• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the Disney Parks blog...

First Look at Merchandise for Star Wars Weekends 2012 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

posted on February 9th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

bg-post-top.png

1sww123234SMALL.jpg

When I saw the artwork pictured above, I knew that February 10 would be the perfect day to give a first look at some merchandise we are creating for Star Wars Weekends 2012. I couldn’t get over the dramatically awesome pose of Donald Duck playing the role of Darth Maul from “Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace.” I discovered that Tyler Dumas and Casey Jones from Disney Design Group were the artists behind this main merchandise poster artwork. I recently spoke with Tyler about its creation one afternoon while in his office.

“Designing the main poster artwork is a collaborative process that starts with talking to LucasFilm,” explained Tyler. “With the release of ‘Star Wars: Episode I’ in 3D, we wanted Donald Duck to play one of the coolest characters from that film – Darth Maul. We combed over a variety poses for Donald before finding the striking image that was used.”

Tyler told me that there will be two posters this year – one like the image above and one will be a smaller lenticular poster which makes Donald Duck look like he is leaping off the page. Tyler said they incorporated a key learning from Star Wars Weekends 2011 into this year’s poster design.

“The character image will be printed on a white background,” continued Tyler. “Last year, we printed on white as a way to make the image stand out. We noticed that some fans were using the poster to collect autographs. We thought that was a great idea, so we kept the white background.”

2sww123234SMALL.jpg

The main poster artwork served as inspiration for several new items that will be introduced this year. My Rebel spies were able to obtain samples of three items from Lindsay Voigt, Product Developer for Star Wars Weekends merchandise. One of my favorite items is a sculpted mug designed by Disney artist Brian Blackmore and features Donald Duck. The mug reminded me of a sculpted Chewbacca mug I had growing up.

3sww123234SMALL.jpg

These three items are only a handful of things we developed. I can’t wait to share additional looks in the coming months (three words – “Look sir, Droids!”). Star Wars Weekends will return to Disney’s Hollywood Studios beginning on May 18 and will run through June 10.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/02/first-look-at-merchandise-for-star-wars-weekends-2012-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

• 1 month later...

From WDW Magic...

Ashley Eckstein and James Arnold Taylor return to host Star Wars Weekends 2012

Apr 02, 2012

The official Disney Parks Blog has confirmed that Ashley Eckstein and James Arnold Taylor, voices of Ahsoka Tano and Obi-Wan Kenobi in the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, will return as hosts for Star Wars Weekends 2012. The other visiting celebrities have not yet been confirmed. The event this years runs during May 18 - 20, May 25 - 27, June 1 - 3, June 8 - 10 2012.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Events/Star-Wars-Weekends/News/02Apr2012-Ashley-Eckstein-and-James-Arnold-Taylor-return-to-host-Star-Wars-Weekends-2012.htm

More from the Disney Parks blog...

Celebrity Hosts Announced for Star Wars Weekends 2012 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

posted on April 2nd, 2012 by Gary Buchanan, Social Media Managing Editor

As previously mentioned in this post, Star Wars Weekends – one of the most popular month-long events at Walt Disney World Resort – returns to the Disney’s Hollywood Studios galaxy in May and June this year.

Today, we’d like to announce two of the talented Star Wars stars that will serve in Celebrity Host roles this year. They are both Star Wars Weekends veterans, so we’re especially excited to welcome them back again.

cha923199SMALL.jpg

Ashley Eckstein and James Arnold Taylor – who provide the voices of Ahsoka Tano and Obi-Wan Kenobi, respectively, for the popular animated series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars – will join us for the duration of the 2012 event in their host roles.

James is the Official Celebrity Host of Star Wars Weekends 2012, and Ashley is Celebrity Host of “Behind the Force,” a show that gives fans a behind-the-scenes glimpse at Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

One of the most versatile voice actors today, James not only is famous for the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi, but many other popular characters from films, television, advertising and video games. He’s the current voice of everyone’s favorite resident of Bedrock, Fred Flintstone, and has a list of character voice credits including Green Arrow, Johnny Test and Ratchet (from the “Ratchet & Clank” video game series), just to name a few.

Ashley, who provides the voice of Ahsoka Tano, Anakin Skywalker’s eager Padawan learner, is no stranger to Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. She practically grew up (literally) in the middle of the magic. Her father was a longtime Disney Parks cast member and her first plunge in show business was as a parade dancer at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. It’s full circle for Ashley; little did she know that the street (Hollywood Blvd.) where she performed in daily parades would someday be the same street where she’d be center stage as one of the featured celebrities in Star Wars Weekends motorcades. In the time since Star Wars: The Clone Wars debuted, Ashley also has become a fashion designer and head of her own company, “Her Universe,” that specializes in merchandise and apparel specifically for female sci-fi fans. Look for some of her latest Star Wars-inspired designs this year during Star Wars Weekends.

We’re excited to once again welcome James and Ashley, who entertained Star Wars Weekends audiences last year in their Celebrity Hosts roles, back for another year of galactic fun. We hope you’ll join us!

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for future updates about the event, special activities and the rest of the Star Wars celebrities that will make appearances each weekend.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/celebrity-hosts-announced-for-star-wars-weekends-2012-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

More Visiting Celebrities, Details & Tips Announced for Star Wars Weekends 2012 at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on April 6th, 2012 by Gary Buchanan, Social Media Managing Editor

Following the post earlier in the week about the return of James Arnold Taylor (voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi – Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and Ashley Eckstein (voice of Ahsoka Tano – Star Wars: The Clone Wars) as Celebrity Hosts for Star Wars Weekends, we received a new transmission from an R2 unit that reveals more Star Wars celebrities scheduled to appear this year at Disney’s Hollywood Studios park. The annual event takes place each Friday, Saturday and Sunday from May 18-June 10, 2012.

With Donald Duck doing his best Darth Maul impression in the 2012 event logo, seen here, Star Wars Weekends 2012 will welcome several celebrities from Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace for the Force-filled fun. In fact, Donald will have the chance to meet Ray Park, the action star who portrayed Darth Maul, during an extended engagement. Ray (pictured below) is scheduled to appear in both Weekends I and II.

msw328509SMALL.jpg

Another 2012 highlight: keep a sharp eye during Weekend IV when bounty hunters — a favorite among many fans — take center stage in their very own weekend (doesn’t that seem appropriate, considering Star Wars bounty hunters generally work on their own anyway?). As an added surprise, Weekend IV will be a “Bonus Boba” weekend! Both actors who portrayed laconic enforcer Boba Fett in the saga — Jeremy Bulloch and Daniel Logan — will appear during the event’s closing weekend.

Each weekend will also feature a visiting celebrity voice actor from the popular animated TV series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Here’s the scheduled celebrity lineup for Star Wars Weekends 2012 (subject to change):

Weekend I (May 18 – 20)

• Ray Park – (Darth Maul – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)
  • Jerome Blake (Rune Haako/Mas Amedda – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)
  • Dee Bradley Baker (voice of Clone Captain Rex and Clone Commander Cody – Star Wars: The Clone Wars)

Weekend II (May 25- 27)

• Andy Secombe (Watto – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)
  • Ray Park (Darth Maul – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)
  • Tom Kane (voice of Yoda – Star Wars: The Clone Wars)

Weekend III (June 1 -3)

• Jake Lloyd (Anakin Skywalker – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)
  • Silas Carson (Nute Gunray/Ki-Adi-Mundi – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)
  • (Star Wars: The Clone Wars voice talent – currently TBD)

Weekend IV (June 8- 10)

• Michonne Bourriague (Aurra Sing – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)
  • Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett – Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi)
  • Daniel Logan (Boba Fett – Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones)
  • Nika Futterman (voice of Asajj Ventress – Star Wars: The Clone Wars)

While most daily events are still being scheduled, we have received a few additional news of note and tips for Star Wars Weekends 2012 (all activities & entertainment subject to change):

• “Hyperspace Hoopla”: This high-energy, one-of-a-kind show is a chance to see some of the famed Star Wars characters performing like never before. It will take place on a stage in front of the Sorcerer Mickey hat on Hollywood Blvd., and is scheduled to begin at 8 p.m. each event evening.
  • Autograph Opportunities: As always, there is no additional charge for the celebrity autograph sessions at Star Wars Weekends. The autograph lines will once again be handled via a FASTPASS-type system. The meet-and-greet session/autograph opportunities are extremely limited, so guests need to arrive early to receive a FASTPASS. Please refer to this link, which will take you to the official Star Wars Weekends event page on DisneyWorld.com. There, you’ll find more detailed information under “Celebrity Autographs.”
  • Star-Studded Event: Keep in mind, autograph opportunities are not the only place to see the celebrities. Star Wars stars take part in fun throughout the day in Star Wars-themed talk shows, behind-the-scenes presentations, the gala “Legends of the Force” parade and more.

That’s the latest for now. Keep checking back as we confirm more scheduled activities for Star Wars Weekends 2012. Do you have any special memories of past Star Wars Weekends or of any of the celebrities that will attend this year? If so, please share in the comments.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/more-visiting-celebrities-details-tips-announced-for-star-wars-weekends-2012-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

• 4 weeks later...

From MousePlanet...

This year's special merchandise location for Star Wars Weekends will be called Darth's Mall. Featured merchandise will include shirts, pins, lanyards, Vinylmations, beach towels, iPhone cases and more.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9958/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

More new merch! From Orlando Attractions Magazine...

‘Carbon-Freeze Me’ experience to debut at Star Wars Weekends 2012

May 7, 2012

photo1-550x412.jpg

Debuting at this years Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, guests will have the opportunity to relive the famous carbon freezing scene from The Empire Strikes Back with “Carbon-Freeze Me”. This new retail experience was created especially for Disney Parks.

Using imaging technology, this experience casts your likeness as a three-dimensional, eight-inch figurine inside the “Carbon Freezing Chamber”, which will be located adjacent to The American Idol Experience. Several cameras will capture your face and then the images are reconstructed in a computer for processing. After approximately four weeks, the completed 8-inch figurine representing Han Solo frozen in Carbon, but with your face, will be shipped to your house. Guests will also receive a light-up wristband.

Each carbonite figurine is $99.95, plus shipping and guests can order additional figurines using the same image scan for $74.95 each. Guests must be 3 and up and guests under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

The experience will start on Friday, May 18, the first day of Star Wars Weekends 2012. Reservations are required and can be made by calling 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324).

(The Donald Duck in Carbon figure shown above is not representative of the Carbon-Freeze Me product. It was a part of the Star Wars/Disney action figure set.)

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2012/05/07/carbon-freeze-me-experience-to-debut-at-star-wars-weekends-2012/#more-12642

From WDW Magic...

Catherine Taber completes the celebrity guest line-up for Star Wars Weekends

May 08, 2012

Catherine Taber, voice artist from 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars', will be taking up the final slot in the celebrity line-up for this year's Star Wars Weekends. She will be appearing June 1 to June 3 2012.

Here is the full line-up as it currently stands.

