• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mo, do you have anything official on this?

I don't know where that web site got the bracelet idea, but I can guarantee you that a bracelet was never mentioned in Disney's announcement.

RFID tags have a finite range. KTTW, CM IDs, etc, usually require that the RFID tag embedded in the card be very close to the receiver. In some cases, they just about have to make contact. It's not l

I've seen an article on a blog somewhere (here it is - http://mike151.web.officelive.com/DizTech012.aspx ) that even had photos of RFID bracelets that they alleged were similar to the ones that Disney was going to be using.

Speculation like that all too quickly gets picked up as fact.

Although Stitch Kingdom is usually a bit more careful than that.

The RFID tags can be put in anything, so it's not a stretch that they can be embedded in a bracelet, a credit card, an ID card, consumer products, you name it.

I've worked conferences where we attached them to attendee badges as they registered.

FWIW, there are "queue modifications" showing up in the construction notes on MousePlanet this week for...

• Epcot Captain EO – queue modifications.
  • Epcot Journey Into Imagination With Figment – queue modifications.
  • Epcot Mission: Space – queue modifications.
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios MuppetVision Theater – queue modifications.
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show – queue modifications.
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios Disney Jr. Live on Stage – queue modifications.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9958/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

From the Touring Plans blog. Check out the link at the end for more photos...

X-Pass First Look At Magic Kingdom Today

by Laurel Stewart on May 2, 2012 5 Comments

TouringPlans.com would like to give a HUGE shout-out to subscriber Chris from Wisconsin and his family for letting us tag along in Magic Kingdom today!

As reported at Jim Hill Media and other Disney fan sites this week, Walt Disney World began a limited test of new enhanced FASTPASS features that will roll out at some point in the future. Alternately called X-Pass or FASTPASS +, the new system will allow guests to pre-select a certain number of attractions per day for FASTPASS windows. We had already heard that some guests with resort reservations between May 1 and May 15 have been contacted by email to participate in the test. In a new twist, we now have seen guests approached at the Disney’s Magical Express check-in and asked if they wish to take a survey. If this happens to you, the answer is YES (and drop us line too)!

The FASTPASS card guests in the testing phase are given to use

IMG_4910-300x224.jpg

In the 3-5 minute survey, guests are asked to choose Magic Kingdom attractions from two lists to get FASTPASSes for on a particular day. We don’t have the exact stack up of attractions, but they are separated so you can only pick so many headliner attractions and the rest are less busy ones. The test seems to be limited to Magic Kingdom attractions, and guests may only try it for one day in their vacation as opposed to the length of stay. It’s not clear how guests are being selected at the airport to participate.

After picking the attractions and giving an email address, guests are presented with a FASTPASS card to be used in the park. They also receive email confirmation of their chosen attractions.

The following attractions are currently being tested:

Splash Mountain

Space Mountain

Jungle Cruise

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Peter Pan’s Flight

Mickey’s PhilharMagic

Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin

Haunted Mansion

Using the new system is very easy. There are RF scanners by the FASTPASS return entrances with Cast Members standing by. Guests wave the FASTPASS cards by the scanners, which sends their information to an iPad the Cast Member is carrying. The iPad shows the Cast Member the guest’s name, any special events the party may be celebrating, and if the guest’s return window is valid. If everything is in order, the guest goes through the entrance just like other FASTPASS users. Upon arrival at the point in the line where you would normally hand over the paper FASTPASS to the Cast Member, there is another RF reader that is scanned. The Cast Member verifies that the FASTPASS is valid and the guest continues on to board the ride.

In addition to being used to board attractions, the FASTPASS card can be scanned at other stations close to the FASTPASS kiosks that will let the guest know how many more attractions they have left for the day and what the return times are for them.

I was lucky enough to get to try this out today – a Cast Member told me that only 300 guests a day are currently part of the test. It worked flawlessly and there were several things I really liked about it. For one thing, it’s easier to keep up with one card than multiple small tickets. As someone who (no joke) had to have my Annual Pass replaced this week after leaving it in a FASTPASS kiosk in Animal Kingdom, I appreciated being able to wave my card in front of the reader instead of inserting it and waiting for the FASTPASS to pop out. Moreover, there is no worrying the Cast Member enforcing return times when it is a simple green for current return times or red for invalid times.

