CKCK "Lessons Learned" trip report, 10/9-10/13

Ok, I forgot a few things about our first night.

First of all, you can't roast marshmallows over charcoal...very well. We thought we would avoid the crowds and just do it at our site after we grilled the steaks.

Booo. They don't produce enough flame. Needed wood. Luckily, we were at the fort and there is wood everywhere.

It was all wet. So, we had warm marshmallows instead.

Lesson Learned: join the crowd and just do it at the campfire!

That sounded wrong. I meant roast marshmallows at the campfire. Let's keep it G rated here.

After the sing-a-long we headed to the beach to watch the MK Wishes fireworks. We had never seen them from the Fort so didn't really know what to expect. We actually enjoyed them, and the girls really enjoyed them.

I took my camera in hopes of getting some good pics.

I tried to get the boat in this pic, but the fireworks weren't bright enough. Would have been a good pic if the fireworks had been brighter.

6249866893_84b95c01ba.jpg

6250396422_1710452ce6.jpg

6249867137_5d855b7ae8.jpg

Lesson Learned: Take a tripod to get good pics of fireworks.

Other Lesson Learned: Take a real photographer with you to get really good pics of fireworks.

While sitting on our lounges a family came up with a young boy to sit next to us. As I was fooling with different camera settings trying to get the best pics I could, he asked his mom, "Mommy, why do people take pictures of fireworks?"

There were so many things that came into my head at that point.

To remember them.

To show family.

To try to get a great shot to put in my TR.

Shut it, kid.

I chose to not say anything at all.

Lesson Learned: don't take pictures of fireworks unless I know what I'm doing and there aren't kids around!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I forgot a few things about our first night. First of all, you can't roast marshmallows over charcoal...very well. We thought we would avoid the crowds and just do it at our site after we grilled

We just returned from our inaugural camping trip in our new TT to the Fort. We have been to Disney World before. We have camped before (once). This was our second camping trip to the Fort (or EVER fo

Moving on... Here are a few more pics from our first Settlement expedition: If I could sleep on one foot with my head turned around backwards, would I? No. This duck thinks it's a good idea, though

Well howdy neighbor! I live in Conyers! Do you work for the Newton County school system or Rockdale? I work for Rockdale.

We live in Covington, but work in Jasper County. I'm actually taking my band up to the GAMF band contest at Rockdale this Saturday. Do you teach?

Other Lesson Learned: Take a real photographer with you to get really good pics of fireworks.

I think your pics were pretty darned good. And I for one appreciate you sharing them in your TR.

I take pics of fireworks all the time.

I have no idea why.... I just like fireworks.

This trip I have new camera that takes great low light photos.

I will be taking may pictures of fireworks.

And I'll probably be boring you all with them in a TR.

If I run into that kid I'll lob a warm marshmallow at him for you.

First of all, you can't roast marshmallows over charcoal...very well.

You did say you're a teacher?

We live in Covington, but work in Jasper County.

Jasper County, what, was the name Goober County already taken?

I think your pics were pretty darned good. And I for one appreciate you sharing them in your TR.

Don't encourage him Monique because you know what's next, three dozen photos of my beloved EWP.

When I loose my mind, you'll notice I didn't say if, and I decide to do a TR, I'm just getting the obligatory fireworks photos off the internet. Who's gonna know?

They probably won't even be WDW fireworks photos.

We live in Covington, but work in Jasper County. I'm actually taking my band up to the GAMF band contest at Rockdale this Saturday. Do you teach?

My parents lived on the lake in Jasper County for years. It's very pretty down there. No, I don't teach, I'm a registrar at the Career Academy. The students at the three high schools in Rockdale come to us for their career tech classes (culinary, automotive, marketing, graphic design, etc.). It's a really fun place to work. A lot of our students will be at the competition at RCHS next weekend too.

Don't encourage him Monique because you know what's next, three dozen photos of my beloved EWP.

Rats! You've uncovered my evil plot!

