As you might expect, during the course of an average day I get asked many, many WDW related questions. Over a 15 year history at WDW, and because of the many positions I've held, I estimate that I've answered at least 10,000 questions and counting.

Am I an expert, a big NO, and never will be, but I can get an official answer or Mo will.

So if you have a WDW question or wondered about something, go ahead, ask.

Here's a few just to get started that I was asked this week.

Q, MK is a mad house this time of year and I don't want to get caught in the mad rush out at closing time. I'd like to hang back and browse in the shops afterwards. Will they remain open or do they close when the park closes?

A, All the shops other than the ones on Main St. close at park closing. The Main St. shops remain open for 45 minutes after the park closing time.

Q, When is the last bus after the park closes.

A, Buses run until every guest is out of the park. The buses stop operating when they hear that the park is clear of all guests. It could be an hour, it could be three hours, but it's usually no longer than two.

Q, I enjoy seeing the Dapper Dans, do they perform when they feel like it or is there a schedule?

A, Yes, they perform according to a schedule. Also they're not there everyday.

That's why in addition to the park map that everyone picks up on the way in, you should also pick up a Times Guide which most people don't. The maps don't have schedules, just locations and misc info.

Q, I've heard of a thing called "Kiss Goodnight", what is it?

A, When leaving MK at the end of the night, Mickey appears from the Walt Disney World Railroad Station with messages of good night and "See ya real soon!"

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone asked, when should I come in order to avoid the annoying, loud, rude, and obnoxious groups? I said, oh, you know the Fiends. Fiends, I don't know about the Fiends, I'm referring to the Brazili

You've obviously mistaken me for a hip person. Do they even use that word anymore? See what I mean.

For the first nine years, I use to do a full day every week at the Orlando airport greeting 4 or so families. As I greeter I would hold up a GKTW sign at the exit to the gates, take them to get their

(deep breath in)

How many fingers are on the inside of Mickey's glove?

Are all clocks at all parks run on electricity? If so, how do they get reset when there is a power outage? Or does the emergency power kick on and keep 'em going? Does someone have to physically change the times...or is it done elsewhere? How many clocks are there?

I know at AKL, plants are "recycled" to feed the animals, what happens to the decorative plants after being removed? Do any get salvaged?

Are there official names for colors used when painting things at WDW? Like the auto companies do...create unique colors for Disney?

Are bus drivers in charge of cleaning gum, trash, seats, etc. after a run or is there a crew to take care of graffiti and gum?

What is the average life span of a bus at WDW? Mileage?

How often (and when) are the docks sealed at the Fort and other dock areas?

Is there a probationary period for CMs who have received a poor evaulation? Is there an evaluation?

How often are the presidents dusted and greased at MK?

If a guest wanted to hold a special party at Disney and invite extra family to a restaurant, do all guests have to buy a one-day pass to get to eat? Or are we only able to eat at a restaurant outside of a park?

What size are Goofy's shoes?

Has there ever been a birth of a baby on Disney grounds? If so, how many times? Any in MK?

How warm and fuzzy are bus drivers required to be?

Honest Lou, these were from my own little head....really...no kiddin'...

Remember, I'm trying my best to escape from thinking about surgery this weekend, so I'm letting my mind wander as FAR as it wants to go. :)

Ok, the warm and fuzzy question WAS a little pinch of cuteness towards you. :heart: (I'll have my fryin' pan ready for the eggs)

How many fingers are on the inside of Mickey's glove?

Four

Are all clocks at all parks run on electricity?

They prefer electricity to solar, wind, or steam operated clocks.

Are bus drivers in charge of cleaning gum, trash, seats, etc. after a run or is there a crew to take care of graffiti and gum?

Bus drivers don't have to clean anything on the bus. All buses get washed inside and out every day at a special location

What is the average life span of a bus at WDW?

I'm not aware of just mileage being a factor on the life span of a bus at WDW. They just keep replacing parts when they need to. Some older buses run better than some of the newer buses.

As long as it runs well, looks ok, and meets the gov't standards, I guess it stays in the fleet.

Is there a probationary period for CMs who have received a poor evaulation? Is there an evaluation?

They give out points for infractions and if you reach a predetermined number of points in a certain period of time, see ya.

If a guest wanted to hold a special party at Disney and invite extra family to a restaurant, do all guests have to buy a one-day pass to get to eat? Or are we only able to eat at a restaurant outside of a park?

If the party is just something that you decide to have at a restaurant in a park, guests would need to buy a park ticket.

If it's a party that Disney is responsible for, and I'm not sure what that would be, I'm assuming they would make arrangements for guests to get in without having to buy a park ticket.

What size are Goofy's shoes?

As far as I know, his shoes are so large, about 3 times the average clown shoes, that there is a need to have a shoe size for them.

How warm and fuzzy are bus drivers required to be?

On the official WDW W&F scale of 1 to 10, a 7 is mandatory.

Actually they do have what are called "The Basics" which are the guidelines that all CMs are supposed to go by while on stage.

I can't 100% guarantee the accuracy of all this, so if anyone has any corrections, better info or answers to Deb's other question, please chime in! OK here goes my first pass....

(deep breath in)

I know at AKL, plants are "recycled" to feed the animals, what happens to the decorative plants after being removed? Do any get salvaged?

Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but related facts...

• Disney's 750 horticultural professionals plant three million bedding plants annually and tend 175,000 trees and more than four million shrubs.
  • There are 13,000 rose bushes alone.
  • there are at least 800 hanging baskets.

Are there official names for colors used when painting things at WDW? Like the auto companies do...create unique colors for Disney?

Again, not exactly the answer, but some related facts...

• WDW employs approx. 600 painters
  • 110,000 gallons of paint were used by WDW and its many contractors in 2011
  • 20,000 different colors of paint used in Walt Disney World.
  • 2 times a month the horse shaped hitching posts on Main Street, USA are scraped and painted.

Has there ever been a birth of a baby on Disney grounds? If so, how many times? Any in MK?

Tough to find specific info for WDW, but...

• 3/11/12 - baby girl born in the Toy Story parking lot at Disneyland
  • 7/2/79 - first baby born at Disneyland
  • 4/05 - baby girl born at Disneyland's ESPN Zone
  • 12/2/84 - woman gave birth at Disneyland in the first aid station near Space Mountain

I can't 100% guarantee the accuracy of all this, so if anyone has any corrections.

Take all those numbers with a grain of salt.

The WDW info that is out there and accessible to the public is not reliable in a lot of cases.

For instance look up "how many buses does Walt Disney World have".

None of the answers are correct.

There is one in every crowd.

What web site did you get most of those from?

Just remember Deb, you'll be at the Fort someday, I will know what site you're in and I have a huge supply of toilet paper and eggs standing by for people like you.

I cannot finish reading the rest of the posts I had to give ya a little smiley laughs_6.giftheggheadsmile.gif

Take all those numbers with a grain of salt.

The WDW info that is out there and accessible to the public is not reliable in a lot of cases.

For instance look up "how many buses does Walt Disney World have".

None of the answers are correct.

Totally believe that. There's a whole site of Disney "by the numbers" that I came across, but it doesn't site any sources for their info so I take it all with a grain of salt.

Although the horticultural info is from an "official interview" with someone high up in Disney's horticultural dept, so I'm assuming some of that stuff is at least... close. ;)

Ok, I'm using the strategy of tackling Deb's questions not by actually answering what she's asked, but answering completely different questions on the same topic! :rofl2:

How often are the presidents dusted and greased at MK?

Here's the best I can do from an interview with Disney's Kathy Rogers about the big 2009 HoP refurb...

Q: What improvements have you made in the attraction technologically?

A: Like we have done on Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion, we’ve had the opportunity to come in and you can see the digital projection, which is incredible -the clarity of the images now-, digital audio, digital lighting control, LED lighting, we added a new show control to the animated figures on stage, we have new rigging, new screens. We did a little bit of everything.

...George Washington – because we added a mouth to him, he got a new head animation but George Washington and Abraham Lincoln are pretty much the same figures that have been performing here since 1971.

Q: Is the Obama animatronic the most advanced that you’ve created so far?

A: It is the most advanced figure that we’ve build so far. We had new material technology. You can see in the skin, we have a lot more flexibility, some new functions in the head. Also, show control allows us to really have some very deliberate functions and movement to really bring that realism to it.

...Barack Obama and George Washington were completed, built, and animated here at Walt Disney Imagineering.

...It is existing technology that we use throughout all of our parks. This is the first time that all of the new technologies have been put in one figure.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2009/07/04/interview-with-disney-imagineer-kathy-rogers-about-the-updated-hall-of-presidents/