3 nights on the Dream!

So we ended after seeing the outside of the dining rooms. I'll have interior shots later.

The children's area was having an open house while in Port Canaveral. I went and toured and wow, I want to be able to play in there! Most of deck 5 is the children's area. If some parents are thinking of a cruise, rest assured your child will be very entertained! There is also a pre-teen area and teen area but I did not visit those.

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That evening we attended the first showing of The Golden Mickeys and had dinner at the Enchanted Garden.

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

DSC_0443.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

The premise of the Enchanted Garden is that it transforms from day to night during the course of the meal. We were sitting in the back corner of the restuarant and didn't get to experience much of the atmosphere.

DSC_0441.jpg

DSC_0446.jpg

DSC_0447.jpg

DSC_0448.jpg

We took a walk around Deck 4 after dinner. Just imagine the sea air, gentle breeze, and quiet relaxation while walking with your spouse. It's a must-do for me!

DSC_0451.jpg

Turndown service had been completed while we were at dinner. The brochure lists all the activities planned for the next day and the chocolates have Sleepy on them. Of course, the required DVC advertisement showed up each night.

DSC_0439.jpg

We changed back into comfy clothes and went up top. Finding Nemo was playing.

DSC_0473.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

The toddler splash area.

DSC_0481.jpg

We turned in early for our next day at Nassau.

Wow! You are doing a great job with that new camera!

I am seeing many details in your photos that I did not know about- like the barstools in the adult pool! I can see myself sitting there.

The children's areas on the Magic and Wonder are nice, but the new ones on the Dream look way, way nicer!

The TCD twins often remind us that we need to take a cruise on one of the new DCL ships before they turn 18 so they can enjoy the teen area. It is supposed to be super nice.

TCD

You honestly have me considering switching the Beach Club for the cruise!!! Those pics are awesome. I've never been on a cruise, but I think the Disney ones just look incredible!!! Can't wait to hear more!!

I had set my alarm for 7am the next morning. I usually have to be at work at 7 so I managed a little extra sleep. I didn't want to waste any of my precious time aboard. We had breakfast on the back porch of Cabanas. If you forgot, this is the magic spot. We hadn't reached Nassau yet and there was a nice sea breeze.

DSC_0325.jpg

Soon enough we were pulling into port

DSC_0483.jpg

DSC_0486.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0496.jpg

The Atlantis Resort

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

Here's proof I was on this trip!---not many pictures when you're the photographer

DSC_0514.jpg

We had decided against any excursions to save money. We hadn't visited Nassau before but family and friends had shared their experiences. I knew what to expect but can see how easily Nassau can be intimidating for a first time cruiser. Once you depart the ship, you are immediately bombarded by people trying to sell you things, give taxi rides, and take you on tours. Best advice I have is don't make eye contact and bring as little stuff as possible with you.

The cruise lines will pass out shopping guides for each port, listing their recommended stores. I've had good experiences in St. Thomas and the French side of St. Martin. Nassau would not be on my list for quality shopping. I also had forgotten my cash in the stateroom safe and I wasn't about to use a credit card in some dodgy shop.

Once we dodged through all the vendors we stopped here for a shirt and turned right back around to reboard the ship.

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg

I too would love to play in the kids area! Looks like a lot of fun.

We've cruised to Bahamas a couple of times, and I don't care for Nassau either. I always tell people to go once (if they've never been) as there are some neat historical things to see and Atlantis is beautiful. The locals bombarding you when you get off the ship is my pet peeve! :argh:

Back on board we ordered room service. Mickey Bars are one of my favorite treats to get at WDW. They aren't easily accessible on the ship though. You can order through room service (and they expect tips) or you can get in the dining rooms off the children's dessert menu. There is a soft serve ice cream stand near the family pools for unlimited enjoyment though.

DSC_0517.jpg

We knew we weren't going to spend much time actually in Nassau. In preparation the day before, we had purchased passes to the Rainforest Room in the Senses Spa. Passes cost $16 per person per day or $75 for a couples pass for the entire cruise. I didn't take pictures and instead of copying some pictures from google, I found this review. Give it a read! http://travelonadream.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/rainforest-room-on-the-disney-dream/

We purchased a pass to a similar experience on our Princess Honeymoon cruise. Their room is called the thermal suite and we really enjoyed it. That was a 9 day cruise and it was nice to have a quiet space to escape to when the public decks were too crowded.

