I agree with Lou, I have six chihuahua's 2 of them are very afraid of any type of noise. The fireworks have never been a problem for them at any site we have been on. We have stayed on most of the loops at the Fort. Go and enjoy the Fort, you are going to have a blast!! (pun intended)

I'm going to have to disagree with my Fiends on this one. Staying in 300 our dogs (2 of them anyway) have always noticed and reacted to the fireworks noise. Much more so in the hybrid (naturally) but they notice in the new TT too.

If I had a super-sensitive dog (one that was going to likely have a major meltdown each night), I'd head for the far corners of the Fort if I could.

As for distance...

Not sure I'd want to walk to 1700 from the Settlement/Marina. You can see the map on THIS PAGE

As the crow flies it's a mile from the Outpost to the Settlement, so if I had to guess, I'd say it's probably a 1/2 mile-ish from 1700.

Personally, I think if noise is a problem, the fireworks will not be much of a problem when compared to afternoon thunderstorms. At least one knows what time the fireworks happen and how long they will last, storms crop up out of nowhere and are MUCH louder.

My Lola does not like noise either and I can tell you the thunderstorms were way worse than the fireworks. I noticed very little difference in the noise level of the fireworks between the 1700 & 500 loops.

I edited my previous post due to atrocious grammar and autocorrect! Y'all don't sit silent and allow me to get away with that, it makes my bones hurt when I go back and read through and see such glaring errors.

That's true Rita.

Some of the thunder even scares me.

Me too, Lou. That's a good time to gather your dog up and take a nap!

Thankfully we've lucked out when it comes to Florida T-storms. I don't think we've had one yet while we've been there.

Of course I probably just jinxed it.

Monique, I think you are normally there in the Fall and we do not have near as many thunderstorms that time of year! Good Planning!

Just another perk of Oct/Nov trips! That makes the list...

Great weather (not too hot, not much rain)

Relatively low crowds

Holiday decorations (Halloween/fall and/or Christmas)

No thunderstorms

Lots of Fiends around Halloween and Thanksgiving!

YEP - great time to be there!

Just another perk of Oct/Nov trips! That makes the list...

Great weather (not too hot, not much rain)

Relatively low crowds

Holiday decorations (Halloween/fall and/or Christmas)

No thunderstorms

Lots of Fiends around Halloween and Thanksgiving!

YEP - great time to be there!

I couldn't agree more

I have to agree with Monique on this one. We usually stay in the 800 loop and our dog freaks out every night when the MK fireworks go off. If we aren't going to be in the RV at night, we leave the TV on to drown out some of the noise Of course he does the same thing with the thunderstorms. I don't know what loop would be best, but I would pick one up toward the front entrance to he Fort.

Really appreciate all the responses. Based on the feedback we have received here, we will ask for a premium loop- hopefully loop 500) with a request for a quiet location. We haven't made our reservations yet. We have decided on 7 nights and will probably book for the end of April. Any other thoughts or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Echo

Distance is also an important factor for us to consider. Since the fireworks noise is thought to be less, it seems like it would be much further away. How far a walk is it from the 1700 loop to the marina, settlement area and places to get food and the dog park area? We have looked at the google earth map of the park, but it is still hard for us to figure the distance between areas. Is there info that lets you know the actual distance between areas at the Fort?

I wanted to respond to your question about distances.

If you have looked at Google Earth, you may have missed one of the features that I find very helpful. There is a great measuring tool on there that allows you to plot any course and measure the distance.

For example, here are the distances from the fireworks launch area first to the 500 loop and then to the 1900 loop:

fireworksdistance1.jpg

fireworksdistance2.jpg

It only stands to reason that the extra distance would result in less noise, but I'm not sure if it will be a big enough decrease to make a difference to your pet.

With regard to walking distances, if you were assigned a site in the back of the 1900 loop, it would be almost a 3/4 mile walk from there to the dog park:

1900toDP-1.jpg

That, of course, is a worst case scenario.

But, if you reserve a full hook up site, you may end up in the 1900 loop. You can request the 1600 or 1700 loop, but there are no guarantees.

As you ponder your decision, I would like to point out that you now have several first hand reports from Fiends who have dogs sensitive to fireworks noise. Everyone has reported that this is an issue that you can deal with, no matter what loop you are on. So, if you are concerned about being too far away from things, you probably ought to go with a premium site, and plan on keeping the dog inside during the fireworks.

Don't worry, it will all work out fine!

TCD