CKCK "Lessons Learned" trip report, 10/9-10/13

Great job CK!! You now have the same fort bug that has bitten us. I told another fiend the other day: "As long as I can pay my bills and go to the fort every month or so, I'm happy!" :)

I too am excited for your next trip...and report!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I forgot a few things about our first night. First of all, you can't roast marshmallows over charcoal...very well. We thought we would avoid the crowds and just do it at our site after we grilled

We just returned from our inaugural camping trip in our new TT to the Fort. We have been to Disney World before. We have camped before (once). This was our second camping trip to the Fort (or EVER fo

Moving on... Here are a few more pics from our first Settlement expedition: If I could sleep on one foot with my head turned around backwards, would I? No. This duck thinks it's a good idea, though

Where to start....

Loved the resort pics. We've only seen two other's besides the Fort. Wilderness Lodge (spectacular with Christmas Decor) and All Star music and I think the Fort Rules! At the fort it feels like you have a choice of participating or not, while at the resorts you are surrounded....

Anyone know what these stairs go to way up in the ceiling of the Lodge?

6242848752_4f5d846ab5.jpg

That actually goes to the roof (I think). They have a little thing called "flag family of the day" where a family gets to go up on the roof with a Wilderness Lodge Ranger and raise the flags each morning, (or lower them in the evening, don't remember which).

Loved this TR. I agree with you about the Fort, we actually had ressies for WL for Labor Day, I always wanted to stay there, the closer it got to leaving the more I was regretting not being at the Fort. Long story short, I was checking on line and a premium site opened up for our time frame. I figured it was kismet and immediately changed our reservation. It cost me double to bring the MH home but it was well worth it.

Band mom here too, saxophones and trumpets rule!

It's the horse drunk tank.

It's in the Trolley barn/house/garage or whatever they call it. One door happened to be open when we walked by so I started snapping.

Has anyone ever ridden the trolley? I've never even seen it in operation. Guess I haven't been there enough yet.

Good job on the taking the photos because the door happened to be open. This looks like it is intended to be seen by guests. You have given me something new to look for on my next MK visit!

Lesson Learned: The Great Movie Ride sucks.

I won't argue this point with you, but I suggest that you give it another try on a future visit.

Accept it for what it is- an amazing idea for an attraction that is woefully out of date.

I am 50, and have no clue about more than half of the movies featured in the ride. I don't know who they thought their target audience was, but apparently you would need to be 80+ to remember the movies featured.

But, the thing that I love about this attraction is the castmembers who narrate the tours. I don't know who picks these people, but someday I want to meet him and shake his hand. We have had everything from a female version of Mushmouth, to the most amazing monotone you could ever imagine. An inside joke among the TCD gang is to say "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?" in the slowest monotone we possibly can. So far, none of us has come close to the monotone castmember's skill.

Lesson Learned: Always plan in some "down" days to relax! That's the point of being at the Fort anyway!

This is the best lesson you learned on your trip.

Too many people miss that one.

Good job!

Here's the pavilion. My question is this: was this part of RC, or was it built specifically for the Fort/Mickey's backyard bbq?

6242843336_1aa8fb61b5.jpg

That pavilion was part of River Country. It was the seating area for folks who picked up food from the counter service restaurant, Pop's Place. As with Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, guests were also allowed to bring in picnic lunches, and they could use the tables here for dining.

The Backyard BB came along much later. It actually was a smart move on somebody's part to use that abandoned building for something that can make a few bucks.

Old RC bathrooms. It was really interesting that they are open, clean, maintained, and working. But for whom? Being way back in the back, I can't imagine anyone going there. Do they use these for the BBQ people?

6242843714_ea1d466896.jpg

You guessed right on this. Those restrooms are used for the Backyard BBQ guests. But, as you may have noticed, they are not locked, so passers by (which there are not many of) are free to partake as well.

Our neighbors apparently had come knocking on our door and windows afraid that we were in there. They even called the front desk hoping that the Fort management could get a hold of us on our cells.

Guess what?

They didn't.

Didn't even try. Not even a missed call on our home phone (in case that was the only number that had for us).

Thanks, management.

Well that's pretty bad. They always ask for a cell number that they can reach you on when you check in. I guess if it was something important to them they could get ahold of you (like maybe if you parked your truck with a wheel off of the parking pad).

There was a dad in the pool with his young son, and he put the kid on his shoulders.

Oh, no, call the Fort po po because the dad just broke the rules.

After a stern talking to by "Mr. I'm 21 and a lifeguard," he got the memo that no fun is allowed in the big pool.

I'm all for pool safety, and that means not letting kids get crazy with their pool games. But a dad can't even play with his kid?

DD3 wanted me to throw her up in the air and so forth, but I wasn't interesting in arguing with a 21 year old lifeguard, so we opted to not.

Lesson Learned: No fun allowed in the Meadows pool unless you're going down the slide...which we did not.

Well, that is pretty sad.

I'm past the point of putting my kids on my shoulders, but we used to do that a lot.

Boo on the Fort lifeguards!

