Our Pre-Christmas Weekend At The Fort

And just like that…we’re home again. Had a great weekend at the Fort. I took a half a day off Friday and journeyed in to the Fort with the wife and kids and my buddy Ben and his son, arrived about 3:30pm an hour later than expected. Change of plan on the dog-sitter.

We were in site 1712, on the absolute opposite side of the loop from the comfort station, but…sometimes you get ‘em, no one complained. Once we got the camper popped-up, me and the missus walked the loop to the comfort station, passing 4 or 5 people, and not a single one failed to smile, nod, or say hello…one of our absolute favorite aspects of camping culture. We finished setting up the site, and put-up some lights; the tacky lights on the camper, rope light on the cabana over the table, and our holiday lights by the road…a spiral tree, my new homemade Mickey head, and the neon Nativity.

Once we were all set, we picked up the rental carts, whipped up some burgers, brats, and dogs, and commenced to looping to see the lights (really our whole reason for the trip!). How amazing! Some of the walk-through sites were mind-blowing. We did the best we could with a pop-up and a blazer, but if we had the time and the vehicles, it would be awesome to host a walk-through site.

We went out to the Trail’s End porch where the kids played horseshoes and checkers, they sipped some hot chocolate, and I sat in a rocking chair for about an hour sampling some local beer, Orange Blossom Pilsner. After MK fireworks, I took the two little ones out to the dock to watch the lighted boat pageant. I was thrilled when they both agreed that the best part was the American flag portion. More looping, and back to the site.

Earlier, whilst cooking dinner, we were damn near blinded by a flood light that some tent campers had facing our direction from across the street, it made the site look like that scene from Close Encounters. Now, it was late and we needed to put the kids in to bed, and screening on a pop-up is no match for surgical lighting. I’m typically not confrontational, and hoped that a request to point the light more at the ground would not create an issue. I was grateful, that they turned it off with a “sorry, no problem” before I even finished the sentence. I was even more appreciative when the next morning, they had re-mounted it on the other side of the site to fire the other way. Campers really are the salt of the earth.

Saturday morning, my turn to cook breakfast. I think cooking camping breakfast is one of my favorite camping activities. Have to have the correct soundtrack as well, this time it was all bluegrass Christmas, funny, coming from “Metal Dad”, but the mandolins and banjos fit the character of the Fort. After breakfast, Ben took all the kids fishing, and Metal Wife and I stayed behind, she reading her book, and me staring at the treetops for like an hour and a half, it was most tranquil. Got the text, we’re fishing behind the 300 loop by the bridge…off we go.

Flying through the 300 loop, through the opening between sites, over the bridge, “Honey, the sign says no carts beyond this point.” “It’s OK, we always come back here!”, unbeknownst to me, I was being chased by a CM on a segue….Busted! So after hanging my head in shame while the rest of the class pointed and laughed, we headed over to the canal by the bike barn, my 5yo daughter pulled in a brim in no time, then she was done, my 9yo daughter sent a hook through her fingertip, and she was done. Left my son with Ben, and headed to the buses to take the girls to Downtown for some Curry & Fries at Cooke’s and a chocolate-peanut butter sundae at Ghirardelli.

Back to the site for some Mojo Steaks, then the whole group went off to Port Orleans Riverside to see Piano Bob do his thing….always a great show, and can’t beat the price. Free is good. I highly recommend the Habanaro Lime Margarita! After the kids heads started nodding and hitting the table, we headed back to camp for a nice fire. We use a converted washtub for a firepit. After a fresh pour of our typical fireside nightcap, JD Tennessee Honey (Honey Jack), the ranger shows up, Busted twice in one day…a first! We didn’t have the appropriate cover for the pit, so we had to hose down one of the most delicious fires I’ve ever conjured. Drag….

Up on Sunday, Ben made breakfast, girls got lost going to the comfort station, packed up a few things (Ben is staying on until Tuesday with my camper), and headed out. The load out was so trouble-free, we spent 2 hours in Ikea on the way home. We noticed some purple flamingos at 1701, but they weren’t around the site whenever we happened by. I did make a sign, and taped it underneath the light by the roadside. Some random little girl rode by on a bike and took a picture of our pine-cone mickey and my fiend sign. I’ll try to get some photos up. The weather was perfect, the relaxation reached high levels, and we spent very little money. All in all, a success! See you on the loops!

Hey, MetalHead or MetalDad, whatever, you're supposed to let us know that you're going to be at the Fort before you go. It does us no good to find out afterwards. How are we supposed to harass you if you don't? Oh, you're not into being harassed by Fiends, too bad. If you're on here, it's included in the membership. Read the fine print.

As you're in the Tampa area, I'm sending the official FF.Net enforcer in that area, "Lorna, the hammer, Duck", to slap you around.

I guess I'm glad you had a good trip.

Awesome report here MD! (You see, you write a trip report and you officially get your name shortened to an acronym.)

Saturday morning, my turn to cook breakfast. I think cooking camping breakfast is one of my favorite camping activities. Have to have the correct soundtrack as well, this time it was all bluegrass Christmas, funny, coming from “Metal Dad”, but the mandolins and banjos fit the character of the Fort.

I love bluegrass....what Christmas album do you have?

Flying through the 300 loop, through the opening between sites, over the bridge, “Honey, the sign says no carts beyond this point.” “It’s OK, we always come back here!”, unbeknownst to me, I was being chased by a CM on a segue….Busted!

The bluegrass was confusing for a guy named MetalDad...but breaking the law seems perfect. Nice job, MD!

Hey MD!

You joined and posted a trip report before I could even say Welcome!

So, Welcome!

And thanks for the trip report!

I like all trip reports- long or short, photos or none.

I haven't seen a ranger on a segway at the Fort since summer.

Did you happen to get the guy's name?

That is interesting to hear that they cracked down on your firepit. I saw several in use without covers over Thanksgiving week.

So, you're from the Tampa Bay area?

I'm from Dunedin.

What about you?

TCD

Here's some pics, hope I'm doing this right!

FW-site.jpg

Our site, 1712.

Our visit to Piano Bob's show at the Port Orleans Riverside

FW-pianobob.jpg

Our lights. Not much, but meaningful, and well-meaning, whatever that means...

FW-Lights.jpg

Our DIY FF.net sign

FW-FFsign.jpg

Ben and William - The Bassmasters

FW-Benandwilliamfishing.jpg

My Annie rocks the Barbie fishing pole like no other!

FW-anniefishing.jpg

Great job on the photos.

Here's what I saw and liked:

-anyone who camps in a pop up is OK in my book.

- you sure have a lot of coolers and a fridge. Well done!

-that is a nice bass your buddy and son caught.

-your buddy has on the right kind of sweatshirt.

-I see a golf cart parked where it isn't supposed to be- extra credit for that.

-love the photo of your daughter with her fish.

-I just recently discovered Bob- it looks like there was a good crowd there when you visited.

-Nice job on your DIY sign, but nobody that lives in the Tampa Bay area ever says that they are from "Tampa Bay." What is up with that?

Good job all the way around!

TCD

Lou, Sorry, I didn’t know my site number until arrival, and after futzing around with the website on my phone for like 20 minutes, I couldn’t get to where I needed to be, ff.net looked way different on my phone. Is there a running thread for “Hey, I’m in site #...”. I did yell over to the bus stop…”Lou, I’m here” but alas, no joy…We’ll be back soon. Ben’s still there, go to 1712 and harass him, he’s there until Tuesday morning.

Dave, my bluegrass Christmas collection was Dave Grisman’s Acoustic Cheer, and an assortment of Skaggs, New South, Union Station, Tim O’Brien, Bela Fleck a bit of a mish-mash…

TCD, I’m not sure who the segue operator was, but he had a British accent. The ranger issued us a flyer of acceptable and unacceptable fire pits, and blamed a Reedy Creek crackdown, which I can see, so now I have to shop for a new fire pit…I could think of worse things. As for the pics, yes a cooler or two. That’s actually two fridges stacked, the small one is usually inside, but counter space was at a premium.7 people in that little camper! I usually put ‘Tampa Bay’ as my location because nationally, that’s what people associate this area with; Rays, Bucs, Lightning... I too am from Dunedin (Belcher/580), believe it or not!

We go to see Bob often. I first went two days after 9/11, went to the bar with friends from NY that were stuck at POR, and here comes Bob to cheer everyone up during a tremendous time of crisis. Thrilled that he’s still there and doing his show. He added some Christmas material this time. Was a lot of fun.

One nice thing that I forgot to mention. Had to send Ben to Meadow for some syrup, we had a mishap (the kids got into a maple syrup eating contest behind the camper). Whilst cooking, my wife advised me that I would be upset that my son got sand in my bunk, that I had to see it. I immediately blew smoke from my ears (my biggest pet peeve), she wouldn’t let me yell at him, said I have to see it. So I slam down the spatula and go to survey the damage, only to find a brand new, never been camped-in Fort Wilderness t-shirt draped over my pillow. And… no sand!

Belcher and 580?

Dude- I can walk there from my house.

OK- maybe it's a couple of miles, but I could walk there.

Congratulations on the new t-shirt- and that is awesome how your wife tricked you into going in to the camper to find it.

That ranger with the British accent was all over the Fort at Halloween, but I did not see him Thanksgiving week (assuming that there is only one ranger with a British accent). He was younger and more energetic than some of the older farts gentlemen they have working in that position, which is not a good thing.

Oh- don't let Lou know you're a Rays fan.

Lou hates the Rays.

TCD

Where in Dunedin are you?

Indeed, that british guy was pissed, I was in one of Kenny's carts, the governor is set higher than the FW rental carts, I passed him by 500 loop, didn't know he was chasing me, he was probably licking his chops when he saw us go off piste. Funny, the photo of Ben above is taken from the exact spot he nabbed me.

Next trip is set-up for late March, may have to squeeze in one before then...that messes up my average. Maybe around Super Bowl. I happen to know my team won't be in it! May also set one up at Fort De Soto in the next few weeks. Just ain't right unless there's a trip on the calendar!

Is there a running thread for “Hey, I’m in site #...”. I did yell over to the dock…”Lou, I’m here” but alas, no joy.

Great idea. Maybe Chris can come up with something.

It would make my life a little easier. After all, it's all about me.

Oh- don't let Lou know you're a Rays fan.

Lou hates the Rays.

Yes I do. No matter how bad the Rays are, they seem to have the Red Sox's number.

Super Bowl. I happen to know my team won't be in it!

What team is that?

I need to start a trash talk Super Bowl thread. I know you'll find this hard to believe but I'm pretty good at it. Just ask Andrew.

Anyway, I love that photo of your little girl holding the pink fishing pole with the tiny fish on the hook.

Treasure those times because before you know it, they're 42 years old.

Wow, Red Sox/Rays, son-of-gun gonna have big fun next season Lou! I'm a Bucs fan, a semi-pro team to be sure. We've got issues here!

I think a check-in thread would work.

She kicks ass on that Barbie pole. She received a certificate from a CM in August, she caught a catfish 3/4 the size of her own body. My son can do some damage with his Spider Man pole too!

FW-Johnfishing.jpg