Weekend I (May 18 – 20)

Ray Park – (Darth Maul – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)

Jerome Blake (Rune Haako/Mas Amedda – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)

Dee Bradley Baker (voice of Clone Captain Rex and Clone Commander Cody – Star Wars: The Clone Wars)

Weekend II (May 25- 27)

Andy Secombe (Watto – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)

Ray Park (Darth Maul – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)

Tom Kane (voice of Yoda – Star Wars: The Clone Wars)

Weekend III (June 1 -3)

Jake Lloyd (Anakin Skywalker – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)

Silas Carson (Nute Gunray/Ki-Adi-Mundi – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)

Catherine Taber - Star Wars: The Clone Wars voice talent

Weekend IV (June 8- 10)

Michonne Bourriague (Aurra Sing – Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)

Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett – Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi)

Daniel Logan (Boba Fett – Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones)

Nika Futterman (voice of Asajj Ventress – Star Wars: The Clone Wars)

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Events/Star-Wars-Weekends/News/08May2012-Catherine-Taber-completes-the-celebrity-guest-line-up-for-Star-Wars-Weekends.htm

More from WDW Magic...

PHOTO - Darth Vader cupcake coming to Star Wars Weekends

May 08, 2012

Darth Vader and cupcakes go together like oil and water, but Star Wars fans are sure to get a kick out of this creation for the upcoming Star Wars Weekends. The "Darth Vader" cupcake will be sold at the Starring Rolls Bakery, ABC Commissary, Backlot Express, Studio Catering Company, and Pizza Planet.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Events/Star-Wars-Weekends/News/08May2012-PHOTO---Darth-Vader-cupcake-coming-to-Star-Wars-Weekends.htm

From WDW News Today. A whole batch of new Vinylmations have been released, but here are the Star Wars ones. Follow the link for the rest...

On May 18, the six highly anticipated figures of the Star Wars – Disney Characters as Star Wars Characters figures will be released at Darth’s Mall during Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and at D-Street in California. All six figures have astounding detail and come with some amazing accessories. These window boxed figures will be open edition and are sure to be a hit!

photo-4-537x600.jpg

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9330

More on the Freeze-me experience from the Disney Parks Blog...

Cast Yourself in Carbonite with the Carbon-Freeze Me Experience During Star Wars Weekends 2012 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

posted on May 8th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

cfm101299SMALL.jpg

As a child, one of the most memorable scenes that I vividly remember from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back is when Captain Han Solo is frozen in carbonite on Darth Vader’s orders. I think I remember it because after seeing the movie, my parents bought me Boba Fett’s ship that contained a miniature version of Han Solo in carbonite. Coming this year to Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, I will have the opportunity to relive that scene with the Carbon-Freeze Me experience. This new experience was created especially for Disney Parks, and is part of our “D-Tech Me” line that uses technology to take personalization to a whole new level (advance reservations are required. Please see below for details).

cfm220219SMALL.jpg

Using state-of-the-art imaging technology, this experience casts your likeness as a three-dimensional, eight-inch figurine. At the Carbon-Freezing Chamber (located adjacent to The American Idol Experience), several cameras will capture multiple angles of your face. The images are then reconstructed in a computer for processing, and in approximately four weeks, the completed figurine is shipped directly to your house. I had my image captured during early tests for this experience, and it was surreal to see a digital version of my head.

cfm330139SMALL.jpg

Each carbonite figurine is $99.95 (plus shipping). You can order additional figurines using the same image scan for $74.95 each. The replica figurine can be hung on a wall, just like the gangster Jabba the Hutt did in Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (I plan on doing the same thing when I receive mine). Guests also receive a light-up wristband.

The experience will officially open on May 18 with the launch of Star Wars Weekends.

Reservations are required and can be made starting Monday, May 7 by calling 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324).

May the Force be with you!

Please note: Separate Theme Park admission required for Disney’s Hollywood Studios. No discounts apply unless otherwise noted. Guests must be at least three (3) years of age to participate. A valid accepted credit card number is required at time of booking. No-shows or in the event a reservation is cancelled within 48 hours of scheduled experience will result in such credit card being charged a $25 cancellation fee. The experience, due to its personalized nature is non-refundable and not eligible for an exchange. Children must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age or older during the entire experience. Certain restrictions may apply. All prices, components and information are subject to change without notice.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/cast-yourself-in-carbonite-with-the-carbon-freeze-me-experience-during-star-wars-weekends-2012-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

I was looking at the list of celebrities, wow, you really have to be one of those "get a life" goof balls that William Shatner made fun of on SNL to know any of those very obscure celebrities.

Lou,

I totally agree. With us 2 being the biggest Star Wars fans here, I was dissapointed with the so-called "celebs" that will be at Star Wars weekends. The only one that I would want to remotely meet would be Jake lloyd, but I bet nobody will recognize him due to him being an adult now and not a 9yo boy in the movie. As Yoda would say, " So ashamed of the weekends of Star Wars I am"

New Behind-the-Scenes Video Looks at Star Wars Weekends 2012 Debut to Celebrate Launch of Event-Themed Mobile Website

posted on May 10th, 2012 by Gary Buchanan, Social Media Managing Editor

Did you ever wonder what it takes to plan an event like Star Wars Weekends? After all, working with Wookiees, Rodians and Sith (oh my!) and scheduling their Star Wars Weekends appearances can be well…sometimes a bit “challenging.” But it’s a labor of love, as it all comes together this year for four weekends of galactic fun.

The 2012 edition of Star Wars Weekends takes place at Disney’s Hollywood Studios every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from May 18-June 10. (And yes, we know that we add an extra day to the official definition of “weekend,” but when Darth Vader requests a three-day weekend, we don’t argue.)

Today, we are pleased to debut two new videos that will take you behind the scenes a bit to show some of the fun we have putting the event together. Conceptualized by the talented team at Disney’s Yellow Shoes Creative Group, in partnership with Lucasfilm, Ltd., these spots will be featured on a new mobile website that just launched for Star Wars Weekends.

On your mobile device, set your course for disneytheforce.com. This mobile site will serve as a great, “on-the-go” resource for the event and feature famous Star Wars characters, visiting celebrities, event descriptions and even some special downloadable content unique to the site. And of course, these new videos will be featured so you can share them with your friends no matter where you are. The official Star Tours – The Adventures Continue Facebook page (facebook.com/StarTours) also will join the fun with news and notes about the upcoming event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lOcb3mKTcU

In addition, today we are debuting two of the new promotional images that have become famous through the years for their one-of-a-kind “mashups” of famous characters and icons from both Star Wars and Walt Disney World Resort. Yellow Shoes seems to keep topping themselves with concepts and we are very excited to debut these for you here.

sww118957SMALL.jpg

(We have a total of four videos and four images, so keep watching the Disney Parks Blog for the final two videos and final pair of photos. We’ll post those in the coming days.)

sww228957SMALL.jpg

Also, keep checking with our friends at StarWars.com to learn more about the Star Wars film saga, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the rich background of the galactic characters that will be featured at Star Wars Weekends.

We hope you enjoy viewing these new videos and photos as much as the team enjoyed creating them.

For more updates on Star Wars Weekends 2012, see the posts below:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/new-behind-the-scenes-video-looks-at-star-wars-weekends-2012-debut-to-celebrate-launch-of-event-themed-mobile-website/

From WDW Magic...

Star Wars Weekends celebrity change - Andy Secombe in, Jerome Blake out

May 17, 2012

Disney announced this afternoon that due to scheduling conflicts, Jerome Blake will not appear at Star Wars Weekends May 18-20, and will be replaced by Andy Secombe.

Andrew played the voice of Watto in Episode 1 and Episode II.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Events/Star-Wars-Weekends/News/17May2012-Star-Wars-Weekends-celebrity-change---Andy-Secombe-in,--Jerome-Blake-out.htm

Excerpted from WDW News Today...

sww-L.jpg

Star wars Weekends preparation underway at Studios

ssw-L.jpg

sww3-L.jpg

sww2-L.jpg

star-L.jpg

st-L.jpg

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

star2-L.jpg

You can still become an unwanted action figure… ZING!

droidfact-L.jpg

The Droid Factory recently opened at Tatooine Traders. You can make your own R2 unit toy!

trans-L.jpg

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9436