When I loose my mind, you'll notice I didn't say if, and I decide to do a TR, I'm just getting the obligatory fireworks photos off the internet. Who's gonna know?

They probably won't even be WDW fireworks photos.

Oh *I* will know.

I take pics of fireworks all the time.

I have no idea why.... I just like fireworks.

This trip I have new camera that takes great low light photos.

I will be taking may pictures of fireworks.

And I'll probably be boring you all with them in a TR.

If I run into that kid I'll lob a warm marshmallow at him for you.

Thanks! Make sure you take lots of the EWP for Lou!

Ok, I figured I'd better get some more put on here before the week starts. This will be a pretty busy week and it may be a couple of days before I can get any more put up.

We were fortunate enough to have some travel company contacts that offered to help us out on park tickets, so Monday morning we got up early to meet them at Epcot to get our tickets for the day.

We decided to take the monorail over instead of the bus, since we figured we would end up at the MK before the day was over.

Here we are on the boat leaving the marina.

6242314405_a7a084786a.jpg

Shoe tree. More on that later...

6242314335_b96dcb0c4f.jpg

6242314519_a40625ab2a.jpg

River Country. More on that later too.

6242832376_34ca35f6a4.jpg

MK as we exited the boat on our way to the Epcot monorail...

6242832530_5388a96bac.jpg

What? You say that the MK doesn't have a direct monorail to Epcot?

Doh.

Lesson Learned: Don't be stupid...learn the monorail routes.

I don't know why, but we both assumed that we could take the monorail from the MK directly to Epcot that morning. I guess this is where our Disney inexperience shows. We know better now.

Yes Lou, I am a teacher. However, I don't teach monorail.

6242314801_f13f7ed346.jpg

So we get to Epcot and get our tickets. Turns out they were not park hoppers, so now we were stuck at Epcot all day. Wasn't our initial plan, but we made it work.

6242315153_614cb34505.jpg

The first thing we did was pick up our Disney Rewards Redemption card. If you go to Disney a lot and don't have a Disney Rewards Visa, I suggest it. We had earned $125 off of our visa to spend as we wished! SWEET! And it was F&W. Even better.

Lesson Learned: Use the Disney Visa for everything to earn more rewards points!

I don't like posting pics of my family on the internet, but I couldn't resist this one:

6242314909_64e3ff45b2.jpg

Lesson Learned: my kids are super cute.

We hit the "kid" rides in Epcot pretty quickly. We had never been on the Seas or Turtle Talk, so we did both of those. DD3 pretty much liked everything, but as expected, DD19mos had a hard time sitting through a lot of the show type attractions.

The aquarium was pretty cool, and we got there just in time to see the end of a dolphin demonstration. I think they are smarter than a lot of kids (not mine, of course).

Not really a hidden mickey, but I had to take a pic anyway.

6242832990_5f782964ab.jpg

After riding several rides, it was about 11:00 and time to hit the world showcase. Woo hoo! F&W here we come.

6242315479_d1bd9f9fab.jpg

DW had been wanting to see some of the lesser traveled places in Epcot, so we hit the gardens and hedge maze in the UK. DD3 had a fun time with that, and it was nice and quiet back there with almost no other people.

6242833546_7416e218d7.jpg

I don't know what this is supposed to be on the hill crossing over into France, but it was cool.

6242834162_7522bff063.jpg

DD3 got to meet Belle here (in her commoner clothes), and DD19mos decided that she hates people. At least meeting people. She decided at this point to either sleep through or throw a fit during ever subsequent character meeting for the rest of the trip. Awesome.

Lesson Learned: as if we didn't already know, our youngest is nothing like our oldest!

We had read a lot of reports about the slushies in France.

We couldn't wait to try them.

The F&W kiosk had a cosmo slushie.

BOOOOO. Who the heck wants a cosmo slushie? Where was the freaking Grand Marnier slushie?

It wasn't open yet.

So we waited.

