New member here but I have been reading a bit. Brought over here from "that other place" by a friend.

So here is my situation, sorry in advance for any rambling. I am going through seriously Disney withdrawl and trying to come up with some options for how to get back! I just started back to school part time and will hopefully be entering a nursing program in the fall of 2013. Money is tight. Dh has already said we will go to Dis to celebrate when I graduate but that will be 2015 at the earliest!! I am looking at the YES programs for some of the kids in August and the ticket prices that would go with it. For this (theoretical) trip, it would most likely be myself and my 4 youngest kids who are 13, 12, 10 and 8.5. Tix would be about $1000 for a 7 day ph and the campground would be about $325. Great prices right???

While we have a travel trailer, I would not be using it as I don't drive dh's truck and he would most likely not be joining me (not able to get away). We have 2 large tents though so I would bring those and we could spread out a bit. I also have a dining tent. I would have to fit everything in a minivan though. Ideas for setting up an a/c in the tent? Could I make it with just my Coleman grill and a couple of crockpots? What would be my must haves for tent camping at the fort? I have visited but never camped there before!

Tell me what I am missing from this "splendid" plan. I know I am probably not being completely rational but I have a NEED to get back to my mouse!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say how much I LOVE the community feel of this board? I am not a very active poster but, even when I was posting a lot, I never felt like part of anything "over there". I felt like there

....I TOLD you, Steph!!!!! These fiends are AMAZING!!!!!!! You'll be getting your SNARKY on real quick! Doodle lives just north of us. We plan to do a meet and greet sometime soon. I'll have to ta

So dh and I talked a bit more about my trip this morning. He seems to be open to it but $$$ is a fcator. Just need to find a way to come up with some cash and I'm all set! I think he liked hearing

Can I just say how much I LOVE the community feel of this board? I am not a very active poster but, even when I was posting a lot, I never felt like part of anything "over there". I felt like there was a small "in" group and if you weren't part of it, you didn't matter. Even just reading here, this place has true heart!! The people are amazing. :heart: Very thankful a friend directed me to read a great TR. It took me 3 evenings to read the whole thing but not only did the love of a family show, the love of everyone else did as well.

....I TOLD you, Steph!!!!! These fiends are AMAZING!!!!!!! You'll be getting your SNARKY on real quick!

Doodle lives just north of us. We plan to do a meet and greet sometime soon. I'll have to take you with me. :jumpforjoy

Ooooooo, and wait until you meet Mr. Warm 'n Fuzzy - I don't read TRs - bus driver....and some guy who looks good in a swimsuit and shimmies up things at the fort...and a snarky fiend who covers her tracks with :heart: s!!!!!

:bighug: :welcrowd: :bighug:

And I can't wait to hear from Judy!

Hey sweetheart! Welcome to Fort Fiends, I can tell you that this place is like no other, you will not only get all the info you possibly need and more, you will meet some of the most awesome people evah!!

Oh dear where to start. I camp occasionally (tent) with my kids (alone, Daddy travels alot), 12, 11, 10, 3 and 1. It's a blast! The fort is the mecca for tent campers. There is so much there for the kids I highly recommend that you plan some down time to enjoy what the fort has to offer. I by no means consider my self an expert but there has been a few tips I learned from fiends that I find invaluable. The first thing I always recommend to tent campers is to use painters plastic under your ground cover to keep it clean. Packing up is the most stressful part of the trip in my opinion, it's nice to be able to ball it up, throw it away and keep on moving. I dont know how to link you to my post but I have my last two trip reports on here (I'm sorry Halloweens' never really got finished..lol) but you can see my set up, crock pots are awesome, and I always use my coleman stove lots. We usually eat breakfast and dinner at camp and eat lunch in the parks so we save quit a bit of money that way. I have to tell you however, Trails End breakast is ADDICTIVE.. lol. You can reach me here, on Facebook (Carter Judy) or my email is [email protected], feel free to send me whatever questions you might have. I love to plan trips to the fort, even when they aren't mine :) When are you planning on going again?

Looking forward to talking to you more soon!

