles if we went much higher!

You can use a combo of SC state roads to go around the lake, but you will be adding at least an hour and hitting some small towns along the way.

Then again it sounds like 95 is going to back up because of this, so you might not be adding much time overall.....

52 between Monck's Corner and Kingstree is a nice 4 lane road. but getting there from 95 and back to 95 will be interesting.

Good luck and safe travels :heart:

We took that route down last time, wasn't a bad ve, nice and quite at night. Only thing I absolutely hated was the climb to the heavens when you get off 81 onto 77, I thought oxygen masks were going to drop out of the overhead consoles if we went much higher!

Sounds like you're talking about Fancy Gap on I-77 at the NC/VA state line.

It is Interstate and a good road and very scenic on a nice clear, sunshiny day.

At the top it's about 2900 ft so weather at the bottom of the hill is not usually as nice at the top.

It's not a place I want to drive at night, when there is fog, rain or snow...been there, done that...in both car and motorhome many times.

Sounds like you're talking about Fancy Gap on I-77 at the NC/VA state line.

It is Interstate and a good road and very scenic on a nice clear, sunshiny day.

At the top it's about 2900 ft so weather at the bottom of the hill is not usually as nice at the top.

It's not a place I want to drive at night, when there is fog, rain or snow...been there, done that...in both car and motorhome many times.

I am sure it is beautiful but we did it at 4am in the rain, well it was raining when we started the climb but stopped and became very foggy 3/4 of the way up!

hmmm... suddenly I'm feeling much better about a slow 25 MPH crawl along a narrow bridge if the best alternative is mountains... :o

I had a drive up the coastline on pretty roads in mind as a detour. Guess I'll just have to pick up some extra cheese to go with my whine on the road and tough it out...

and..... we DEFINITELY won't be going that way! :blink:

You can use a combo of SC state roads to go around the lake, but you will be adding at least an hour and hitting some small towns along the way

That sounds like the detour route they're setting up for wider loads. (no chuckling please)

I'm betting the lane closures will add close to that anyway, so I think I'll save my nerves and take the detour.

How far would it be to get to Rt301 from there,or is that not an option. We used 301 last year from our stop over on the way home from Ga. to S.C. and it was a very nice drive, just wondering. :unsure:

How far would it be to get to Rt301 from there,or is that not an option. We used 301 last year from our stop over on the way home from Ga. to S.C. and it was a very nice drive, just wondering. :unsure:

Not sure if this is what you asked, but 301/95 use the same bridge over the lake, 301 does not have its own dedicated bridge. I.e. 301/95 are the same road at that point. :unsure:

Not sure if this is what you asked, but 301/95 use the same bridge over the lake, 301 does not have its own dedicated bridge. I.e. 301/95 are the same road at that point. :unsure:

I know 301 runs back and forth just was not sure where I quess that answers my question thanks.

I'm betting the lane closures will add close to that anyway, so I think I'll save my nerves and take the detour.

I don't understand how closing the lane will even cause a bit of traffic. I can't even think of a time I've seen enough cars on the highway in SC to ever cause a traffic jam. Come on Monique there is no way it will be worse than a normal commute on 93, 495, 128, or 3 up here.

I don't understand how closing the lane will even cause a bit of traffic. I can't even think of a time I've seen enough cars on the highway in SC to ever cause a traffic jam. Come on Monique there is no way it will be worse than a normal commute on 93, 495, 128, or 3 up here.

Call me a chicken... cause I'll surely be in a fowl mood on the way home from vacation and if I can avoid gridlock towing... or maybe even worse, having to grease the sides of the camper to squeeze it between the jersey barriers (while trying not to sneeze!)

Besides, the new truck is a V10, which means if it's idling in traffic I might as well be throwing dollar bills out the window.

I've got the google app on my phone that tracks traffic flow. I'll check it when we're far enough away, but if there's a chance of a hold up, I'm taking the scenic route.