For those with awnings attached to their campers, do you normally roll them up at night or not? If you base it on the wind predictions, what is the wind speed that makes you decide to take it up?

I like to have it out when I get up in the morning, esp if there is dew on the ground. It makes a dry area around the door. I just wondered what other people do.

Also was wondering whether you leave the feet on the side of the camper, or set them out carport style.

I always leave mine out at night, but I use awning deflappers and tie it down. I also keep it at lower angle. The only exception is when we are camping by the ocean, in which case I just roll out the awning as I need it. I have seen those 'little' gusts of wind coming from the ocean take out many awnings, tied down or not.

I have only lost one awning due to a storm w/ wind and of all things, it pushed down on it and broke the tube.

On our old camper we left it out unless the weather was calling for high winds.

We now have a class A that we purchased a whopping two weeks ago, and it has an automatic awning with a wind sensor which will close the awning when the winds get too strong.  I still have some reading to do on that one - it is a nice feature, but I wonder how well it works?

We were camped next to a class A at the Fort back in Oct, I sat and watched their auto awning going in and out as the wind would change speeds.  Seems like it worked pretty well from my perspective.

Those look cool, but you would never be able to hang anything from your awning or it would get sucked up when it retracted...

Ours stays out at the Fort.  We would usually have a screen room hanging from it.  Sometimes use deflappers and occasionally tie downs.  Always leave rear end lower for runoff.  When we use the screen room, we also use Awnbrellas (4) to arch the roof (awning).

Since our pup is a highwall, and our awning is a bagged type, we leave it out all the time.  It there is a storm approaching, we will try to somehow remove the support legs and let it hang, but it is almost impossible to roll up.  I should probably start bringing a 6 ft ladder instead of the stepstool. 

I'm glad you posted this because it's something I hadn't given much thought prior to now.

Yep, as far as I'm concerned awnings and screen rooms are meant to be up, I mean what good is weather protection when you can't put it up.

There was the strangest thread on our T@B forum that was asking about the awnings and screen rooms that can be purchased for the T@B.  A lot of folks said they only put theirs up if it wasn't going to rain?:highfive:?  I mean that's what they are for aren't they?  So you can sit outside while it's raining??

I agree, the reason for having it out is protection from the sun and rain. I prefer to have it out overnight since it gives me a dry area to walk when the rest of the site is covered in dew. It was a blessing one weekend last summer. It was raining when we woke up, but I could still cook saugages and eggs on the griddle outside the door, so the TT didn't smell like grease all day.

The problem in this part of the country is that rain is often part of a thunderstorm, which means wind. I'm never sure how much my awning will withstand, so I'm nervous about leaving it up at night.

I have been the victim of the wind. We were camping in our 74 Winnebago in Chatanooga. It was supposed to rain, but we weren't worried about that! At one point, the thunder woke me up, but I guess we were really tired and slept through a major storm. Woke up the next morning and were almost trapped inside because the awning had the door blocked. It was a wreck! Bent the legs, tube everything, we had to take it off and dispose of it right there.

I was always paranoid after that with the little TT we had, but never had another problem. I miss having a camper. :golfclap: