• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO, You are all wring with whey she needs to do! If youse take her xypzq and subtracted it from her daily BM snd urine output. Then add the wright if the neighbors dog and multiply by .076548543378

I have towed trailers for over 30 years and these simple calculations have always worked. I have locked horns with the great and powerful Larry over this issue and after all his involved math involving front axle ratings, rear axle ratings, gvcwr, tire inflation, lt vs st tires and what not, it came out the same. The main thing is don't just go by the tow rating of your vehicle and the dry weight of the trailer or you may end up in trouble. Give yourself plenty of wiggle room with weights. My guess after all this crap is that with your 3/4 ton truck, properly equipped, you should be well within your limits with this trailer.

Annie, so that is only the truck, right? It doesn't say anything about the class 4 hitch. Those would be different numbers right?

Most likely the 12K rating here is for the hitch itself and not the truck. It should be more than adequate for the trailer you are looking at.

From what I have seen, most stock hitches with 1/2 ton trucks and above has been class 4. The hitch on my truck far exceeds the tow rating for the truck.

Give yourself plenty of wiggle room with weights. My guess after all this crap is that with your 3/4 ton truck, properly equipped, you should be well within your limits with this trailer.

I also agree with FWG that you need to estimate on the high side to give yourself plenty of wiggle room. I kinda did the Larry calculations and all my numbers are maximum possible (in real life you will always be carrying more cargo/weight both in your truck and trailer). However, I agree that it seems your truck will be fine.

see.. all this talk about tongue weights and such is making my head spin. DH and I were out looking this weekend as well, He is in love with the Keystone Outbacks. They are defiantly "purty" but as most of you know, DH travels alot. I want something I can hook the armada up to and take off with out worrying about my sway.. tongue weight.. and whatever else it is I'm suppose to know. DH is convinced I'm crazy for asking for a pop up over a TT, maybe I am crazy.. but I believe in "KISS" keep it simple stupid!! :rofl2: As far as loading the stuff, as long as I have room for my blender I'm happy. I'm easy and not afraid to say it.. :rofl2:

The Keystone salesman suggested to DH that he have me see someone for my issues, never has he seen anyone snub their nose at a TT and get all giddy over a pop up..lol

I have a Keystone Outback 210rs, which is the smallest of the Outback series. We really like this trailer. I have owned two pop ups, one hybrid and this Outback and will tell you the Outback is the easiest to back up, most comfortable and easiest to set up of all of them.

See, I'm right there with you. I wanted a smaller trailer. Something I could possibly tow with the Durango. Little hybrid trailer or pop-up. But something like that would look pretty silly being towed behind the 2500 Dodge. :hah:

Hybrid probably.

No, not a hybrid. It is a conventional hard side, it just has a slidout that comes directly out the back instead of the side.

Again, not my department but... it's my understanding that tongue weight also has a lot to do with your hitch setup - specifically weight distribution, yadda yadda yadda...

I'm sure someone here knows all about such things.

But they're probably yelling at their TVs right now. :rofl2:

Tongue weight is tongue weight. No hitch will change that. The weight distribution system transfers some of the weight to the front and rear axles of the TV, but if your trailer has 600 lbs of tongue weight, it has 600 lbs of tongue weight.

The specs on the link for that trailer said the tongue weight was 833 lbs.

Most 3/4 ton trucks have around a 1800 to 2500 lb payload capacity. So if your truck is on the lighter side. Subtract the 800lb tongue weight from 1800lb payload capacity and it still leaves you a 1000lbs for everything else. One more thing that some people forget is to add the weight of the weight distribution hitch to your tongue weight.

Yeah. Ideally, to get actual weights, you will take the fully loaded trailer to a scales and get all the real weights for your unit. They do sell a relatively simple scale for tongue weight which is sort of like a heavy duty bathroom scale. For most purposes, though, the 10% rule works. Of course if you load 800 lbs of luggage in the front of the trailer, the rule goes out the window.