I was fortunate to be seated with a gentleman from Clean the World on a Disney Cruise. He explained how it works (what great win-win-win idea) and although it may give you the willies to think about, the process sterilizes the soap so it is safe to use:

To test the recycling process, Clean the World hired Tri-Tech Laboratories – a Florida State certified testing facility. TriTech provided infected soap that was run through the standard Clean the World recycling process. The treated soap was tested for sterilization levels. The result was the complete elimination of all the pathogens (Listeria monocytogenes, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aerogenes, Salmonella typhymurium, Staphylococcus aureus).

I assume that the process also removes Orlando tourist sweat.

The picture makes it look like Disney is giving unopened packages of their soap.

So are they really giving what the tourist doesn't open and use to this program or are they collecting though the garbage cans all the partial used soap that is thrown away?

The Clean the World Program is not a Disney program, they are just one of the many

Hospitality Recycling Partners that belong to the Clean the World Foundation.

I don't know if Disney donates any money, but I do know that it's one of the many Disney Volunteers programs where CMs can volunteer their off time locally to dozens of charities

And yes, they do collect used soap and shampoo.

Kalahari resorts has been working with clean the world for quite a while now also. A lot of hotel chains do and it seems like a terrific idea to help people while saving landfill space. I'd much rather be on the distributing end of that particular recycling project than the collecting/processing end though, that's for sure... :barf:

We use recycled products all the time these days. When you put a Diet Coke can up to your lips, the aluminum has likely been recycled and was previously on someone else's lips. Dishes, glasses and utensils in restaurants are simply washed and used by the next guest. When you get a drink of water, chances are pretty good that water includes some water that has been through a wastewater treatment process and put back into the environment. Recycling soap can't be any grosser than that, when you think about it. The point is that is has been sterilized and is safe to use.

Now if you want to get gross, let's talk about the buffet line at Chef Mickey's that little Jimmy or Suzie sneezed on or stuck their hands into. :rofl3:

Now if you want to get gross, let's talk about the buffet line at Chef Mickey's that little Jimmy or Suzie sneezed on or stuck their hands into. :rofl3:

Or little Sally (and, unfortunately, her name WAS Sally) uses the serving spoon to taste something on the line; doesn't like it and spits it back onto the spoon and puts the spoon back into the ... . Yes, I DID say something to the person working the line AND little Sally's parents.