I have an extra Mickey lamp built and will be bringing it with me to the Fort in December. We'll be there from Nov 30th to Dec 14th.

If you are going to be there at the same time and you would like to buy one rather than build one, please send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

It's a 12" globe with 6" ears, the ears are lit as well and it's complete with a post and a solid base.

It looks just like this!

FinishedMickeyLamp-1.jpg

• 2 years later...

I would be willing to build one for some one. However they are not cheap to build, not sure, but must be close to 75-100 dollars in one in materials.

You can go a little bit less than that if you use PVC for the post instead of a metal lamp post. I think my materials ran about $50. Also instead of an Umbrella base, I used a PVC toilet flange on the bottom and stake that into the ground.

I just built a second one for the house and I use PVC as the base. Mine cost me $60 for the globes and base. The hole saw is the expensive part of the build.

Oh, I didn't use a hole saw. I used a small drill bit to drill holes at various points around the circle(s), then used a Dremel which I already had to finish it out.

A hole saw is the way to go . . . but yes, they do cost $20 - $30.  Good news - you only have to buy it once.

When you use the hole saw, keep it flat to the surface of the globe and keep it moving at all times. 

Use light pressure, don't press too hard.

I have found that it melts it's way through as much as it cuts it's way through.

Just rub around the edges with a file or sandpaper to remove any beads of melted acrylic and you're ready to glue!

A hole saw is the way to go . . . but yes, they do cost $20 - $30.  Good news - you only have to buy it once.

When you use the hole saw, keep it flat to the surface of the globe and keep it moving at all times. 

Use light pressure, don't press too hard.

I have found that it melts it's way through as much as it cuts it's way through.

Just rub around the edges with a file or sandpaper to remove any beads of melted acrylic and you're ready to glue!

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they have inexpensive hole saw sets.  They aren't the greatest if you were to use them everyday, but for an occasional hole they work great.

Check out local thrift stores for old lamps to salvage fixtures from also

I had to get started for next years Christmas display. We are adding the Fab Five to the yard next year as trees. The globes are going on top for Mickey and Minnie. The others I will be forming chicken wire and wrapping in colored garland and of course decorating with proper colors for each character. Ok this is my excuse to DW why we need more.

I had to get started for next years Christmas display. We are adding the Fab Five to the yard next year as trees. The globes are going on top for Mickey and Minnie. The others I will be forming chicken wire and wrapping in colored garland and of course decorating with proper colors for each character. Ok this is my excuse to DW why we need more.

You know we are going to need pictures of this, right?