From the Disney Food Blog...

Review: Yachtsman Steakhouse

Dec 18th, 2011 by AJ.

Awesomeness! It’s been a long time since we’ve reviewed Yachtsman Steakhouse at Disney World’s Yacht Club Resort, which is a real shame considering how much I like this restaurant! (Meat? Good! Butter? Good! Habanero-Infused Flourless Chocolate Cake? Good!)

But on this visit, I broke away from my standards and tried some new items! Can’t wait to share them with you! Let’s get started…

Atmosphere

Yachtsman Steakhouse has very clean, traditional lines when it comes to decor.

Yachtsman-Dining-Area-500x375.jpg

One of the Yachtsman Steakhouse Dining Areas

Guests enter into a foyer where they’ll encounter a large picture window looking into the steak trimming room, then they’ll pass by the open kitchen and into the dining room, which is furnished in light woods and tasteful artwork from top to bottom. Craftsman style chandeliers hang over the white-clothed tables.

Entrance-Foyer-378x525.jpg

Restaurant Entrance

Two-Story-Dining-Room-500x375.jpg

Chandelier in the Two-Story Dining Room

My favorite room in the dining area is a two-story, circular room with two-top tables that look out onto the Yacht and Beach Club Resort’s own water playland — Stormalong Bay.

Circular-Dining-Room-500x375.jpg

My favorite Dining Room

Basically, the setting here is relatively bland, but upscale. Consider it a blank canvas on which to create your carnivorous fantasy dinner icon_wink.gif

Eats

While the menu here changes seasonally, you can always find some great steaks and classic side dishes to try. I love the appetizer menu, which tends to feature some really interesting options from time to time!

Appetizer-Menu-500x216.jpg

Appetizer Menu - click image for larger version

Dinner-Entree-Menu-500x313.jpg

Dinner Entree Menu - click image for larger version

We began the evening with Yachtsman’s complimentary bread basket, which includes yummy bread rolls as well as this onion pull-apart bread, which is extremely delicious. Breads come with roasted garlic for spreading as well as salted butter.

Yachtsman-onion-pull-apart-bread-500x333.jpg

Yachtsman Onion Pull-Apart Bread

Yachtsman still offers its cheese plate, but our table ordered this new charcuterie board this time! You get cheese on this one, too, but also smoked duck sausage, venison terrine, beef tartare, and other accoutrements! This is a varied and interesting board, and if you’re a fan of game or interesting meats, it’s a must-try.

Charcuterie-Board-with-smoked-duck-sausage-venison-terrine-beef-tartare-artisanal-cheese-accoutrements-500x345.jpg

Charcuterie Board with Smoked Duck Sausage - Venison Terrine - Beef Tartare - Artisanal Cheese - Accoutrements

The escargot received rave reviews (the person who ordered this is a big escargot fan, so I’ll take her word for it)!

escargot-423x525.jpg

Escargot

And I ordered the root vegetable side dish (which is no longer on the menu) as my appetizer. It was quite good, though I could have done without so many turnips/parsnips (not sure which one it was icon_smile.gif ).

Root-Vegetables-side-dish-350x414.jpg

Root Vegetables Side Dish

For our entrees, we ordered some extremely different items on the menu! Personally, I couldn’t get past the term “flagship cheddar fondue” and thus had to order the Braised Beef Ravioli, which came with the fondue as a sauce.

The ravioli was delicious — a very fun dish when you’re craving both meat and pasta or aren’t in the mood for a steak. The cheddar fondue had a strong, hearty cheese flavor, but it wasn’t overpowering for the ravioli. They complemented each other nicely.

Braised-Beef-Ravioli-crispy-wild-mushrooms-summer-radishes-flagship-cheddar-fondue-350x525.jpg

Braised Beef Ravioli -- Crispy Wild Mushrooms -- Summer Radishes -- Flagship Cheddar Fondue

Would I order this again? Yes. But Yachtsman really is all about the steaks, so if you’re a steak fan (like I am), it’s hard to branch out!

Ravioli-Cross-Section-350x358.jpg

Ravioli Cross-Section

A tablemate ordered the rib eye (which is what I usually get), which came with sweet potato beignets and red wine butter! This steak is rarely a disappointment — it’s tender, flavorful (thanks to that rib eye marbling), and has delicious (and not overpowering) seasoning. My only complaint is that I can’t ever finish it! Also, I usually order it with garlic butter instead of the red wine butter.

Rib-Eye-with-Sweet-Potato-Beignets-500x358.jpg

Rib Eye with Sweet Potato Beignets

I thought the addition of sweet potato beignets was so interesting, and then I started to see savory beignets on quite a few menus! I guess it’s all the rage…

Beignets-Cross-Section-500x326.jpg

Beignets Cross-Section

The third entree at our table was a very interesting one — Deconstructed Beef Wellington. The components of Beef Wellington are a pate and duxelles with filet inside a puff pastry, usually served with veggies. On this board, everything was separate, with the pate spread on the board in the center, the filet to one side, and the vegetables (with mushrooms/duxelles) also separated.

While this dish didn’t get low marks for taste (my table mate thoroughly enjoyed the meal), I wasn’t very impressed with the presentation. I don’t like the look of the pate spread in the middle of the board. I also am not a fan of “foams” on my drinks and dishes, so seeing the foam on top of the filet just looked a bit like soap bubbles to me…

The concept of this dish was a good and interesting one, but the presentation just made it less desirable for me.

Deconstructed-Beef-Wellington-8-oz-filet-trio-of-wild-mushroom-duxelles-puff-pastry-parsnips-potatoes-carrots-red-wine-sauce-500x371.jpg

Deconstructed Beef Wellington - 8 oz Filet - Trio of Wild Mushroom Duxelles - Puff Pastry - Parsnips - Potatoes - Carrots - Red Wine Sauce

Of course, we couldn’t stop at just entrees! Since this is a steakhouse, there are plenty of high-quality side dishes to order as well. Of course, your entree will usually come with a side dish already included on the menu (e.g. the sweet potato beignets), but how can you resist truffle mac and cheese and creamed spinach? Other options: sauteed mushroom caps, creamed corn, and caramelized onion along with some seasonal offerings.

The truffle mac and cheese is one of my favorite versions of this dish on Disney World property. The Reypenaer has a strong, rich taste, and the truffle oil is very noticeable (note — if you don’t like truffle flavor, you might want to skip this). I also love the Orecchiette pasta, which act like little scoops to hold all of that cheesy goodness!

Mac-and-Cheese-Side-Dish-423x525.jpg

Mac and Cheese Side Dish

The creamed spinach is very rich here, and I’m not sure it still qualifies as a vegetable with all of that cream and butter! (That’s a good thing when you’re at a steakhouse…)

Creamed-Spinach-500x336.jpg

Creamed Spinach

During our meal, the acting chef in the kitchen kindly brought over a dish he’d been working on to be a new side dish — Brussels sprouts! Now, I know what you’re thinking — you don’t like Brussels Sprouts, do you. Well these are different! Complemented with bacon and a tangy, buttery carrot sauce, these were delicious!

New-Brussels-Sprouts-dish-with-bacon-and-carrot-sauce-471x525.jpg

New Brussels Sprouts Dish with Bacon and Carrot Sauce

Now, on to dessert! The desserts here at Yachtsman change pretty consistently, and they’ve already changed since I was there in October. However, two of the items we ordered are still available: the Habanero-infused flourless chocolate cake and the signature banana napoleon.

Dessert-Menu.jpg

Dessert Menu

When I saw the words “habanero” and “flourless chocolate cake” together, I knew I was in the right place. After trying the flourless chocolate cake at Flying Fish a couple of years ago, I promised myself that I would order flourless chocolate cake more often — and this was NOT a disappointment!

The cake was bitter-sweet upon tasting, followed by a significant kick of habanero flavor after swallowing! Those flavors coupled with the smooth, rich dark chocolate texture made for a great dessert!

To lighten things up and offer some complementary flavors, the dish was served with lime sorbet and mango compote. I enjoyed the lime sorbet (even when eaten with the cake), but wasn’t too much a fan of the mango compote.

If anyone wants to take me back to Yachtsman, I’ll gladly order this dessert again!

Habanero-infused-Flourless-Chocolate-Cake-mango-compote-and-lime-sorbet-372x525.jpg

Habanero-infused Flourless Chocolate Cake -- Mango Compote and Lime Sorbet

The table also ordered the Stone Fruit and Cream dessert, which was a seasonal summer dessert. This included nectarines, Bavarian Cream, and Peach-Champagne Espuma (a.k.a. foam) on top!

Signature-Banana-Napoleon-custard-white-chocolate-and-banana-mousse-crispy-phyllo-350x441.jpg

Stone Fruit and Cream

Also on the menu that evening was a Lemon and Blueberry dessert, which was fantabulous, called Lemon Pudding Cake. It also was a summer seasonal dessert, but it included fruit leather (awesome), candied lemon, and a “blueberry shake” that everyone loved.

Lemon-and-Blueberry-Dessert-500x337.jpg

Lemon and Blueberry Dessert

Overall

This trip — like most Yachtsman Steakhouse visits — was delicious. This is a restaurant that is quite reliable in terms of food quality and variety. Service can sometimes be slow here, but that’s more a function of the servers not wanting to rush you rather than not being attentive. Most signature dining locations want guests to feel as though they’re welcome to stay as long as they want, so if you’re in a hurry be sure to mention that to your server.

The menu here continues to introduce new and interesting options, though all still fit in the relatively heavy steakhouse category. I have never been disappointed with an entree at Yachtsman steakhouse, and I consider it a great alternative to busy restaurants like Le Cellier Steakhouse in Epcot. However, the Yachtsman chef did just transfer over to Le Cellier, and we’re already starting to see some Yachtsman-esque dishes popping up on the menu over there.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/12/18/review-yachtsman-steakhouse/

I had the Charcuterie Board too Ed - loved it!!

It was a close runner up in the app department to the steak tartar at Le Cellier, which I could have eaten a bucket of.

We also had the truffle mac-n-cheese twice @ Yachtsman. That stuff should be illegal!

And the surprise hit - the brussel sprouts! Who'da thunk!?

Carol - totally agree on the price. We actually didn't do too badly there, relatively speaking for WDW anyway. First meal it was just Brian and I and we had apps, split the porterhouse (PLENTY for 2) and had 2 sides. With a drink a piece and the TiW discount we got out for $100 and we were STUFFED! We actually could have done with just one app and one side.

Gotta say that even with the cost this is one we'd do again. That's why we didn't blink about going the 2nd time with Lou and Mrs. Lou. :)

I always have wanted to try Le Cellier, but now I might try this place instead.

It's only a 5-10 minute walk out the International Gateway, right?

Yup! This was the first time we'd tried Yachtsman. For some reason I rarely think to go OUT for a steak. I think it's like Carole says - I can cook up a really good one at home for a fraction of the price.

But this trip we tried both Yachtsman (twice!) and Le Cellier and I gotta say I was quite impressed with both. I was especially on the fence about Le Cellier because the reviews the past couple of years have been so mixed, but we had an excellent meal there too.

I actually broke the rules at Le Cellier. I got the steak tartar app (which was to. die. for.) but the vegetarian entree - potato/leek quiche. It sounded too good not to try and oh boy was it!

Reminds me - I gotta get my reviews of both posted. ::)