• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone asked, when should I come in order to avoid the annoying, loud, rude, and obnoxious groups? I said, oh, you know the Fiends. Fiends, I don't know about the Fiends, I'm referring to the Brazili

You've obviously mistaken me for a hip person. Do they even use that word anymore? See what I mean.

For the first nine years, I use to do a full day every week at the Orlando airport greeting 4 or so families. As I greeter I would hold up a GKTW sign at the exit to the gates, take them to get their

Just a small sample.

IMO, the one celebrity that really stands out is the one with the name on the KTTW card photo.

He is Edsel Ford II. He is the great grandson of Henry Ford and son of Henry Ford II. To me that was amazing.

That's awesome! It's really cool that you had the authority to comp his bill too. Just goes to show how powerful our busman truly is despite the alleged street cred.

When my grandfather first came to the US from Germany in the early 1900s, he "pal'ed around" as he called it, with Edsel Ford - the first one. Of course, back then the company wasn't as big and Edsel was just another young man. My grandfather came thru Ellis Island and spent his first years here with his uncle in NY or CT where they met. He was involved with some sort of new car design and later had an automotive body shop in Baltimore back in the days when you had to melt lead and shape aluminum to fix cars.

Hearing the stories as a child and looking at the old photos I was always so impressed - not b/c of who Edsel was but b/c there was a car named after him. Having a car named after you seemed like true success in my elementary school mind. Come to think of it, it doesn't suck today either. :rofl2:

I always thought Henry Ford II was Edsel's brother but, from your description, I just learned that was his son instead. I should get some of those old photos from my aunt and tell my girls a few of their great-grandfather's stories. I miss him.

Any new happenings with the GF construction?

Any rumors about what projects could be coming after FL expansion and Avatar?

The GF project is moving along nicely. You can see it's progress from the MK.

The FL expansion and Avatarland are huge projetcs, so I'm not looking for anything that will rival those anytime soon.

IMO, HS and Epcot really need something new though.

That's awesome! It's really cool that you had the authority to comp his bill too. Just goes to show how powerful our busman truly is despite the alleged street cred.

I thought considering who it was, I was pretty safe in doing it.

When my grandfather first came to the US from Germany in the early 1900s, he "pal'ed around" as he called it, with Edsel Ford - the first one.

That's a great story Pam.

Thanks Lou. I think HS and Epcot need a little TLC too. I was hoping a "Cars Land" type project in place of the Catastrophe Canyon/backlot express at HS....and was hoping at some point that WS could add more pavillions at Epcot.....not sure if their is room but it's on my wish list.

oooooh... some version of Cars Land would be really cool.

So Lou... what, if any, other parks not run by a mouse do you visit and what's your favorite attraction there?

I think the land theming there is awesome, however, the attraction while it is a marvel, and I really like it, my head and tummy don't like it.

Plus the whole thing is just too darned small. We went during a slow time well after the opening and you had to wait in line for 30 minutes to go into the SHOP. And once you were in, the best you could do was shuffle about there were so many people.

The theming is amazing, but it really should have been at least twice the size.

As for the ride... my tummy tolerated it (just) but honestly I didn't think it lived up to the hype. Now the queue theming for it was a whole other story - it was amazing! You actually felt like you'd stepped into Hogwarts.

I've heard rumors they're working on plans for expanding WWOHP... I hope they're true.

Plus the whole thing is just too darned small.

The theming is amazing, but it really should have been at least twice the size.

I've heard rumors they're working on plans for expanding WWOHP.

That's my gripe too, need more, more, more.

Not a rumor about expanding though.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201112/2824/

Have you worked any other jobs at WDW besides the bus driver and GF concierge gigs?

How many times have you and TCD went spike hunting?

How many people have been spiked by you? by TCD?

Have you ever taken other Fiends on the hunt?

Have you ever traveled anywhere with Yuri? Such as River Country?

Where are your favorite places at each Park? at the Fort?

Have you ever met the Knights who say Ni?

Have you worked any other jobs at WDW besides the bus driver and GF concierge gigs?

I've worked as a bell cap at the WL two different times, the GF, and at the YC.

I've also worked the front desk at the GF and at the Dolphin resort

How many times have you and TCD went spike hunting?

I have never gone spike hunting. TCD has done all of it.

How many people have been spiked by you? by TCD?

I don't keep track, but it's in the dozens for me alone.

Have you ever traveled anywhere with Yuri? Such as River Country?

I've never met Yuri.

Have you ever met the Knights who say Ni?

I don't understand the question.

• 1 month later...

Someone asked, when should I come in order to avoid the annoying, loud, rude, and obnoxious groups?

I said, oh, you know the Fiends. Fiends, I don't know about the Fiends, I'm referring to the Brazilian groups, which btw, are not always Brazilians. They can be from other countries in South and Central America

And while were on annoying, loud, rude, and obnoxious groups, let's add American cheerleaders, gymnasts, dancers, and sports teams to the list. They can be just as bad as the South Americans and in some cases, worse. It's just that there aren't as many of them.

But if you want to avoid the foreign speaking groups, although some of the kids on the high school and college basketball teams speak in a non-English language, don't come during the summer, which you shouldn't anyway.

The third week in July is when they peak. They ramp up in early summer and max out during the third week in July. They'll be less of them starting this week.

Funny you should mention this, Lou. I was nearly trampled by a group when I was there a couple of weeks ago. This group did NOT stop! I was pushed several times and not a one walked around me. :(. Very sad. Maybe a lesson in crowd etiquette before the trip would be wise...

Maybe a lesson in crowd etiquette before the trip would be wise...

That's not going to happen.

It's nature's way of telling you not to come during the summer.

Any word on Fantasyland progress? How much of it can we expect open by Christmas?

I'm going to send you over to Mo's most excellent thread on the Fantasyland Expansion.

http://www.fortfiend...320#entry187284

How often do you volunteer at GTKTW?

For the first nine years, I use to do a full day every week at the Orlando airport greeting 4 or so families.

As I greeter I would hold up a GKTW sign at the exit to the gates, take them to get their bags, set them up with a rental car and making sure they knew where to go.

But my work scheduled has made it difficult to do that so I haven't been able to get into a regular rotation.

It was fun and I could spend about 45 minutes with the wish child and family.

I now fill in for my wife when she can' t make it. She also volunteers there.

Now that I know that I'll be working certain nights every week, I should be able to get back on a regular schedule.

I'm thinking I'll switch to volunteering at the village a couple of mornings each week instead of at the airport. The village is only five minutes from my house.

For the first nine years, I use to do a full day every week at the Orlando airport greeting 4 or so families.

As I greeter I would hold up a GKTW sign at the exit to the gates, take them to get their bags, set them up with a rental car and making sure they knew where to go.

But my work scheduled has made it difficult to do that so I haven't been able to get into a regular rotation.

It was fun and I could spend about 45 minutes with the wish child and family.

I now fill in for my wife when she can' t make it. She also volunteers there.

Now that I know that I'll be working certain nights every week, I should be able to get back on a regular schedule.

I'm thinking I'll switch to volunteering at the village a couple of mornings each week instead of at the airport. The village is only five minutes from my house.

:heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: :heartsmiley: