DTD Marketplace bus depot shuting down

The DTD MP bus depot is shutting down for a couple of weeks. The announcement says that it's closing for refurbishment, but in the next sentence it says that some routes will change to accommodate the test. What test is that?

There has been a rumor floating around for a while that they want to do away with the MP bus depot permanently. I'm for that. That bus depot is one PITA for drivers and guests. A reason that it seems to take forever to get to DTD by bus is the route buses have to take in order to get to the MP. The route will be shorter if buses can go directly to PI and only PI.

If it is being shut down for refurb, will they add an additional bus stop for the Art of Animation resort. I don't know where they can add another bus stop there, but who knows.

How do you remember stuff like that Carol?

We did use the West Side bus depot last time the MP shut down. It's used by the Non-Disney buses or by Disney buses if they bypass PI because they're not paying attention. Not that it ever happened to me. Ok, maybe one time.

Of the three, it's actually the easiest bus depot to get in and out of.

How do you remember stuff like that Carol?

We did use the West Side bus depot last time the MP shut down. It's used by the Non-Disney buses or by Disney buses if they bypass PI because they're not paying attention. Not that it ever happened to me. Ok, maybe one time.

Of the three, it's actually the easiest bus depot to get in and out of.

Don't forget, before the PI clubs shuttered their doors, we were Adventurer's Club and Comedy Warehouse Groupies. Just about every night of our trips was spent closing that place down.

But specifically, I remember on one of the closings (April 2005, I believe), we drove down for a quick weekend and were staying off property, and parked in Downtown Disney and were going to walk to Saratoga Springs to have lunch, and then catch a bus to the parks. As we walked that direction, a CM was trying very hard to tell us we couldn't go that way because the bus stop was closed. We told them we were going to walk to Saratoga Springs, and he still tried to direct us to the other bus stop. We showed him the sidewalk, and he finally let us proceed.

The second closing I remember specifically was September 2008. It was REALLY hot that day, and I remember having to walk to the WestSide bus stops and the lack of shade out there. (It may have been the PI bus stop that was closed.)

How far of a walk is it from either the West Side or PI bus stops to the MP? Is that feasible?

Definitely feasible. We often park near PI and walk to MP because the MP parking lot is small and just about always full it seems.

It's all relative of course, but I'd say to the far end of MP from PI it can't be more than a 5-10 minute walk at a leisurely pace.

I've always hated the bus ride to DTD from the resorts. Takes forever, and that winding twisting route into and out of the MP depot seems like a pain in the neck.

Tell me about it.

DTD is my least favorite hub. All the lights on BVD, the winding twisting routes, luckily I don't have to do it very often and I don't volunteer either.

How far of a walk is it from either the West Side or PI bus stops to the MP? Is that feasible?

I was thinking about this question, Dave, so I took a look on Google Earth.

I have walked from the West Side to the Market Place and back several times. It is kind of a winding walk, so I wondered how far it actually was, too. It isn't a hard walk, but it did seem to take some time.

I went ahead and plotted the distance, and it looks like it's a half-mile from the West Side bus stops to the edge of the marketplace. When you add in the walking around that you might do once getting to the maretplace plus the walk back, that is a bit much.

The one caveat I want to add about this map is that I began the walk at what I think are the West Side bus stops. I know that there are canopies there, but I do not know fact that this is where the buses coming from the resorts stop:

DTD.jpg

I would think that the owners of the businesses in the marketplace would not be in favor of closing the bus stops there.

TCD

I have walked from the West Side to the Market Place and back several times. It is kind of a winding walk, so I wondered how far it actually was, too. It isn't a hard walk, but it did seem to take some time.

I went ahead and plotted the distance, and it looks like it's a half-mile from the West Side bus stops to the edge of the marketplace. When you add in the walking around that you might do once getting to the maretplace plus the walk back, that is a bit much.

I seriously doubt that they would use the West Side bus stops as the main and only bus stops. They need to have a place for the non Disney buses to drop off and pick up.

The one caveat I want to add about this map is that I began the walk at what I think are the West Side bus stops. I know that there are canopies there, but I do not know fact that this is where the buses coming from the resorts stop:

You have it right.

I would think that the owners of the businesses in the marketplace would not be in favor of closing the bus stops there.

I believe that's the reason for the test. Will people, if they're dropped off at PI, skip the shops on the MP end.

I believe that's the reason for the test. Will people, if they're dropped off at PI, skip the shops on the MP end.

That's what I was wondering too. Should be an interesting test. I know that since we've been so often, and DH hates shopping so complains when forced to, I'd be less likely to walk down to the end unless I needed something. Sort of like how I rarely walk past the DQ end now...

• 1 year later...

What's the status on the Downtown Disney bus stops?   Are both currently in operation?  If so, do buses stop at both the Marketplace and the West Side?   I'm staying at Pop Century in November and want to walk across to the Hess station to get some bottled sodas.  It's closer to the West Side.  Thanks