Williamsburg, VA and Washington D.C. campgrounds ?

We're hoping to make a spring 2012 trip to visit Williamsburg, VA and Washington D.C.

Any suggestions on where to camp ? We've got a big 'ole travel trailer. Any experiences in those areas ?

Any tips - camping related or not ?

Could we camp in one central location and just drive to both WIlliamsburg and D.C. ?

What month is best to visit ? Missing school is not a factor.

Thanks so much!! ::)

Mitzi

In the D.C area the most recomended campground is Cherry Hill, it is right near the highway but I have never heard of to many complaints, they also help you plan yor tours. As far as Williamsburg goes most people suggest American Heritage Campground a little bit out of the tourist area but not bad, I would not use Anvil Campground unless you like trains as a lot of their sites back up to a busy train line.

We've stayed at both places and agree that they are the best in each of those areas.

You need to watch at Williamsburg because some places have reduced or shortened hours outside of the high tourist season which is between Memorial weekend and Labor Day weekend.

If you were going to be there the during the first two weeks of June, I would recommend going to Norfolk on June 8th and watch the arrival of the Tall Ships for Opsail 2012. Its a spectacular sight watching the sailing ships and their crews sail into port. I believe the ships are also going to Baltimore but I'm not sure of the date. You can check out the website www.opsail2012virginia.com and find links to the other ports and their schedules to see if that would fit into your vacation. As far as the campgrounds. we were planning on staying at Cherry Hill for a few days while we toured Washington DC and then move to a campground around Williamsburg since we are going to Opsail 2012 in Norfolk. However, our work schedule has changed so now we are flying in to Norfolk instead of camping.

You mention that missing school is not a factor. I can't remember if you homeschool or not. If you do, did you know they actually have a fall and winter Homeschool event at Williamsburg? They also mention that if you cannot make it to one of these then contact them and they have discounted rates for homeschool families.

Here is the link.

http://www.history.org/history/teaching/grouptours/schoolandyouth/homeschools.cfm

We stayed at both Cherry Hill and American Heritage in May 2009 during an extended trip down the east coast we took with our kids, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at them again. I wouldn't try to stay at one campground to see both cities. If you are interested in my pics of American Heritage, click here. http://travel.websho...574198871Moatkh

Half the fun of Williamsburg is going out in the evening for some shopping and to get a treat. And speaking of treats...try to hit the following places which are faves of ours:

Sal's by Victor for Italian food, including pizza and pasta

DSCF9407[2].jpg

Sno To Go for a stuffed snowball...awesome!

DSCF9463[3].jpg

And hit Handel's for homemade ice cream!

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if you know this, but some of us do GGs in Gettysburg during spring/summer months. We'd love to have you join in the fun.

And just think of the lesson plans... you could move from the revolutionary war right into the civil war with a stop for political shenangans tucked in between... :rofl2:

Not sure if you know this, but some of us do GGs in Gettysburg during spring/summer months. We'd love to have you join in the fun.

And just think of the lesson plans... you could move from the revolutionary war right into the civil war with a stop for political shenangans tucked in between... :rofl2:

Do I hear a chance for a GG around Easter again, but without the MUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmm, without the mud we'd only have had Beth & Starla's scavenger bunny quest to rag on though... and DD10 got the most useful pair of rubber boots out of the weekend after we all trashed our shoes. :rofl2:

Mud or not, I'd do it again in a heartbeat... :jumpforjoy