It was well worth the wait. It was already half gone before I remembered to take a pic.

6242834406_a52b581f71.jpg

Lesson Learned: don't share the slushie with the wife.

I learned, because later in the day we went back to get another, and I opted for the Grey Goose Citron slushie and it was really good too.

Lesson Learned: Slushies with liqueurs are way more fun than regular slushies.

We were so excited about our slushie that I totally forgot to take pics of the food we tried. Nothing blew us away, but it was fun to try different things...especially since we were using our reward points!

After hitting a few countries it was clear it was nap time for the girls.

So we started our long journey back to the Fort.

Monorail.

Change monorails.

Boat.

Golf Cart.

Finally made it to 1802.

I guess we could have just taken the bus back to the Fort, then taken the bus back up to the marina to get our golf cart, but that didn't occur to us.

Lesson Learned: take the bus to Epcot.

After lunch and resting at the TT, we headed back over to Epcot mid afternoon (on the bus this time).

I honestly don't remember everything we did now, but I do remember we ate more food and had more slushies.

Maybe that's why I don't remember.

We went to the coke place and tried all the different drinks.

DD3 tried Beverly.

I should have gotten a picture of it.

If you've never tried it, you should. It's great...

Since we have the Disney Visa we got to go to the special character greet in Innoventions West.

Short line and a private pic with Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. Plus we got a free 5x7 of it. Not a bad deal, and DD3 loved meeting the characters. As expected, DD19mos wanted nothing to do with any of them.

Lesson Learned: I like getting perks!

Then it was time for my favorite ride at Epcot.

Soarin'?

Mission: Space?

Test Track?

Nope.

Living with the Land!

Yes!

I don't really care about the first half of it, except that you get to sit down for awhile inside.

But the greenhouse is where the excitement pics up!

I don't know why, but I really dig seeing all of the plants growing in unusual ways. Plus, it just makes me feel healthy being around all the vegetation!

Lesson Learned: I'm a dork.

Here are the pics:

6242320041_654da56732.jpg

6242837432_c8ca735b18.jpg

I don't really care for all the fish they have in there, but whatever.

6242319389_8e2a578dd5.jpg

6242836924_8acf5f5b27.jpg

6242318875_05c9737a86.jpg

6242836276_03cf22a4dd.jpg

Another non-hidden Mickey.

6242835666_58e9dfbb3a.jpg

They even grow scarecrows and dried corn stalks in here!

6242319009_40584175d8.jpg

Okay, so I probably just lost half of you after all the pics of plants, but I think they're cool.

For those of you still awake, we press on.

After meeting Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, it was time for dinner. We needed a place to sit and relax...and get the girls out of the strollers.

We ended up at La Cantina.

$50 for nachos, tacos, two kids meals, a lemonade, and a margarita.

Ouch. Our rewards card was getting kind of low.

We had an awful time trying to get a table in there. DW was on one side, and I was on the other. Somehow every other person in there was able to beat us to a table. Even the old lady who beat me. How I let that happen I don't know. It almost ruined my night.

We finally got a table. Paid $50. Ate some okay food.

yay.

Lesson Learned: Make dinner out of the F&W kiosks in the showcase. Duh.

We were going to try to stay for IllumiNations, but decided it was best if we headed back to the Fort.

First I tried some pics using some different settings and putting my camera on a railing. This was the best one:

6242838976_275352ede5.jpg

After some late looping and taking in the fireworks from MNSSHP, it was time to call it a night.

Coming up: rope drop at the MK (kind of), not many pictures in the MK, and finding the missing tetherball!

We were at the Blue Ridge festival this weekend and are heading to LaFayette Marching Classic this weekend followed by Old South in Newnan in two weeks. Any chance you may be there also?

Are you talking about Rockmart? I've stayed at that campground when our Scouts biked the Silver Comet trail. Nice place. I bet the concerts are fun. Enjoying your report!!!

What? You say that the MK doesn't have a direct monorail to Epcot?

