Back when they were building MGM Studio park they sold tickets for advance sales,we bought a couple at $99 each for 4 day park hopper use,would you cash them in to use for entry or just hold on to them. Not sure what we want to do but if we used them it would save us some money. Looking for your opinion no real right or wrong answer.

I've been reading through an FAQ, it looks like if you want to upgrade, then you basically have a $99 gift card for any future tickets. Once you use that pre-2006 ticket, it can only be used up, not upgraded.

It might be more valuable to use as is.

A 4-day MYW PH with no expiration is $397.25

If you use it they take the small stubb and you keep the large side a s a souvenier, we will be there in Oct. for 7 days and though we would use them then. We also have a voucher for 2 AP's from when we added on to our DVC membership, plan to use them when we retire. I also bought a ticket like this back when they built EPCOT but used that one years ago.

If I'm understanding Carol's post correctly, you can get a 4 day park hopper today for those tickets. That being the case, it's a no brainer.

I didn't quite get why you would hold on to them anyway. Are you thinking that you might sell them for more because of the commemorative value?

Carol is the expert, but wouldn't these tickets only be valid for the 3 parks available at the time. I.e. they could not be used at the Animal Kingdom?

I remember when MGM opened, we (my parents, I was a wee lil youngin) couldn't use the hoppers we had left over previously to get into MGM.

I'm sure Carol can jump in on this, hopefully to set me strait. I hope you can use them at all 4 parks.

How do I go about using the left over day on a really old 1980's five day park hopper? I know I have to transfer it to the currently used media form. My question is can I apply it to another park hopper and get a discount? Or would it be easier just to use the day as is and buy another pass?

Since 2006, you have only one option: ticket media conversion for old pre-1996 passes so you can use up the remaining admissions.

By converting your tickets to the current magnetic strip ticket media, you pay nothing and allow for the ease of use with the new magnetic strip reading turnstiles. Your magnetic strip passes can also be used in the FastPass machines. This allows everyone with any days left on their old WDW tickets to use them. You can convert these passes at any major park ticket booth or Guest Relations window (including water parks) at no charge. Once converted, the new tickets you get will be good at all four Disney Theme Parks.

I have some old passes with leftover days that say they are only valid for entry to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Are those still good?

Yes. Have them converted to the magnetic strip ticket and you can still use them. Oh by the way, once you do the conversion your days can be used at any of the four major parks now.

Ticket policy is really confusing:

I read this:

Current Disney policy (and we all know that is subject to change at any time) is that a completely unused ticket is really nothing more than a kind of "gift card". It carries only the value you paid for it until it is used. If you try to do an upgrade with it before using it, you will only be credited with the amount that you actually paid for the ticket. On the other hand, if you use as least one admission from that ticket before you upgrade, your ticket will be credited at the current gate price of the ticket meaning you get to keep any discounts you got when you purchased the ticket.

Which almost sounds like it might be good to use the ticket in a turnstyle then upgrade to a bigger ticket, and get the "current" value of the ticket.

BUT, then I read that:

Since 2006, you have only one option: ticket media conversion for old pre-1996 passes so you can use up the remaining admissions.

I'm no expert, just like Monique, I know of a few places to find information.

That there "Google" thingy that people keep talking about? :whew:

It makes sense that they require everyone to go the magnetic strips.

Predating 2006, I remember my folks using the non magnectic tickets that were punched in the turnstyle back in 2003. Those were a pita, b/c you really couldn't tell how many days were used, b/c they didn't punch evenly.

When I cashed in the ticket for when they built EPCOT the cashier said Are you sure you want to use this? I did not know why I wouldn't so I guess we will cash in the MGM tickets in Oct. seeing we were only planning on 4 days in the parks. We want to visit the Fort and also ply mini golf at the one with real grass, we always say we will and never do it.

When I cashed in the ticket for when they built EPCOT the cashier said Are you sure you want to use this? I did not know why I wouldn't so I guess we will cash in the MGM tickets in Oct. seeing we were only planning on 4 days in the parks. We want to visit the Fort and also ply mini golf at the one with real grass, we always say we will and never do it.

So it sounds like you are going to convert it to current media and use as is. Good VALUE!!!

So it sounds like you are going to convert it to current media and use as is. Good VALUE!!!

Agree, that $99 would have to have earned 6% annualized to break even with the current cost.

And looking at my retirement plan, I am begging for such a steady and "healthy" return!!!!

Agree, that $99 would have to have earned 6% annualized to break even with the current cost.

And looking at my retirement plan, I am begging for such a steady and "healthy" return!!!!

To bad I was to young and did not think ahead, guess I should have bought more then 2!!!!!!!!!!!!