Getting a new TT next month, need advice...

OK, we bit the bullet and decided that the pop up has lived its life and I need to have something with a full kitchen and bathroom...

We considered a hybrid at first cause Matt liked the floorplans with the cargo beds on the front, but I am sick of dealing with canvases and just ready to be able to back in, hook up etc...

We know we want something with a bunk house,a full separate room not just the beds off to the side... and we want one with the larger U dinette...and definitely has to have the slide in the main area. I'm planning on spending the majority of the summer in this and in the near future possibly full timing it and homeschooling the boys again.

All in all, narrows it down to maybe what, 40 models...lol... its driving me crazy... I have tons of notes on models we like but all of the salesmen "advice" on the band their dealer carries against anything else I like is confusing me...

For instance just Friday we went to one RV dealer which has 2 locations. 1 lot has Cherokees/ Grey Wolfs and the other is Jayco/Keystone. We really liked the Cherokee 294bh that we saw at the first lot and then at the 2nd there was a Jay Flight 29bh that we liked... so on our way out we were talking with the sales manager who was helping us and he totally trashed the way the construction of the Cherokee and was pushing the Jayco... saying that the Cherokee wouldn't be able to hold up to the wear and tear over the years of 4 active boys and our dogs.

Anyone have any input, suggestions on other makes etc... We are looking to buy one around Memorial Day and between all of the floorplans, websites and RV shows that I've been to, my head is swimming and I can't seem to keep anything straight.

Thanks

We love our Outback 301bq. Has a bunk room in front with 4 bunks, and a real nice master in back that is set up similar to how MH rear masters are...with a slide so you have some actual floor space. I also like how we have a separate entrance into our bedroom, so I can sneak out early in the morning without waking the girls up front. Also has a U-dinette. The dinette and sofa are on another slide. So far I've been pleased with the quality. We bought it January 2011.

Have fun shopping!

Check out Stoltzfus RV in Adamstown Pa. not a far ride from Circle M on Rt 272 a few miles past Green Dragon. They carry a nice line of Surveyor trailers with bunk rooms and outside kitchens. If you go there make sure you ask for Lee to help you he is a very good guy to deal with and tell him I sent you, I have had 4 people buy campers from him.

Rennie

We've been happy with our Outback. Didn't expect to go with a rear slide but the U dinette slide and TH area made up for it. On the road it's still lightweight and semi-small but opened up we're only an inch or so shy of 40 ft.

My new ideal TT would be just like Dave's but lighter, shorter, and with a garage. When they make that, we'll be going shopping again...

I like that floor plan Dave. If we did this when the kids were younger, I would have wanted a bunk house and yours fits the bill. I like the master bedroom. Much better than squeezing between the wall and bed to get to the other side.

Why didn't husband cross to the other side? Because he couldn't squeeze through. :rofl2: He would so kill me if he read this.

I like that floor plan Dave. If we did this when the kids were younger, I would have wanted a bunk house and yours fits the bill. I like the master bedroom. Much better than squeezing between the wall and bed to get to the other side.

Why didn't husband cross to the other side? Because he couldn't squeeze through. :rofl2: He would so kill me if he read this.

Looks like you are going to be joining TJ in the doghouse. :rofl3:

I saw the new winnebago towables they bought out sonnybrook I believe . Anyway it was very nice but the msrp was bellow most of the keystones in its range. keystone and jayco make good products buy if I was in the market now I would definatly look at winnebago first to compare

Thanks! I'll keep it all in mind :-)

I'd really love to be able to find a model with the larger bunk house over a larger main bedroom. Just figure the kids are going to need more room than I would for all of their crap.

Guess I have more research/shopping to do...

23 days and counting to make a decision....

There are 2 products (at least 2 entry level) that I know of that have more than a 1 year warranty....Jayco and Open Range. Not saying they are significantly better than any other product, but they are probably not worse. We just bought an open range and are so far pleased with it. I assume you want a TT and not a 5er....take a look at this floor plan if you get a second.

http://www.vpix.net/...x.php?tour=6907

We got the mega couch option and it is great for a larger family.

A few thoughts....

Jayco builds a good (for the most part) RV....two year warranty may come in handy. KZ also has a two year.

The new "Evergreen" rv's are interesting....no wood to rot, etc.

Don't over estimate your tow vehicle's capabilities.....TT's can wag the dog pretty good. Use the trailer GVWR for actual weight. Nobody tows a "dry" camper. Look into a "dual cam" hitch set up.

Store it under a shed....or a fabric cover at a minimum. A lot of headaches can be avoided this way...not to mention longer service life of the RV.

Try to find exactly what you want, and also think of what you might want in the future. A lot of people buy a RV only to find that it doesn't fit their needs exactly (been there, done that).

We have a 29bhs keystone cougar (2009). We love it. Would I have liked other brand with a similar floor plan....most probably. Are there better made brands with fine accrutremants......you bet. Are there shoddy quality units with cheap decorations....without a doubt

Do your homework, pick a floor plan, go to shows and "kick the tires", then buy the most expensive options u can comfortably afford.

We know the floorplans we like/need... I need to have 4 bunks, cause I dont want to deal with dropping the dinette and sofa every night etc and I want the kids to have their own "room" so if we are in the main part of the trailer after they go to bed, it doesnt bother them. We were set on a Cherokee bunk house and just stopped by the other location because they had a Jayco on closeout, so when we were talking to the sales manager, he basically told us that the Cherokee wouldn't hold up well enough for having 4 boys. Does that sound accurate? Are they not good quality trailers?

Another question, since we are looking at the light weight TT, the bunk house models that are in our range - some are aluminum frames. What are the pros/cons? I'm going to look at a Keystone Passport ultralight today so was just wondering...

Thanks again...

I think every dealer is going to tell that the brand they DON'T carry is not a good brand.

I remember reading on the rvnet place about a website that you have to pay for that had comparisons lots of different brands. But I don't remember what it was. Anyone help?

Trailer Life magazine used to have an annual issue that reviewed construction on all trailers. A great resource, but not sure if they still do it.

Don't listen to what the dealers tell you. Do your homework and decide for yourself! We spent years picking out our trailer (Airstream), which we camped in for 20+ years. We spent years picking out our moho (Country Coach), which we hope to spend 20+ years camping in.

Well, we decided to go with the Passport Ultralight 3220BH.... It has every option we wanted and is light enough for us to tow and then some. The bunk room has a slide out so there is plenty of room for the kids, a huge slide out in the living area, U dinette... plus the mini outdoor kitchen. Theres also plenty of room for the dogs too, which will come in handy once Abby grows up!

Just finished the finance application, so now just waiting to see if we get approved. They said it can take as long as 5 weeks to have it delivered, so even if everything goes through, seems like I'm gonna be stuck with the PUP for at least part of the summer....

Fingers crossed!!!!

Good luck with the approval! I know when I went through all of this a few months back, the hardest part was the waiting and not knowing and delays and paperwork and waiting and... it wears you out after a while. The hard part is over, though. Congrats.