PezheadVal's October - November Trip Report

I've never written a trip report before, but for you guys I thought I'd give it a try. I'll take Bob's advice and use a bigger font and will apologize now for my improper use of ellipsis...its a habit and I tend to use them like comas.

This trip was a bonus trip for us...me and the kids hitched a ride to Disney World with my parents while my husband stayed home for most of the time to work. My grandmother is a snowbird and we bring her down to her place, get her all settled in for her winter in Florida and then head over to spend the month at Ford Wilderness.

Our first glimpse of the Disney World sign.

2011-10-20MK006.jpg

We got to the Fort and were hoping to be in the 100 loop, but was told that they wanted the loop cleared out to do some trimming by the first of November, so they put us in the 200 loop instead. We got site 237 and really did like our site.

As soon as we got settled, we headed to the boat dock to go to Magic Kingdom. We always start and end our trips at Magic Kingdom...its such a classic.

2011-10-20MK026.jpg

Magic Kingdom was decorated for Halloween.

2011-10-20MK029.jpg

We got into the park just in time for the 3:00 parade. We noticed lots of cameras set up and asked about it. They said that there was a special guest as the Grand Marshall today...Miss. America. They were filming her riding down Main Street with a few adorable kids from Make a Wish.

2011-10-20MK032.jpg

2011-10-20MK039.jpg

2011-10-20MK042b.jpg

We then got to watch the parade. I think this is the only time that we stood to watch the whole thing this trip.

2011-10-20MK048.jpg

2011-10-20MK050.jpg

And my favorite part of the parade...Fairy Godmother. I LOVE her! I consider it such a treat when I look up and see her. She IS Fairy Godmother.

2011-10-20MK064b.jpg

Looking through pics from our first day, I realized that we spent most of our time wandering around Main Street. We caught a performance from the Dapper Dans.

2011-10-20MK070.jpg

We wondered around the candy store. How cute are these popcorn buckets! I'm much too cheap to buy one, so I took a picture instead.

2011-10-20MK073.jpg

I love the Mickey jack o lanterns on the light poles.

2011-10-20MK075.jpg

I was thrilled to catch the band playing. Being a trumpet player myself, I just love hearing the band...especially those trumpets. Man, they can play!

2011-10-20MK082.jpg

Oh look! We did make it off of Main Street! We stopped to listen to the band playing at the front of Country Bears. Can you tell we are big music fans? We stop for all music. While we were listening, the kids ran over to pin trade with the cast member there. They are pin trading maniacs.

2011-10-20MK104.jpg

Well that sums up our first day at the Happiest Place on Earth. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay! I'm so glad you're doing a trip report! I am also a band geek!

Yay! I"m glad they liked the special suckers we got for Fiend kids!

Aww, poor Mater! I hear ya about the pool! But I do remember being like your kids and swimming no matter how blue my lips turned. Ahhh, to be young again. I like the bathroom pic! It's definitely not

Day two was an Epcot day. Epcot was pretty crowded most of our trip because of the Food and Wine Festival. We hung out here for a little while, then went back to the Fort to do the campfire and sing along.

He's got his ticket and is ready to go!

2011-10-21Epcot001.jpg

Me and my daughter.

2011-10-21Epcot003b.jpg

2011-10-21Epcot011.jpg

My kids loved the cranberry bog and free Craisins.

2011-10-21Epcot012.jpg

I guess I didn't take many Epcot shots that day...but onto the campground.

Time to roast some marshmallows. I think this is the first time we saw these fire pits. I like these ones better. They seemed to hold more people then the older ones.

2011-10-21Epcot036.jpg

2011-10-21Epcot050.jpg

My kiddos with Chip.

2011-10-21Epcot051.jpg

We walked through the 600 loop on our way home from the Campfire and my kids were thrilled to see Packers decorations. My husband is originally from Wisconsin and we are big Packers fans.

2011-10-21Epcot052.jpg

We walked into the camp store and took a pic of these Fort Wilderness chairs. They are cool but again, I'm too cheap.

2011-10-21Epcot053.jpg

We ended up near Fiesty's site and stood there watching the Headless Horseman chasing carriages through the woods.

2011-10-21Epcot054.jpg

We walked down to the beach to watch fireworks. It was a MNSSHP night, so we got to see Hallowishes.