They must report to the same imbecile manager as the Fort rangers.

I had seen TCD's shoe tree pics a while back. I didn't realize how many shoes were actually on it. Maybe there have been more added since he last took pics of it. Either way, there were a lot.

6242327683_136a7fd25c.jpg

These actually looked pretty nice. Look like they could have been CM shoes, too.

6242327911_1d72e8d0b2.jpg

6242845394_b329f3f5f0.jpg

Heck yes, there are a lot more shoes on the Shoe Tree than I have seen or photographed in a long time!

This time last year, the Shoe Tree was shoeless and had been for a long time.

And, that is the first time (and I hope the last) that I have seen a tetherball in the Shoe Tree.

I give that one a great big What The Fort?

I'm glad Rocky doesn't know how to use a computer, because he would be pretty upset if he saw that photo.

You know what I do like about the Poly?

DOLE WHIP.

I got my first ever self serve Dole Whip. Nice.

OK, you have done great so far with this report, so I hate to critique you here.

But I must.

For the common good.

In the future, when you make a self-serve Dole Whip, you are required to take a photo and post it in your trip report.

You've been warned.

Next time, don't forget!

The only faces that you can see out of all of those characters are Goofy and Pluto. What's that all about? Is there a reason? There has to be some reason.

Lesson Learned: There are many mysteries at Disney, but nothing is coincidence.

I can't help you with this one.

I never noticed those tiles before.

And, I don't give a rip about the Grand Floridian.

TCD

We learned not to be that guy after a close call with our 3 y/o playing with the stove one morning. Now we remove the knobs when the burner is not in use.

I keep my propane tank turned off unless I am going to use it. It doesn't even take a three year old to accidentally turn a knob. Propane is dangerous- mine is always off. I do all my cooking outside.

That actually goes to the roof (I think). They have a little thing called "flag family of the day" where a family gets to go up on the roof with a Wilderness Lodge Ranger and raise the flags each morning, (or lower them in the evening, don't remember which).

Yes that's where it goes. But, you can't go up there without a castmember. They used to offer tours of the Lodge, but I don't think they do anymore.

TCD

Great Job on the TR. Awesome work you did crystallizing some the same thoughts I've always had.

Lifeguarding is an important job, but some don't understand the "situational" nature of communication. The way you approach 13 YO kids running on the wet concrete, should probably be a little dif't than the approach for a 40ish YO adult giving their youngster a ride on their shoulders.

To each his own on the Great Movie Ride. It's a sentimental fav for me, but I can understand your view as well. I have a couple of those kind of rides. They aren't great in subject matter/presentation/setup, but they still bring a smile. Not sure why, but Captain EO falls into the category. It was cool to see when I was younger, now I'm thrilled its back. Not sure, but the last two sentences might cost me points on my "Man Card."

It can be crazy in the parks, crazy waiting in lines for the boat at the MK, people everywhere. Loud music everywhere. Yet once you step onto the dock at the marina, you hear the Fort background music playing on the "hidden" outdoor speakers, and it's just relaxing. Everything is spread out. There are trees. Animals. Grass. Water. Lots of people, but you never feel like there are lots of people. You can smell food grilling outside, smell the fried chicken coming from the Trails End, maybe even smell the horses. When the sun goes down...it's dark. You hear birds, crickets, frogs...the occasional golf cart whizzing by. You might be one of those golf carts whizzing by. Late night looping. Waving at people passing by. Waving at people sitting outside. Everyone is friendly. Helpful. Considerate (for the most part).

I think you summed up perfectly why we all love the Fort. It's our own little oasis in the shadow of a theme park. Who could ask for anything more?

Thanks for the great trip report! I learned a lot of lessons along the way!

Finally catching up on the great TRs I've been missing, and this one's worth coming back for. Great story, great pix! This comment:

I also started thinking about horses. They are strong. Especially this one. It was huge. Two people (women or not) could not possibly hold on to it if it decided to run after a squirrel or cat or something. Luckily horses don't chase squirrels or cats, but think about if they did!

stopped me in my tracks. HILARIOUS image there! :rofl2:

Great trip report I really enjoyed it and all your great pictures!!!!!!!1 We are also DVC members and have stayed in some of the condos but you are right the Fort is more relaxing and the people there are more friendly, at the resorts I do not think any one says hello in passing but as in most campgrounds folks always say hi. Once again thanks for a great trip report makes me feel like I am almost there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've driven that car around WDW, pretty scary. Drives like a Mack truck.

I've also been to the roof, but I don't recall if I used those stairs, it's been a few years.

Hey Lou did you ever get to dive the yellow DVC car that came from one of the National Parks? The gentleman that drove us in it back in 2004 was very knowledgable(sp) about it and we had a great ride back to the Fort when we bought into DVC back then.

Hey Lou did you ever get to dive the yellow DVC car that came from one of the National Parks? The gentleman that drove us in it back in 2004 was very knowledgable(sp) about it and we had a great ride back to the Fort when we bought into DVC back then.

Nope, never drove that one.

The only reason I got to drive the GF car was because I worked in the concierge dept. there.