If anyone else has a chance to try out the enhanced FASTPASS system this month, drop us line and let us know what you think!

http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/05/02/limited-x-pass-testing-at-walt-disney-world-this-week/

Lou and Mo,

Any insider info on whether people will be able to still get regular fastpasses even if they have the preloaded card; when the new system goes live? Or.....will it be one or the other for those who participate in the new fastpass/x-pass? It would be nice at times to have a few things scheduled but still have the liberty to get regular fastpasses once you get to the park.

Am I understanding this correctly, you would get fastpasses for your entire vacation.....or maybe per day? Sometimes I don't even know what park I'm going to until I get up in the morning. And I may leave after one ride and go to another park. Will have to see how this one works out. Sounds way to structured for me!

So far it's sounding like you'll be able to schedule FPs in advance - not sure how far in advance though, or if you'll HAVE to schedule them in advance (can't imagine that'll be the case).

There haven't been official details released yet about how all this will work for those of us that don't decide what FPs they want until they're in the parks.

There's been a lot of speculation, but so far it's just that. The fact that they're doing testing is good as it will hopefully make the system more in line with "real life" scenarios.

I'll be anxious to see how it all shakes out.

Am I understanding this correctly, you would get fastpasses for your entire vacation.....or maybe per day? Sometimes I don't even know what park I'm going to until I get up in the morning. And I may leave after one ride and go to another park. Will have to see how this one works out. Sounds way to structured for me!

The regular FP will still be around for non WDW resort guests and for those that opt out.

It's a convenience for those that want it, I like it.

Many years ago, I am a visionary you know, I said, wouldn't it be nice if you could walk up to a kiosk when you first enter the park, click on the attractions you want to do and zap, FP passes for the entire day.

I believe it's coming. Can I sue them for stealing my idea?

From WDW News Today...

Select Disney World Guests Testing Next-Gen RFID FASTPASS System

May 3, 2012 by wdwntadmin ico_post_comments.png4 Comments ico_post_date.png Posted under: The Magic Kingdom, Uncategorized

Starting on May 1st, select Walt Disney World guests checking-in for Magical Express at Orlando International Airport have been asked to complete a survey. If they choose to answer the survey, well, then the fun begins. A guest relations cast member will provide the family with two lists of select Magic Kingdom attractions, asking them to pick 2 from each list. Here are all of the attraction involved in the test:

• Mickey at Town Square Theater
  • Princesses at Town Square Theater
  • Stitch’s Great Escape (Does not currently offer FASTPASS)
  • Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
  • Space Mountain
  • The Many adventure of Winnie the Pooh
  • Mickey’s Philharmagic (Does not currently offer FASTPASS)
  • Peter Pan’s Flight
  • The Haunted Mansion (Does not currently offer FASTPASS)
  • Splash Mountain
  • The Jungle Cruise

After selecting 2 from each list, the cast member will ask the guest what day they will be visiting the Magic Kingdom, if they are celebrating anything, and then give the guests some plastic yellow cards that says FASTPASS. These cards contain a small RFID-chip inside that contains some information based on what information was provided. Among that info will be reserved FASTPASS times on the 4 attractions selected from the list above. Guests are to be sent an email at a requested address with their final itinerary.

Picture-11-800x576.png

Here’s what the email guests are receiving looks like

Guests then take their cards to the Magic Kingdom and are invited to put them to good use. When you head over to a corresponding attraction at the proper time, you will be scanning your card at a temporary pole with a Mickey icon on it or at a PDA device also sporting the same Mickey icon (Town Square Theater is using this system and not the poles). When the card is scanned, the icon should turn green to enter. If you get a blue icon, you have done something wrong.

DSC01939-L.jpg

One of the readers installed at The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

At every location they have an iPad or a PDA that will tell them if you are too early, too late, or on-time when you swipe your card at the reader. Should you be wrong or need to check your schedule, they will refer you to one of 5 locations where you can currently do this. The 5 locations set-up to help guests throughout the park are City Hall, and kiosks near Jungle Cruise, Stitch’s Great Escape, Splash Mountain, and Mickey’s Philharmagic.

Another interesting factoid is that cast members will see all kinds of information about you when you scan your card at the reader. They can see your name and even if you are celebrating anything. You’ll recall rumors we’ve discussed of Disney using the same RFID technology in attractions to make them actually acknowledge your name or what you are celebrating that day. Yes, the future has arrived, but only for a short time. The test is scheduled to end May 15th.

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9312