camping at the fort while brother inlaw at the lodge

We are camping at the fort meorial weekend and my borther inlaw is staying at wilderness lodge. he asked me if they could bring bikes to the lodge so they can ride over to visit us. Does the lodge have a storage area for his family to bring their bikes and how far is the ride on bikes. Any help would be great. i told him to stay with us but he is just getting back from afganistan and said he would like his own space.

I'm not sure about a place for bikes at the Lodge, but I believe the trail between is about a mile.

Here's the jogging trail map where they show the entire suggested loop (to and from the Lodge but also looping through the campground) at 2.5 miles.

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/activities/jogging-trail-r19

Two things:

1. Yes, there are bike racks at Wilderness Lodge. They are down near the marina. They are outside, and uncovered. They are also kind of out of the way, so I would say locks are a must.

2. The normal activity schedules come out on the first of each month, and show the activities scheduled for that month. When there are special holiday activities, they will print a separate schedule for the holiday (lately they have done that for Christmas/New Year's Eve, July 4th, Halloween and Thanksgiving- I'm not sure about Memorial Day). If there is a seperate schedule, the usual case is that it is not distributed until a few days before the holiday. This past Thanksgiving, they didn't have the schedule until Thanksgiving week had already begun. But, two Halloweens ago, they had the schedule printed a month ahead of time. So, if there is a special Memorial Day schedule, your guess is as good as anyone's as to when the schedule will be released.

Also- about transportation between the Lodge and the Fort, there are buses that go back and forth all day. There should never be more than a 10 or 15 minute wait, and it is a quick (and air conditioned) ride. There is also a boat, but that circles around to the Contemporary Resort too, so that will take longer than the bus.

TCD

Two things:

1. Yes, there are bike racks at Wilderness Lodge. They are down near the marina. They are outside, and uncovered. They are also kind of out of the way, so I would say locks are a must.

2. The normal activity schedules come out on the first of each month, and show the activities scheduled for that month. When there are special holiday activities, they will print a separate schedule for the holiday (lately they have done that for Christmas/New Year's Eve, July 4th, Halloween and Thanksgiving- I'm not sure about Memorial Day). If there is a seperate schedule, the usual case is that it is not distributed until a few days before the holiday. This past Thanksgiving, they didn't have the schedule until Thanksgiving week had already begun. But, two Halloweens ago, they had the schedule printed a month ahead of time. So, if there is a special Memorial Day schedule, your guess is as good as anyone's as to when the schedule will be released.

Also- about transportation between the Lodge and the Fort, there are buses that go back and forth all day. There should never be more than a 10 or 15 minute wait, and it is a quick (and air conditioned) ride. There is also a boat, but that circles around to the Contemporary Resort too, so that will take longer than the bus.

TCD

BUT, on the boats, they have finally gone back to two boats running in opposite directions, so just watch which direction your boat is coming from, and you can get a direct ride to any of the three locations. (Although, if the wrong boat comes first, you have a longer wait, but probably still shorter than taking the boat to the Contemporary)

We did this same arrangement with my parents last june,...we were at the fort and they were at the WL,....they didn't bike, it was either boat or bus....bus seemed faster bc the boat was going to either MK, contemporary then the fort....its a nice ride just not a fast one....I would think the bus would still be faster than biking, BUT that depends on the wait time for the bus....either way its still a great arrangement!

Thanks for all the info. We talked them into changing their ressie to cabins instead. As i usually read on here you all have great advice and lost of knowledge of the campground and the things to see and do. This is my brother in laws and his families first trip to the campground so we want to make sure they have a great time and enjoy everything there. We have made a few trips and seem to find more things everytime we go. I hope the yellow flies are not bad that weekend. This is our first memorial day trip. We have done July and Thanksgiving and had a blast.

I think your BIL will be much happier at the cabins. We will also be there Memorial weekend. I'll have my sign up, so if you see us out, stop by and say Hi.

Don't stress about the yellow flies. In 20 years, we only had one bad year (2010) Last year, we only saw one in 6 days. :jumpforjoy

3000 loop reservation requests can be faxed directly to me, whereby I will promptly process them thru my shredder.