Thanks Judy! You are more adventurous than me with the little ones still! I'm hoping to go in August (gotta figure out my class schedule) with the 4 youngest kiddos. Looking at staying for 10 nights and getting a 7 day park pass so definately a few down days.Love the painters plastic idea!! Breaking down camp is the worst for me too and that would also save some work when I get home and keep the care a bit cleaner. I'm heading over to look at your TRs now and I am sure I will have more questions.

Hi Deb! Where does Doodle live? I would love to do a meet up! And as you know, Snark is my middle name. :raspberry:

Thanks Monique! I don't even have to search now! You guys really are the best!

...did I say I told you so yet??? :rofl2:

Judy has one of the biggest hearts on here from what I've read....you are all set! (Your "kid load" is similar too!)

Hopefully TJ will come on and tell you how he rigged his AC in his tent.

There is a commercial product if you are interested in investing.

http://acboot.com/work.html

I was hoping someone could tell me how to do that. I think if we are camping in August, I'm going to need it. And the cheaper the better!

Oh, and I tossed my idea out to dh tonight just to see how fast he would nix it and.......................................................he didn't say no!!!! :jumpforjoy

He didn't say yes either but at least it gives me something to work on.

Oh, and I tossed my idea out to dh tonight just to see how fast he would nix it and.......................................................he didn't say no!!!! :jumpforjoy

He didn't say yes either but at least it gives me something to work on.

I can tell you from experience, the Fort is one of the best places if you plan on going solo. I never felt nervous or "antsy" and the great thing about the fiends, they are always just a phone call or click away. I'm taking by clan to Stone Mountain for the Fiend memorial gathering this year and chances are Daddy will be away. I'm not the least bit nervous because I know if something happens, the fiends are there and will come running to my rescue, and that is a great feeling. My first trip to the fort DH was a bit nervous about it to, we had a 12 hour drive and that was probably the toughest part. He doesnt even flinch anymore when I tell him I'm planning a trip, the only question he ask is "are the fiends going to be there?" The short amount of time he has spent with them, he saw they are a special group.

I was hoping someone could tell me how to do that. I think if we are camping in August, I'm going to need it. And the cheaper the better!

I'm contemplating this for our memorial day trip, I'll let you know how it goes, I'm torn between this and using one of those stand alone units.. I haven't quit figured out how to "vent" that one..

I can tell you from experience, the Fort is one of the best places if you plan on going solo. I never felt nervous or "antsy" and the great thing about the fiends, they are always just a phone call or click away. I'm taking by clan to Stone Mountain for the Fiend memorial gathering this year and chances are Daddy will be away. I'm not the least bit nervous because I know if something happens, the fiends are there and will come running to my rescue, and that is a great feeling. My first trip to the fort DH was a bit nervous about it to, we had a 12 hour drive and that was probably the toughest part. He doesnt even flinch anymore when I tell him I'm planning a trip, the only question he ask is "are the fiends going to be there?" The short amount of time he has spent with them, he saw they are a special group.

It would definately be nice to have some people to count on. Even just to have another adult to chat with. I am pretty comfortable camping alone with the kids but I have never done it quite so far from home. Usually it is only an hour or so and dh dropped us off and picked us up so we could fit everything! It will be tight trying to fit everything in a minivan although I do have a soft side rooftop carrier I can use.

My sister has a stand alone a/c. I wonder if I could just vent it out one of the doors? Maybe I will borrow it and see in the spring.

It would definately be nice to have some people to count on. Even just to have another adult to chat with. I am pretty comfortable camping alone with the kids but I have never done it quite so far from home. Usually it is only an hour or so and dh dropped us off and picked us up so we could fit everything! It will be tight trying to fit everything in a minivan although I do have a soft side rooftop carrier I can use.

My sister has a stand alone a/c. I wonder if I could just vent it out one of the doors? Maybe I will borrow it and see in the spring.

oh you can do it! Our first trip I got all THAT stuff in a Armada I did use the roof bag to, it was tight but we made it ok.

oh you can do it! Our first trip I got all THAT stuff in a Armada I did use the roof bag to, it was tight but we made it ok.

Really? Did you take camp chairs and air mattresses and everything? My minivan has the stow and go and we are good when it comes to packing light with clothes but everything else seems to take up so much space!