If you don't have lobster, this is also good with crab meat, chicken or no meat at all!

There's not a lot of exact measuring on this one. I mostly eyeball the consistency of the sauce and taste along the way, but here's what I usually use to make up one pan of the goodness...

1 lb cut pasta - shape of your choice, I like rotini or the corkscrewy ones, something that really holds onto the cheese. You can really use any cheese you like, but I've tried all sorts of combinations and this one gives you a really creamy sauce with just a bit of a sharpness to it.

1 block of gruyere cheese

1 block of fontina cheese

1 pkg of cream cheese

butter (2-3 tablespoons)

dairy (amount varies - approx 2 to 4 cups) - you can use heavy cream for totally decadent or just whole milk if you want to lighten it up a bit. Light cream is a happy medium

lobster meat - again amount varies. For a good "bit of lobster in each bite" I suggest three small lobsters - 1 to 1.5 lbs each. More is always better. :)

flour (2-3 of tablespoons)

salt and pepper

cooking oil spray

Preheat oven to 400

Hardware:

Large sauce pan NOTE: It needs to be big enough to make the sauce in and then add the cooked pasta in with room to stir well.

Baking dish/casserole pan - I like the disposable aluminum ones for this

Aluminum foil

Cook the pasta, being sure to salt the water. Make sure it is cooked until just barely al dente - still a bit firm. It'll soften more when you bake it in the sauce. If it's too cooked, the finished product will be kind of mushy. Drain and rinse pasta and set aside.

Cook the lobsters - I prefer to steam them and leave them a tiny bit undercooked as they'll finish cooking in the casserole and I don't want the meat tough. When cool enough, remove ALL meat - claws, tail, you can even take a rolling pin and get all the meat out of the little feeler claws. Rinse off the meat if needed. Don't waste any! Cut the larger bits of meat into small chunks and set meat aside.

Grate the blocks of cheese. Does not have to be finely grated - I generally use the biggest holes on my block grater. Set aside 1 cup total of the grated cheese to put on top of the casserole.

Melt butter in a large sauce pan.

Stir in flour to make a roux which will thicken the sauce. If you use more butter, you'll need a bit more flour. Let it cook for a couple of minutes while stirring but don't let it brown.

Add 2 cups of the dairy of your choice and heat to almost a boil then turn down to barely a simmer.

Add in the cream cheese and stir until smooth and completely dissolved.

Start slowly adding in the grated cheese by handfuls. Stir in each handful until it melts before adding the next. Keep stirring and watch the heat - turn it down if needed so that the bottom of the pot doesn't burn.

At this point check the consistency of the sauce - it should still be a bit liquidy, not thick like paste. Add more dairy if needed. If it's too liquidy, sprinkle a tiny bit more flour in and stir well.

Taste the sauce - salt if needed and add a generous amount of black pepper.

Turn off the heat and add in the pasta and stir well until completely coated. Add in the lobster meat and stir well again.

Take a baking or casserole pan and give it a light spray/rub with cooking oil.

Put the mixture in the pan. You don't need to pack it down tightly, just get it all in there. Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 or until the cheese on top starts to brown.

Enjoy!

Thank you Monique. :heart: I would never waste any lobster, I eat every bit I can find. Most people don't know how to eat lobsters and they think the only meat is in the tail. HOW WRONGE but I love to have lobster with people who don't know because there is more for me :jumpforjoy

Thank you Monique. :heart: I would never waste any lobster, I eat every bit I can find. Most people don't know how to eat lobsters and they think the only meat is in the tail. HOW WRONGE but I love to have lobster with people who don't know because there is more for me :jumpforjoy

I'm SO with you, Lorna!

When I cooked the lobster for the batch of mac 'n cheese I brought to the GG, I rolled the meat out of all of the tiny claws and you wouldn't believe how much meat was in them, even in small lobsters. And the knuckle meat is some of the tastiest there is.

We used to be able to get really huge lobsters from a place in MA. Biggest one was 15 lbs - we picked at that thing for HOURS. Even the fins at the end of the tail had meat in them.

Just cooked up 3 lobsters to make a batch to bring with us to Brian's family on Thanksgiving.

It's actually a lot easier than the lengthy directions appear. Make a roux, throw in cheese, mix with pasta and lobster and bake.

I've tried all kinds of cheese combinations including cheddar, emmentaler, swiss... one time I just took the cheese remnants from the drawer (which I think included a few slices of American) and it was good. Whatever your preference, I recommend including at least one good, creamy cheese, and steering clear of the crumbly ones that don't melt well.

Otherwise... have at it!

Oh and if you like a bit of a crunchy crust on top, sprinkle with bread crumbs (I like panko) and toss a few pats of butter on top. Take the foil off a bit earlier and cook until GBD (golden, brown and delicious)

Lorna, we need to get together and eat lobster one day! I love lobster and I know how to eat it...I even suck the meat out of those tiny little legs! I was born in Maine, but my parents used to say that I hated lobster until we moved away and it started to cost twice as much! :laugh: