Special Halloween Character Meal at Mickey's Backyard BBQ

From the Disney Parks Blog...

Spend Halloween at Fort Wilderness With Disney Characters

posted on September 22nd, 2011 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

Forget tricks, we’ve got a real treat this Halloween – an all-you-care-to-eat supper and an evening with favorite Disney characters, in the fun outdoor setting at Mickey’s Backyard BBQ at Fort Wilderness.

Dress up and head for the Halloween-themed dance party from 5-7 p.m. on October 31. The Disney characters will be in Halloween costumes, with plenty of time for fun photos.

The generous buffet features baked chicken, barbecued pork ribs, hot dogs with all the fixins, cheeseburgers, coleslaw, baked beans, cornbread, watermelon and frozen treats. Beer, wine, lemonade and iced tea are included. And don’t worry, there’s plenty of candy for trick-or-treaters.

Cost is $50.99, $29.99 ages three to nine. Reservations can be made by online at www.disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining, by calling 407-WDW-DINE (3463) or visiting any Guest Relations theme park location or Guest Services desk at a Disney resort.

pum123234SMALL.jpg

I'm guessing that $50.99 is plus tax & gratuity... so probably more like $65 for adults when all is said & done.

wow.

Technically we've got 5 "adults" according to disney dining so that'd be more than $300 for burgers & dogs with some candy thrown in. For that kind of price, Chip & Dale should follow us back to the TT & tuck her in or something... :rofl2:

And the cynic in me wonders if Disney isn't trying to ride the Fort's reputation for TOT.

How many people are going to go, hmmm I hear the Fort has great TOT so lets eat there too.

Or the locals will use "we are going to the BBQ" for access into the Fort that night.

From reading the last couple of year's TRs of Halloween, this is just going to add more fuel to the fire. The Fort already has traffic issues during big holidays, now you are going to add suger fueled costumed children/adults to the mix along with the golfcarts?

That price is tax & tip included.

That makes it slightly better. We'd still be looking at $260 for the 5 of us though and IMO that's still absolutely outrageous for a meal of burgers & hot dogs when Ohana & the normal character dinner buffets offer so many more menu options for less money.

Oh, who am I kidding, what I'm really thinking right now is that I could take us all to CiCi's buffet for $20 w/coupons and use that extra $240 for even more time at the fort, MNSSHP, Potter-world, or any of a dozen of the other things on our ever-growing list...

And the cynic in me wonders if Disney isn't trying to ride the Fort's reputation for TOT.

How many people are going to go, hmmm I hear the Fort has great TOT so lets eat there too.

I wondered too but it sounds like this takes place pretty much right during ToT.

Still... wouldn't be a stretch for people to skip out a bit early and take their kids around a few loops.

I'm thinking that shutting down ToT at DTD is probably going to impact the Fort more - either with local traffic or just people coming in from other resorts.

I guess we'll see...

Announced 2 days ago in the local paper.

I was just reading your blog from your Grayton Beach trip! I enjoyed it and plan to go back to read more! Thanks for the shoutout for fortfiends.net[/url

BTW Lou, It was evidently announced in the local paper down there that Trick or Treating at Downtown Disney was not going to be happening this year.

It was evidently announced in the local paper down there that Trick or Treating at Downtown Disney was not going to be happening this year.

Oh, that announcement.

Yes it's correct, Happy Haunting at DTD will not take place this year.

The WDW media relations manager said that the event has become so popular and so crowded that it has outgrown being a good guest experience.

Oh, that announcement.

The WDW media relations manager said that the event has become so popular and so crowded that it has outgrown being a good guest experience.

While that is probably true, I bet that if they were charging $63.99 admission they wouldn't cancel it...overcrowded or not.

Oh, that announcement.

This kinda bothers me in that the "experience" might wash over to the Fort for those who know about it. It is crowded there enough with locals during that time.