The Dream beat Princess in this area. They offered more lounges, two hot tubs on an open air private deck (these hot tubs were different from the ones near the family and adult pools), bigger saunas and steam rooms, and nicer showers. I truly recommend this!

The crowds were sparse on the decks with everyone exploring Nassau. We got two loungers on the second story of the adult pool area. We alternated between the pool, rainforest room, lounging, and grabbing plates from the counter service locations. We did not mind not spending a lot of time in Nassau---we had paid the big bucks to enjoy the ship anyways.

I love how this photo shows so many different shades of blue in the water:

DSC_0486.jpg

I agree with you about Nassau. When we visit there on a cruise, we just get off and walk around the shopping area, and then get the heck back to the boat!

That is a great idea to visit the Rainforest Room on Nassau day.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report.

TCD

I need to hijack my own report to show everyone some pictures of our new baby

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

DH found it on Tuesday, had a hitch installed on my Jeep and traveled to pick it up yesterday, and we have already loaded in most of our stuff. I can't believe how much our camping preparation has been simplified already. This has been a long time coming and we are ready to introduce it to the Fort in less than two weeks!

I'll come back to the Dream tomorrow. It's been a busy week, sorry for the delay!

Wow!

Congratulations on the new camper!!!

I see it even has AC, so your DH's McGyver days are behind him. Judging from the vents on the side, it looks like you have a water heater in there too. I love that u-shaped sofa you have in there. Awesome!

Please either post or PM me your site number when you get to the Fort. Maybe I can drop off something that you can use as a decoration in that camper.

TCD

Wow!

Congratulations on the new camper!!!

I see it even has AC, so your DH's McGyver days are behind him. Judging from the vents on the side, it looks like you have a water heater in there too. I love that u-shaped sofa you have in there. Awesome!

Please either post or PM me your site number when you get to the Fort. Maybe I can drop off something that you can use as a decoration in that camper.

TCD

Thank you, thank you! We have been saving for a while and it's a wonderful feeling to know it's ours. I'm very sure Mr.McGyver will find some other way to make trouble for himself. It has a hot water heater, a/c, heater, fridge, outside shower, queen and king bed. I need to pick up a small microwave and we'll be all set for comfort.

I'll PM once I know something!

We stayed outside till late afternoon and then went back to the room to get washed up. We decided to skip the stage show that night and instead went to the Buena Vista Theater to watch The Muppets. It was a great movie experience. No outrageous ticket prices and only a handful of other people. The movie ended with enough time to get changed for dinner. Our dining room that evening was the Royal Palace.

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0541.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

As the name suggests, this was the most extravagantly themed dining room and my favorite of the three.

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

Tonight was Pirate night. After dinner we headed up to the pool area to snag a spot.

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0565.jpg

They put on a stage show featuring Captain Jack

DSC_0573.jpg

The fireworks at sea. DCL boasts they are the only company allowed to have these. I don't know how that happened but a suspect it involved a lot of green.

DSC_0570.jpg

DSC_0568.jpg

After the fireworks there was a dance party called Club Pirate. We didn't stick around and came back to snuggle in here

DSC_0553.jpg

Our last full day on board was spent at Disney's private island, Castaway Cay. If you want island paradise, look no further.

DSC_0584.jpg

DSC_0579.jpg

The crew was loading trailers to deliver to the shops and bars.

DSC_0582.jpg

Towels everywhere! I enjoyed not having to worry about carrying around a towel from my room. I'm sure the laundry workers did not enjoy today though.

DSC_0581.jpg

We were one of the first people off the ship and on the island.

P1040947.jpg

P1040946.jpg

P1040951.jpg

P1040949.jpg

The storm damaged the Flying Dutchman and it had to be removed. An employee I spoke with said everyone is hoping they can receive the ship from the latest movie. I was bummed to have missed it!

P1040950.jpg

P1040976.jpg

We started off our morning near the snorkeling lagoon. We had brought our own gear and only needed a yellow safety vest from the equipment vendor. The water visibility in the lagoon was not so good and the water was rougher than we expected. This experience did not turn out well. I ended up turning around after we reached the first item. I am used to snorkeling in the Caribbean with great visibility and being able to see all around you. Stumbling upon something hidden in the sea was not relaxing. We did see a barracuda and that just added to the fun...

P1040971.jpg

P1040973.jpg

We stayed on the family beach for a couple hours before heading back to the ship. A BBQ lunch is served on the island but we wanted another meal at Cabanas. We were also able to have the adult pool area to ourselves and rode the Aquaduck with no line. We had waited 30+ minutes the day before at Nassau---don't make that mistake! Go and ride while everyone is on the island. It's not worth the long lines.

Around 1pm we walked back down to the island and rode the shuttle to the adult beach, Serenity Bay.

P1040955.jpg

P1040956.jpg

P1040970.jpg

P1040962.jpg

P1040963.jpg

P1040964.jpg

P1040966.jpg

P1040967.jpg

This was a great beach experience. The water was chilly but it was January--take what you can get! We stayed here for a few hours and left before the island round-up started.

P1040978.jpg

P1040990.jpg

DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0589.jpg

I was 'ehh' about this dining experience. It's all dependent on your table location. We had to crane around people's heads to see a screen and weren't able to really view any of the wall decorations.

Breakfast on the last morning is held in the previous night's location. That meant two mediocre meals : /

DSC_0601.jpg

DSC_0602.jpg

DSC_0598.jpg

I did want to bring home that bread basket though.

DSC_0597.jpg

DSC_0596.jpg

DSC_0604.jpg

DSC_0607.jpg

The technology is the same used at Turtle Talk in Epcot and Laugh Floor in MK. I believe the Animator's Palate will be different on the Fantasy.

DSC_0608.jpg

I was trying to capture the neat elevator decor. A Mickey hand displays the current floor. (and I promise I have two legs)

DSC_0612.jpg

Here is our last animal and last picture.

DSC_0617.jpg

The next morning we finished packing, had 8am breakfast, and waited in the customs line. We weren't quite ready to go home and leave Disney. We looked up Downtown Disney in the GPS and stopping by would add 2 additional hours--1 for the drive from port and 1 for shopping around. 5:00pm instead of 3:00 was fine with us. We arrived around 10:30am and pretty much had the place to ourselves. We made the traditional rounds of Lego, WoD, Ghirardelli, Goofy's for a rice crispy, and Earl to go. I-75 was closed most of the day for a marsh fire and accidents from the conditions. Between the stopped traffic and detours, we added 4 hours to our normal five. Luckily we had food and water in the car and didn't have to visit a bush or tree like many others.

And there you have it, 3 wonderful nights on the Disney Dream! I'd do it again in a flash but only for a discounted price. I know people expect more from Disney (and they do deliver) but you also know they are usually over-priced. The DCL is no different. For the price we paid, we could have taken a week long cruise with another company. We would not have had the Disney touch and magic but it all comes down to what you're willing to buy.

Thanks for reading!

Great report!! It's amazing how different people view the same things! We LOVED Animators Palate, and we were just "eh" on Castaway Cay (although it was hotter than Hades). After we left the island, I thought, I didn't see the pirate ship, and thought I just missed it, but now I know why!! We were there just days after Irene.

Great sunset shot!! I'm also glad we did the 4-day. Three days seems way too short!!

Your pics of castaway are better than mine. We were there just after the hurricane and so much was brown and torn up. Nice to see it so green. We loved Serenity bay and also deck 4 on the ship, it was so peaceful. I had forgotten about not seeing the Dutchman, good to know they are working on replacing it.

Congrats on the new pop up! I can't wait to read your reports from the Fort in it, excellent pictures included (hint, hint ;) )

Thanks for sharing your cruise experience. I'm not a huge cruise fan, but your photos made it look much more appealing than it really is, for me.

The towel animals are always my favorite part!