Long Weekend to Disneyland and San Diego Zoo

My friend Joyce and I left work on Friday 1/13/12 and headed to DFW airport for a 5:15 flight to Orange County John Wayne Airport. We were both going to Disneyland for the first time. We knew from the earliest moments of planning that Disneyland and Walt Disney World are different, starting with hotels... Disneyland has three hotels on property. The cheapest hotel room was $275 per night (military discount) so we stayed at a "Partner" hotel, the Fairfield Inn, which is less than a 10 minute walk from the main gate plaza area. We also had to find private transportation from the the airport to the hotel as Disneyland doesn't have Magic Express for the on property or Partner hotels. We used the Gray Line Disneyland Express. It leaves John Wayne Airport and LAX every 30 minutes during the busiest part of the day and at the top of the hour early mornings and evenings. We made it to the John Wayne Airport 10 minutes till the top of the hour so we high-tailed it to the Ground Transportation area... we didn't want to wait a whole 'nother hour for the next bus. It's dark when we get to our hotel so we drop our bags in our room and head to Downtown Disney for supper. The main gates to Disneyland (north), California Adventure (south) and Downtown Disney (west) and the bus pick up area (east) are all on a central plaza area. It is quite convenient.

We get up early the next morning because our bodies are on Central Time and stop by McDonald's for breakfast.

Here are pictures of the area around the hotel:

Here is the hotel as seen from the street with McDonalds to the right.

DSCN1833.jpg

Turn around and we see the Monorail going by.

DSCN1836.jpg

Down the street about 100 yards is the Disneyland sign.

DSCN1613.jpg

Looking back toward the hotel. You can sort of see the McDonald's sign on the right.

DSCN1614.jpg

We then head to the parks. Disneyland opens at 8:00 AM today with Extra Magic hours beginning at 7:00 AM for people staying on property or who have extra magic hours as part of their tickets. We figured it doesn't hurt to ask if we have extra magic hours, too, with Military tickets. They say no, but let us in anyway. This weekend is blocked out for people with season passes so we hope the lines aren't too bad. I don't remember WDW blocking out busy days for season pass-holders.

Disneyland doesn't have the same Rope Drop as Magic Kingdom so we aren't missing it by entering early.

DSCN1617.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To show you how close the parks are, turn around from the Disneyland main entrance and there you have Californa Adventure.

DSCN1747.jpg

Main Street is very similar the WDW. We were told that Sleeping Beauty Castle is much smaller that Cinderella Castle, but I was still surprised.

DSCN1619.jpg

DSCN1624.jpg

DSCN1623.jpg

Right of Sleeping Beauty Castle is Fantastyland. Note that Astro Orbiter is at ground level.

DSCN1625.jpg

Left is Adventureland and Frontierland.

DSCN1627.jpg

That is where Linda and I became "Disney" addicted. I was stationed in San Diego and going to Disneyland was a regular occurrence. You are making us very jealous since San Diego is also a love of ours.

Glad you had a great time.

Ooh - I'm going to point my sister to this TR. She's taking my nephew out to CA on spring break and Disneyland and the San Diego Zoo are on their agenda!

Are they renting a car? I'm used to traffic in the Fort Worth/Dallas area; but, California traffic is a whole 'nother story. I'm glad we used Gray Line to get around.

We head through the castle since Adventureland and Frontierland aren't open yet.

DSCN1635.jpg

The Sleeping Beauty Castle draw bridge really works. Here is the mechanism.

DSCN1636.jpg

We enter Fantasyland. The Sleeping Beauty Castle tour isn't open yet. We'll come back later.

This is a quaint area and one of the first thing's we see is Mr Toad's Wild Ride!

DSCN1646.jpg

Here's Joyce in the car out front.

DSCN1647.jpg

The orignal Dumbo and Teacups!

DSCN1649.jpg

DSCN1652.jpg

We head over to Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. I figure the line there will be long later. The seagulls are the same ones as the ones outside The Seas at Epcot. They even say "Mine, Mine, Mine". The submarine ride has been re-purposed to include the Finding Nemo story that Epcot has in the "clam shell" ride (I can't remember its real name).

DSCN1654.jpg

Climbing into our submarine.

DSCN1655.jpg

Pictures from my porthole.

DSCN1656.jpg

DSCN1662.jpg

DSCN1664.jpg

Are they renting a car? I'm used to traffic in the Fort Worth/Dallas area; but, California traffic is a whole 'nohter story. I'm glad we used Gray Line to get around.

I think they are planning to have a car. They're from the Boston area, so no strangers to crazy traffic and insane drivers, but I'll give them the heads up.

Really great photos!!

Next we are off to Autopia, similar to the cars you drive at MK in between Space Mountain and Fantasyland, only you can really drive these.

DSCN1668.jpg

DSCN1667.jpg

DSCN1670.jpg

DSCN1669.jpg

Next is Space Mountain. The queue is outside. Lots of other rides here have outside queues. Unlike the WDW Space Mountain, these cars hold riders two across. See the rocket with the red stripe? We can see if from our hotel.

DSCN1671.jpg

The Matterhorn Bobsleds are closed for renovation.

DSCN1653.jpg

Buzz Lightyear!!! Bad picture but you can tell by the colors it is similar. One big difference, and it's a biggy. The ray guns are not fixed to the cars. They are on a cord and you can shoot in any direction! You don't have to rely on rotating the car.

DSCN1672-1.jpg

Joyce gets a fast pass for Star Tours and we head to Sleeping Beauty Castle. You wander through the castle reading the story of Sleeping Beauty and viewing the dioramas (sp?).

DSCN1673.jpg

DSCN1676.jpg

I looked in this little window and a guard's pike (that long stick with the blade on the end) moved by.