I've told you guys over and over again that you can't rely on the monorails and this is just another case that proves it.

Yes Lou, I am a teacher. However, I don't teach monorail.

Good thing.

6242314909_64e3ff45b2.jpg

Lesson Learned: my kids are super cute.

I absolutely agree, too cute.

Not really a hidden mickey, but I had to take a pic anyway.

6242832990_5f782964ab.jpg

They prefer to be called deliberate Mickeys.

Lesson Learned: I'm a dork.

I'm not saying anything.

First I tried some pics using some different settings and putting my camera on a railing. This was the best one:

6242838976_275352ede5.jpg

You do have a lot of nice pics, but I agree, this is the best one

and finding the missing tether-ball!

Is that a lame attempt at a tease?

Wow!

What a great start to a trip report!

Well done!

I am late joining in, so I have a bunch of comments.

For the sake of brevity, I will limit them to ten:

1. You are a very good photographer!

2. I love all of the lessons- and these could be helpful to other newbies.

3. The trailer packing will most definitely get easier. If you use your trailer a lot, you will find yourself acquiring things that you will just leave in the trailer- like a broom, pots and pans, extension cords, a fan, bedding, tools, flashlights, etc. Eventually, by trial and error, you will get rid of the stuff you never use, and then have your trailer equipped and ready to go. Then, when it's time to go camping, all you have to do is throw in your clothes and food, and you are good to go.

4. Love the photo of the vent being held up with painter's tape. Not many people would take a photo of that type of thing.

5. Man, that is a lot of standing water! Not so common this time of year, but it rained all day the day before you arrived. And, the Fort does not have the best drainage system.

6. I've never seen the tetherball courts flooded like that. I have seen many a missing ball. Rotten kids. You are right to a certain extent about Rocky, he would have been wet, but probably not too upset.

7. I agree with you 100% about hating Rocky Top. Thank goodness Tennessee is so awful, so I don't have to hear that danged aberration the one time each year I watch a Tennessee game. The one good thing about the song is that it always makes me think about how Lame Kitten said he looked forward to staying up all night and singing it when the Vols beat the Gators. LOL!

8. Your fireworks photos are pretty good for no tripod. Next time, use the trashcan there on the beach.

9. Good job getting photos of the shoe tree and River Country! And I am interested in the more on that later comment! You are not the average newbie.

10. LOL at your monorail adventure! Maybe you are the average newbie after all. But hey, we all had to learn that at some time. Now you know.

11. I see what you are doing with your Beverly comment. Nice job.

12. You are correct- the CKCK kids are super cute! I understand your hesitation about posting photos of your family, but I think a lot of us would like to see more!

OK- that was twelve comments.

Sorry.

And, I have one more topic to touch on. And, this one includes a question.

What time of day did you see those two castmembers with the horse?

You didn't realize it, but there is something special about that horse.

That particular horse plays a very important role in the Haunted Carriage Rides that go on at the Fort every night in October.

In fact, every evening in October, if you watch, you will see two castmembers dressed in black walk that horse over to a secret area behind the Settlement Trading Post. Later that evening, the Haunted Carriage Rides will be passing by that way. The guests on the Haunted Carriage Rides will be greeted by a certain someone riding that horse.

The two young ladies were obviously doing a little covert training for this horse.

TCD

Great trip report - and I like your lessons learned comments, always a good thing to learn from others!

I guess the folks in the witness protection program are going to have to work extra hard now that the photos are out on the net. Have they mailed you any Groucho Marx glasses and mustache yet? The kids are very cute, you are going to enjoy the next few years for sure!

Are you talking about Rockmart? I've stayed at that campground when our Scouts biked the Silver Comet trail. Nice place. I bet the concerts are fun. Enjoying your report!!!

No, definitely not Rockmart. Rockdale County is just outside of Atlanta. Rockmart is, well...not sure exactly where, but it isn't here! :)

Still loving the trip report. Love the picture of your wife and precious daughters.