Topsail Hill pics (every site)

I used that album to pick our site when we stayed there a few years ago. It's a great resource. The guy who put it together doesn't live too far from me.

Can you use a golf cart there and if so can you drive it to the beach? And is it a place worth driving 600 miles to spend a week.(keeping in mind we compare everything to the Fort)

Can you use a golf cart there and if so can you drive it to the beach? And is it a place worth driving 600 miles to spend a week.(keeping in mind we compare everything to the Fort)

No, you cannot use a a cart there nor can you ride it to the beach. There are 3 ways to get to the beach - tram, bike or walk.

Topsail is DEFINITELY worth the drive. Like you, we compare everything to the Fort as well ...but we really use FW and Topsail as our benchmarks.

We stay there every summer and sometimes manage to get down there more than once.

Michael-

Grayton Beach State Park is about 12 miles east of Topsail Hill. It has a beach that was chosen as the best beach in America one year, and also a beautiful coastal lake. It allows golf carts, and you can drive your cart from your site right to the boardwalk to the beach.

The campground is a typical state park campground. It has two loops. One loop is older, and has unpaved site with just electric and water-with a dump station on the loop. The other loop is just a couple of years old, and has electric, water and sewer at each site. There are two comfort stations- one is a little rough, but clean, and the other is new and very nice. I would compare the size of the two loops to the 100 and 200 loops at the Fort- it's a pretty small campground.

Aside from the beach and lake, there isn't much to do at Grayton Beach.

But the town of Seaside, which has great restaurants, and all kinds of activities, is only a mile away.

A couple of years ago, we spent a week over spring break at Grayton Beach State Park.

I will tell you with no doubt that it would be worth you driving 600 miles to spend a week there.

TCD

I have 2 pictures on my office walls that I took, had them enlarged and framed. I'm looking at them right now.

One is of a sunset on the beach at Topsail.

The other is the sorcerer's hat at DHS at night.

Those are my happy places.

(the sorcerer's hat picture may get replaced with a pic I took of the castle last month)

This is why I say those 2 campgrounds are our benchmarks. Trust me......Topsail is worth the drive.

Michael-

Grayton Beach State Park is about 12 miles east of Topsail Hill. It has a beach that was chosen as the best beach in America one year, and also a beautiful coastal lake. It allows golf carts, and you can drive your cart from your site right to the boardwalk to the beach.

The campground is a typical state park campground. It has two loops. One loop is older, and has unpaved site with just electric and water-with a dump station on the loop. The other loop is just a couple of years old, and has electric, water and sewer at each site. There are two comfort stations- one is a little rough, but clean, and the other is new and very nice. I would compare the size of the two loops to the 100 and 200 loops at the Fort- it's a pretty small campground.

Aside from the beach and lake, there isn't much to do at Grayton Beach.

But the town of Seaside, which has great restaurants, and all kinds of activities, is only a mile away.

A couple of years ago, we spent a week over spring break at Grayton Beach State Park.

I will tell you with no doubt that it would be worth you driving 600 miles to spend a week there.

TCD

Thanks I remember your trip report I really enjoyed it. Could we drive our cart to Seaside?

No, you cannot use a a cart there nor can you ride it to the beach. There are 3 ways to get to the beach - tram, bike or walk.

Topsail is DEFINITELY worth the drive. Like you, we compare everything to the Fort as well ...but we really use FW and Topsail as our benchmarks.

We stay there every summer and sometimes manage to get down there more than once.

Thank you very much for the info.

Thanks I remember your trip report I really enjoyed it. Could we drive our cart to Seaside?

I have seen it done.

But, I'm not sure if it's legal.

A few years back, when my father-in-law was alive, we wanted to bring him with us to Seaside. He had trouble walking, so we looked in to renting a golf cart for him. I had seen rental carts around there. The roads in Seaside are private, and the HOA allows residents to purchase golf cart permits. But at the time, they did not allow non-residents to drive golf carts on their roads. The golf cart company I contacted told me that they would still deliver a cart to Seaside, but they couldn't guarantee that we would be allowed to use it. We decided not to chance it, but I saw a few rental carts in use around the town, and it seemed like no one said anything.

Since then, a new golf cart rental company popped up down the road. They advertise their carts as "street legal." They have Florida license plates on the carts, but otherwise they look like normal golf carts to me. They claim that since the carts are street legal, they can be driven anywhere in the area, including Seaside. When we visited last summer, there were a lot of these carts around.

So, I would say if you want to drive your cart from the park to Seaside, dig up some old license plate and slap it on your cart. As far as I can tell, this is allowed. But, I also think if the County Sheriff ever wanted to, you could get a pretty good ticket for driving a golf cart on the public roads between the park and Seaside.

TCD

• 1 month later...