2011-10-21Epcot071.jpg

Me and my kids snuggled together on a lounge chair on the beach and watched my son's favorite...the Electric Water Pageant.

2011-10-21Epcot082.jpg

Finally we walked back to our site and called it a night.

2011-10-21Epcot065.jpg

We started our Studios day with Indiana Jones. My 5 year old absolutely LOVES the Indiana Jones show. He has never seen any of the movies, but obsessively watches videos of the stunt show, dresses like Indiana Jones and acts out the whole show all the time at home.

2011-10-23Studios030.jpg

2011-10-23Studios033.jpg

When leaving the theater we got a cool view of the idol. My son wants one really bad.

2011-10-23Studios041.jpg

We rode Toy Story Mania next. It's our favorite ride and we take it very seriously. I am the champ among my crew. No one has beat me yet. This ride was not our best...my Dad is on the left and I'm on the right.

2011-10-23Studios059.jpg

My son is a map man. Every day when we walk into a park he will grab a map, fold it up and put it under his hat. He walks around reading it all the time and will often ask if we can sit on a bench and make a plan. lol He is so like his daddy.

2011-10-23Studios062.jpg

On to the Great Movie Ride and a quick stop to see Mary Poppins' carousel horse.

2011-10-23Studios065.jpg

We usually end up with the "B" ride where a gangster takes over your ride car, but we got the "A" ride this time with the cowboy. Yay!

2011-10-23Studios067.jpg

2011-10-23Studios072.jpg

On the way out of the ride, Sam wanted to run back and see "Indiana Jones'" hand prints. Did I mention how much this kid loves Indiana Jones? lol

2011-10-23Studios074.jpg

And finally, a shot of the Earful Tower from the Backlot Tour. I so wish they updated some of those movie props. It's time! Some of that stuff has been sitting outside forever!

2011-10-23Studios077b.jpg

Thanks so much for writing a report! I read them for years before I ever decided to write one. I guess we always feel like no one cares what we did on our vacation, but that's so not true! It's great to see what others experienced, liked or disliked.

It looks like you had a great time! Your son and the "map planning" is adorable.

I have never seen the band playing in front of Country Bears. See, you taught me something new!

One of the great thing about the fiends is we sometimes spell things wrong, sometimes don't make any sense at all and sometimes......we all like to use ellipsis. :)) It's all good!!

Thanks so much guys! You really know how to make a girl feel welcomed. :)

Now...on with the show...

My kids begged every morning to start the day with a golf cart ride. They loved riding around and it was especially nice because we really got a chance to see all of the awesome decorations.

2011-10-26099.jpg

While cruising around we saw a disabled Disney bus in front of the Meadow Trading Post. Someone pulled off the road with their motorhome right across from the bus, too. Not sure what was going on there, but we decided to turn around and take a different route.

2011-10-26069.jpg

If we get anywhere near a playground, my kids beg to play for a while. This playground by the dog park area is their favorite. They love it because of the zip line. They want one for the back yard.

2011-10-26075.jpg

My little monkey can now do the monkey bars all by himself. He was so proud. :)

2011-10-26078.jpg

These are the cool Halloween decorations at the site near the playground. At night they had these super cool smoke bubbles. Man, I loved those things. I saw several people had them this year. I need to get one of those machines!

2011-10-26072.jpg

More decorations!

2011-10-26067.jpg

2011-10-26096.jpg

We headed over to the Bike Barn to see if they had any info or a schedule of events for Halloween. They didn't. But, we did get a "Camp or Treating" sign to hang up for Trick or Treating.

2011-10-26065.jpg

Then, Magic Kingdom day means taking the boat...yay! I love the boat ride! The shoe tree had shoes on it again! I don't think there were any shoes on it last time I was down.

2011-10-24MK001.jpg

I really enjoy the many little details around WDW. I loved these beautiful flowers in a hanging basket in the line of the Jungle Cruise. So pretty!

2011-10-24MK014.jpg

The Jungle Cruise! The lions enjoying a little zebra...white meat, dark meat, white meat, dark meat...

