• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been meaning to get a free second to reply here. I am wondering if this is what happened to my son. We stayed in a cabin in the 2500 loop literally right next to the pool. My son on our very last day ( check out morning) started complaining his back and arm hurt. This was going on while my other son was having heart issues and saying he might faint. Yeah it was a fun start to our ride home . So we knew instead of trying to head home 20 hours we are better off headed to downtown Disney , giving them a look over , and seeing if we needed to do a ER visit.

I get my son out of the car and his arms , back , legs and a small section of his face where covered in hives! My older son panicked because he and his brother just ate the same food and he has food allergies so he thought he would get this also. We suspect some food allergies in my youngest also but are not sure and just avoid certain things with him. The only things I could think of was the pizza they just ate , the frozen drink they just had from 711 , or residue from anything in the cabin ( but that didnt make sense since this was our last day) . Then I realised my genius husband walked my kids through the small wooded section to check out the pool the day before . But then I told myself that nah , that would have shown up that day .

So after seeing this I really do think it was chiggers. He didnt have the small red blisters , but I read a description that said sometimes you get hives instead. Here is a pic of his arm. Btw I ended up giving him a shower and making everyone shower and change clothes just in case one of us had residue on us . I gave him Benadryll and it made the hives disappear within 20 minutes. They kept coming back when the Benadryll wore off but were cleared up in 2 days thankfully. The fact the Benadryll made them disappear after so fast convinced me that they were indeed hives. Here is a pic.

IMAG0310-1.jpg

IMAG0312-1.jpg

I dunno what do you all think ? Chiggers ? Or food allergy reaction? I carry a Epi Pen for my one son but he never had any other symptoms other than the hives. Thank for the heads up TCD. And I am sure glad I didnt bring any of that moss home I had been admiring!!! I was sure thinking of it .

Oh forgot to add. It was in no way bedbugs. My husband was a supervisor at a nice lodge up here in PA that had gotten them a few years ago and we knew to pull everything off and check the beds etc. . I gotta say the mattress was pristine. Plus this was only on my son and on our last day.

In my experience chiggers don't usually go for the arms. They prefer the ankles and upper thigh areas....

Those photos Ed posted could have been of me.

I do have a couple of chigger bites on my hands, and three really bothersome ones under my watch. The rest are mostly on my ankles, in the back of my knees, and in the area above my thighs but below my waist. I don't know why or how the chiggers got under my clothing, but they did.

I have now been back from the Fort for 2 1/2 weeks, and I still have a dozen or so bites that are still red and itchy!

TCD

Those photos Ed posted could have been of me.

I do have a couple of chigger bites on my hands, and three really bothersome ones under my watch. The rest are mostly on my ankles, in the back of my knees, and in the area above my thighs but below my waist. I don't know why or how the chiggers got under my clothing, but they did.

I have now been back from the Fort for 2 1/2 weeks, and I still have a dozen or so bites that are still red and itchy!

TCD

They are not fun.... I lived in the country for a few years and we dealt with ticks, red bugs, and rats often!

Come On People!!!

Chiggers live north of the Mason Dixon Line.

Red Bugs live south.

Cinderella - What your son had is definitely not Red Bugs. Benadryl wouldn't make the whelts go away. The only way to relieve the itching is to get rid of the bug. Many folk remedies for that. Take your pic. There are varying schools of thought on using clear fingernail polish but that is what I've used pretty much my entire life and it seems to work.

Also, Ed, I've never had the blisters you posted, but I've certainly had Red Bugs. Not fun. The blisters would be bad. I would think they would be caused by a pretty severe reaction to the bugs and their saliva. That's my theory anyway.

Come On People!!!

Red Bugs live south.

Dr. Sensei you had better report your findings regarding chiggers and red bugs to the dopey professors at the University of Florida, because, according to this University cooperative extension service publication, chiggers most certainly do live in Florida: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/IG/IG08500.pdf

TCD

You realize I'm just having a little North/South "word" fun don't you? Similar to the "Coke, Pop, Soda" discussion a while back. :rofl2:

I don't care what they are called, if you get them (or they get you) it's miserable.

Come On People!!!

Red Bugs live south.

Cinderella - What your son had is definitely not Red Bugs. Benadryl wouldn't make the whelts go away. The only way to relieve the itching is to get rid of the bug. Many folk remedies for that. Take your pic. There are varying schools of thought on using clear fingernail polish but that is what I've used pretty much my entire life and it seems to work.

Also, Ed, I've never had the blisters you posted, but I've certainly had Red Bugs. Not fun. The blisters would be bad. I would think they would be caused by a pretty severe reaction to the bugs and their saliva. That's my theory anyway.

The blisters were sort of the extreme, so they probably are on someone that had a severe reaction.

Dr. Sensei you had better report your findings regarding chiggers and red bugs to the dopey professors at the University of Florida, because, according to this University cooperative extension service publication, chiggers most certainly do live in Florida: http://edis.ifas.ufl.../IG/IG08500.pdf

TCD

You mean you trust a professor at UF? Most of them still sign with an X

You don't think I'm going to take the U of F dopey professors word on this do you?

Most of them are probably transplants from the North anyway. :rofl3:

You are probably right!

Our tax dollars at work!

TCD

Actually the chiggers probably are transplants from the North - brought down to The Fort by those "Damn Yankees". :rofl2:

You realize I'm just having a little North/South "word" fun don't you? Similar to the "Coke, Pop, Soda" discussion a while back. :rofl2:

I don't care what they are called, if you get them (or they get you) it's miserable.

Oh.

Sorry, I didn't get it.

(I'm a UF grad, you know.)

You mean you trust a professor at UF? Most of them still sign with an X

Yeah. The Dean and University President both signed by Diploma with an "X. "

And I think they used crayons.

So?

TCD

• 4 weeks later...