DSCN1678.jpg

DSCN1677.jpg

Next we head over the Frontierland, Adventureland, Critter Country, New Orleans Square.

Here's Critter Country.

DSCN1686.jpg

One unique "ride" is Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes. We actually paddled the canoes around Tom Sawyer Island.

DSCN1692.jpg

DSCN1694.jpg

The Mark Twain Riverboat passes us.

DSCN1691.jpg

This boat is closed for renovation.

DSCN1685.jpg

The Adventures of Winnie the Poh.

DSCN1689.jpg

DSCN1688.jpg

DSCN1690.jpg

Next New Orleans Square.

Haunted Mansion is closed for renovation.

DSCN1683.jpg

DSCN1684.jpg

The buildings in this area all have a New Orleans flare.

DSCN1699.jpg

Jazz musicians.

DSCN1682.jpg

Adventureland

Pirates of the Caribbean. No pictures turned out good enough to post. It was similar to the one at WDW.

Jungle Cruise is nearly identical to WDW.

Tarzan's Treehouse - like The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.

DSCN1697.jpg

DSCN1698.jpg

No need to tell you what this is!

DSCN1701.jpg

We missed Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Bummer...

I went to Disneyland/DCA in 2008!! The biggest thing I liked about Disneyland is the TRUE park hopping, just walk across the plaza, AND the fact I could stay in the cheapest hotel in the area, and be at my hotel 15 minutes after fireworks were over just by walking!!!!!

I flew into LAX and used a company called Super Shuttle. Similar setup to the Mears system in Orlando.

My only regret is I flew in at night and flew out at night (redeye), so I wasn't able to see the landscape as I crossed the country, and didn't really see much of LA as we traveled by van from the airport to our hotel. So for all I experienced, Disneyland could have been in the next town over from mine.

I LOVE the new entrance to DCA. It looks so classic.

Great report Judy! I've never been to DL. I think California got the shaft when it comes to the castle, it's so tiny! I guess they made up for it by having Mr. Toads, the submarines and Davey Crockett canoes though.

Great pictures, it's been over 25 years since I've been to DL and the wife has never been there looks like we might have to plan a trip there sometime soon,plus we can use our DVC out there now if we can get in. Thanks again your photos are wonderful!!!!!!!!!

That is where Linda and I became "Disney" addicted. I was stationed in San Diego and going to Disneyland was a regular occurrence. You are making us very jealous since San Diego is also a love of ours.

Glad you had a great time.

Thanks for serving our country. San Diego seems like it would be an interesting place to be stationed, as long as you can get base housing or affordable off-base housing.

I went to Disneyland/DCA in 2008!! The biggest thing I liked about Disneyland is the TRUE park hopping, just walk across the plaza, AND the fact I could stay in the cheapest hotel in the area, and be at my hotel 15 minutes after fireworks were over just by walking!!!!!

I flew into LAX and used a company called Super Shuttle. Similar setup to the Mears system in Orlando.

My only regret is I flew in at night and flew out at night (redeye), so I wasn't able to see the landscape as I crossed the country, and didn't really see much of LA as we traveled by van from the airport to our hotel. So for all I experienced, Disneyland could have been in the next town over from mine.

I LOVE the new entrance to DCA. It looks so classic.

There isn't much to see between Orange County John Wayne Airport and Disneyland. We arrived after dark and left about 8:30 AM. Both times all we could see was highway and office buildings. Now the trip to the San Diego Zoo was along US 5 which parallels the ocean for a while. Nice.

We have Supershuttle in the DFW area. Nice way to get to and from the airport.

It is great to be able to walk easily to and from the hotels near Disneyland to the parks. The equivelant of walking from the car in the Epcot or Animal Kingdom parking lots to the parks' main entrances.

Great report Judy! I've never been to DL. I think California got the shaft when it comes to the castle, it's so tiny! I guess they made up for it by having Mr. Toads, the submarines and Davey Crockett canoes though.

The Sleeping Beauty Castle is so small but the big plus is being able to wander through it and be part of the story.

I've never been to DL, either, so this is really fantastic. Is there less walking than, say, Magic Kingdom? It looks like everything's in a much closer area.

Much less walking at Disneyland. We didn't backtrack as much at Disneyland because there weren't as many Fast Passes or single rider lines. Also, much less walking just to get to the parks.

Next stop, It's a Small World and then Toontown.

It's a Small World also has an outside queue.

DSCN1703.jpg

DSCN1705.jpg

DSCN1706.jpg

DSCN1707.jpg

DSCN1708.jpg

It's the last day for the It's a Small World Christmas decorations.

DSCN1713.jpg

DSCN1714.jpg

DSCN1715.jpg

Chip and Dale's tree house.

DSCN1716.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

The cars from Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin. It's similar to Mr Toad's Wild Ride, only the cars spin (gently) out of control for part of the ride.

DSCN1718.jpg

Back up front across from City Hall is Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. It gives a brief history of Abraham Lincoln. The animatronics used to move Mr. Lincoln are supposed to be the most advanced used in any of the Disney characters.

DSCN1757.jpg

Here are some of the slides used to tell his story.

DSCN1753.jpg

DSCN1754.jpg

DSCN1755.jpg

Next we take the Disneyland Railroad around the loop. The only difference between the Disneyland and WDW trains is the part that goes through Critter Country. There are inside dioramas of the Grand Canyon and Disnosaurs. I took pictures but between the darkness and the motion, they didn't turn out.

Love the roger rabbit cars!

What were the temps like? I thought it was always warm in CA but it looks like some people are bundled up.

Even on my trip in August, I needed a fleece early in the morning and after the sun went down. It was in the upper 60s, low 70s when the sun went down, but in the low 80s during the day.