2011-10-24MK017.jpg

And of course, there is Ol' Smiley and his girlfriend Ginger. Be careful...Ginger snaps. She is one tough cookie. ;)

2011-10-24MK020.jpg

On one of our Jungle Cruise rides it was the last ride of the night. The only people on the boat was my family and one other lady. I felt a tickle feeling on my leg and didn't think much of it until I finally look down and see a HUGE cockroach climbing up my leg! Ewwww! We saw two other ones running around the boat that night, too. I love the Jungle Cruise...not so much a fan of the roaches.

We were excited to see how the new Fantasyland was coming along.

2011-10-24MK041.jpg

2011-10-24MK042.jpg

We decided that we needed to visit the Main Street Bakery for a snack. I got a blueberry muffin and it was good, but there are never enough blueberries in it for my liking. My 5 year old walked through and looked at all the pastries, cookies and cupcakes and chose...a fruit cup. lol

2011-10-24MK027.jpg

This picture doesn't do it justice, but holy cow were the bugs bad on the boat dock! Every light pole was covered, they were just swarming all around. The boat pulled in and made an announcement that they would not be turning on any lights because they don't want to attract any more bugs onto the boat. I never saw the bugs quite that bad.

2011-10-24MK096.jpg

Great update!

That's weird about the bugs at the dock.

I have seen these bugs swarm before, both at the Fort and over at the Contemporary dock, too.

But, I didn't see any on our trip- so it must have just been on certain nights.

I recall complaints about mosquitoes from some of the first to arrive before Halloween, but those were all gone as well by the time we arrived.

TCD

This next day we hung out at the campground for most of the day and just headed to Epcot in the evening.

The kids asked to go pin trading at the stores, so we went to the Meadow Trading Post and while we were there we saw they had the pumpkins carved by the cast members on display.

2011-10-27Epcot001.jpg

After some thought, my kids were ready to cast their votes for their favorite. For once, they both agreed on something and both voted for the Front Desk's Perry the Platypus. A couple days later the kids were happy to hear that Perry got the most votes.

2011-10-27Epcot005.jpg

While at the store, my daughter fell in love with these cute Chip & Dale earrings. They had to come home with us!

2011-10-27Epcot008.jpg

We spent some more time cruising around in the golf cart and had to sneak a peek at good ol River Country.

2011-10-27Epcot009.jpg

2011-10-27Epcot014.jpg

Then we decided to head over to visit the horses so we headed over to the Tri-Circle-D Ranch. This is also when I had my first encounter with some Fiends. I saw Rita's Snarky shirt and went over to say HI. Come to find out the whole group there were Fort Fiends. I'm glad I spotted that shirt and could say HI!

2011-10-27Epcot021.jpg

We looked at the horses in their stalls and listened to the Calliope.

2011-10-27Epcot023.jpg

Short stuff then asked to go on a pony ride. I think it is $5 and he always loves it.

2011-10-27Epcot017.jpg

Here is a lovely shot...minus the fact that the pony, Nemo, is taking a potty break. lol My kids love the pony rides. It's fun for everyone to walk around and pet the pony. I think we'll send my daughter horseback riding next time. I think that is something she would really like.

2011-10-27Epcot031.jpg

We did head to Epcot later and got our Disney Visa free picture with Mickey and Minnie. Usually we do this a few times in a trip, but the lines were crazy so this is the only time we did it.

2011-10-27Epcot065.jpg

Sam was very excited to meet "Duffy" the Disney Bear. He was all dressed up for Halloween. Sam got a "Disney Bear" and the book about how he came to be at his first trip when he was 6 months old. He's not real wild about how they are calling him "Duffy" now or how the story about how he was first made has changed, but he still really likes him because he is like his teddy bear...but huge and so soft.

2011-10-27Epcot074.jpg

Val-

I am so glad that you decided to write a trip report!

I agree with S70 that it is always fun to see WDW, and especially the Fort, through someone else's eyes.

You have done a great job so far on your report.

It looks like you had a great time.

I am looking forward to reading the rest.

TCD

Thanks, TCD!

I have never seen the band playing in front of Country Bears. See, you taught me something new!

Yay! Glad I could show you something new!

Roaches at at MK?? Say it isn't so! ??? If a roach crawled up my leg, it would have been dangerous for the whole boat.

Yeah...I did I mention how HUGE it was! YUCK!!! Luckily we were the only people there. I was sliding all around on those boat seat trying to avoid the stupid things!

I love the calliope! You really take good pictures!

Thanks! I do take a million.