Hey Fiends-

Just a head's up.

I was at the Fort for a weekend visit two weeks ago.

When I got home, I noticed a lot of red bumps in weird places. Kind of like fire ant bites, but I didn't run into any fire ants. And a lot of these bumps were in places that I wasn't aware any bugs would have access to (under my clothes). And by a lot, I mean like more than 100.

The bumps itched like crazy, then scabbed over, and still itch.

Most have subsided, but a few, even two weeks later, are still bothersome. Some are almost like little red blisters.

I didn't know what was going on.

So, I did a little research.

I have chigger bites.

If you are curious, do a google image search for chigger bites. Parts of me look like some of those photos.

I was the only one in my party who got them. I was also the only one in my party who visited the dog walk areas along the canal by the 1500-1800 loops and the 300 loop.

Do the math.

Be careful out there.

TCD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fiends-

When I got home, I noticed a lot of red bumps in weird places. Kind of like fire ant bites, but I didn't run into any fire ants. And a lot of these bumps were in places that I wasn't aware any bugs would have access to (under my clothes). And by a lot, I mean like more than 100.

The bumps itched like crazy, then scabbed over, and still itch.

Most have subsided, but a few, even two weeks later, are still bothersome. Some are almost like little red blisters.

TCD

What? No pictures? He who documents everything? :P

I hate chiggers!!!

Last year at WDW I had bites on my feet. I was wearing crocs on my morning walks with Brady along the 300 canal, but without socks.

They itched horribly and eventually my foot blew up so badly I almost couldn't get my shoes on.

I scratched for at least a month after we got home.

This year I'm packing extra bug spray.... and socks.

Thanks for the reminder, TCD.

If you can find some calendula salve/oil anywhere (health food store, anywhere that sells herbal stuff) give it a whirl. It tends to work better than most things, including cortisone creams.

Lucky for me my SIL makes it. Works like a charm!

Hope you stop itching soon!

Our camp on the river was actually named, "Chiggerville" Chiggers or redbugs, as they are commonly called, love to get in those warm areas on your body. They like the "crack/wrinkle areas" behind the knees, the bend of your legs at your butt, under your boobs, well you get the picture. Sulphur powder sprinkled on your feet, clothes etc is said to help...my experience says, "it don't do crap!" Bathe in a lightly bleached bath and do what Steph says, 'NAIL POLISH OR A PRODUCT CALLED CHIGGER RID" These products actually suffocate the bug that has burrowed under your skin.

TCD, sorry! I hate redbugs. I know about them because I have had them myself and can say, "omigosh they itch so bad!"

My parents have chiggers (Louisiana) in their ditch. My mom's cure all for all bugs (chiggars, ticks), though I don't recommend it, is a bleach bath. I'd find some of that salve or maybe some tea tree oil (guessing on that one). No matter which one you choose you'll certainly smell.....ummmm... interesting.

I read after doing a search on Chiggers, that it's an "old wives tale" spread by short female campers named Stef.

And why is it that they're aren't any "young wives tales"?

Well, call it what you will, but I've lived in Florida for 28 years and we've all used clear polish on chiggers. The whole idea is to smother them. By all means, if you get chiggers, do not try it! I'd rather they chew your cajones off! >:D

Whats living in Florida for 28 years have to with it little miss Snarky?

Chiggers live all over the US.

The internet says you're wrong and that's that, end of story, period.

Ya, I'm ready. It's raining, my wife is making me clean the house, I'm not in a good mood.

You forgot to add IMHO, Larry. :rofl2:

I must retract my last statement, it seems your wife has your cajones in her possession.

Don't worry your pretty little head about it, I highly doubt you will get chiggers driving a bus.

Now, get back to your cleaning!