I read on another site that Fastpass+ will be starting to test with the RFID wristbands during the first half of May. I was not sure if I was allowed to post the link to the story here or not. I am new to the rules of the road. If someone could let me know....I will post the link here if allowed. If someone already posted this somewhere else.....my apologies.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mo, do you have anything official on this?

I don't know where that web site got the bracelet idea, but I can guarantee you that a bracelet was never mentioned in Disney's announcement.

RFID tags have a finite range. KTTW, CM IDs, etc, usually require that the RFID tag embedded in the card be very close to the receiver. In some cases, they just about have to make contact. It's not l

Thanks for posting the link.

I think we have all heard that this was coming, but I didn't know that they were already at the point of testing it.

I am guessing that the full roll-out of this technology is still a ways off, but they want to test it out to see how things go as part of their planning.

I am interested in hearing how this all actually works and how the testing goes.

TCD

I am not a huge fan of the RFID being in a hospital/indoor waterpark type bracelet because I just can't stand wearing them. In a million years I would never attach a credit card number to a bracelet. At least with the cards you could keep them in a sleeve in your wallet to keep people from stealing your info. Everyone has their quirks and one of mine is NO BRACELETS. That being said, if I have to wear a bracelet to get my dole whip or turkey leg, I guess I will have to learn to live with it.

eating-turkey-leg.gif

This is too futuristic for me. Next thing you know they will be installing RFID readers throughout the parks to track us like the animals at AK. I'm beginning to think we are all exhibits in some intergalactic zoo. Maybe Walt was actually an alien and he created WDW not for our amusement, but for the entertainment of his species.

This is too futuristic for me. Next thing you know they will be installing RFID readers throughout the parks to track us like the animals at AK. I'm beginning to think we are all exhibits in some intergalactic zoo. Maybe Walt was actually an alien and he created WDW not for our amusement, but for the entertainment of his species.

Even though you are generally considered to be a nut-job, this post makes a lot of sense to me.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this new program is being rolled out right after I saw that robot running loose through the MK on my last trip.

This may just be another step in the robots' quest to take over.

The robots must be working with the aliens on this.

TCD

Mo, do you have anything official on this?

Sorry gang - was out playing in the woods this weekend and just getting caught up.

And yes, Lou - as it happens I do have some "straight from the horse's mouth" information on the upcoming FP testing in the works...

=========

The week of May 1-15, WDW will be selecting Guests to participate in a test of a new "FASTPASS itinerary" system based on preferences they will select (attractions and time frame) in the Magic Kingdom park.

Guests will be given a FP card to be used at select Magic Kingdom attractions. This card uses RF technology similar to that found in credit cards, bluetooth phones and WiFi.

The FP card will only be valid on the date selected and at the times and attractions noted on the itinerary.

The FP card is separate from a KTTW card and cannot be used for theme park admission.

Guests participating in the test will still be able to use the regular paper FP system.

There are currently no plans to start charging for FP (rumored by some)

Attractions that do not currently have a regular FP location may or may not be getting FP locations in future. Nothing official on that yet. The test will include attractions such as Haunted Mansion, which does not currently have a regular FP location.

In answer to many of the other commonly asked question, the standard answer is being given that Disney often tests systems/technologies as part of their ongoing innovation process to make the Guest experience better. Actual final configuration that is being tested may or may not end up in the parks.

=========

No mention was made of RFID bracelets. This rumor has been floated and speculated on for a long time now, ever since the changes to the FP system were mentioned, but has not yet been confirmed by Disney.

A couple more tidbits....

Disney says that they are not "tracking" Guests with these new FP cards (seriously, they addressed that concern).

They also say that while the technology being used is similar to the recent test at Epcot's main entrance, this test is focused particularly on making Fastpass "even better for everyone."

RFID tags have a finite range. KTTW, CM IDs, etc, usually require that the RFID tag embedded in the card be very close to the receiver. In some cases, they just about have to make contact.

It's not like you can be walking around the parks and they can track you.

RFID technology is able to do that but it would require expensive infrastructure.

What would be Disney's justification for spending all that money in order to do it.

RFID tags have a finite range. KTTW, CM IDs, etc, usually require that the RFID tag embedded in the card be very close to the receiver. In some cases, they just about have to make contact.

It's not like you can be walking around the parks and they can track you.

RFID technology is able to do that but it would require expensive infrastructure.

What would be Disney's justification for spending all that money in order to do it.

You thought I was serious. :raspberry2:

You thought I was serious.

No, I hardly ever take you seriously, but having worked with RFID technology in my engineering career, I did hear that concern.

RFID has been used for industrial purposes for along time, but until just a few years ago, it wasn't cost effective for other uses. And as I said, it is possible to track from longer distances, so it should be a concern, but not in the FP application.

We do need to be diligent on it's use.

No, I hardly ever take you seriously, but having worked with RFID technology in my engineering career, I did hear that concern.

RFID has been used for industrial purposes for along time, but until just a few years ago, it wasn't cost effective for other uses. And as I said, it is possible to track from longer distances, so it should be a concern, but not in the FP application.

We do need to be diligent on it's use.

:raspberry2:

Sorry gang - was out playing in the woods this weekend and just getting caught up.

And yes, Lou - as it happens I do have some "straight from the horse's mouth" information on the upcoming FP testing in the works...

=========

The week of May 1-15, WDW will be selecting Guests to participate in a test of a new "FASTPASS itinerary" system based on preferences they will select (attractions and time frame) in the Magic Kingdom park.

Guests will be given a FP card to be used at select Magic Kingdom attractions. This card uses RF technology similar to that found in credit cards, bluetooth phones and WiFi.

The FP card will only be valid on the date selected and at the times and attractions noted on the itinerary.

The FP card is separate from a KTTW card and cannot be used for theme park admission.

Guests participating in the test will still be able to use the regular paper FP system.

There are currently no plans to start charging for FP (rumored by some)

Attractions that do not currently have a regular FP location may or may not be getting FP locations in future. Nothing official on that yet. The test will include attractions such as Haunted Mansion, which does not currently have a regular FP location.

In answer to many of the other commonly asked question, the standard answer is being given that Disney often tests systems/technologies as part of their ongoing innovation process to make the Guest experience better. Actual final configuration that is being tested may or may not end up in the parks.

=========

No mention was made of RFID bracelets. This rumor has been floated and speculated on for a long time now, ever since the changes to the FP system were mentioned, but has not yet been confirmed by Disney.

Thanks for the updated info. I am glad they are not talking about a bracelet at this point and hope they keep it that way!