New Steak and Pork Platter at Pecos Bill's, Magic Kingdom

Is it just me or does this sound like a terrible idea? From the Disney Food Blog...

Review: New Steak and Pork Platter at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Cafe

May 31st, 2012 by Kim.

Thanks to our Disney Food for Families columnist, Erin Foster, we have a review of a hearty new meal at Magic Kingdom’s Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe!

This Frontierland hot spot is still sporting their standard menu, which offers some great options like giant angus burgers, a barbecue pork sandwich, and a taco salad.

But there are a few new options that have been added for the summer season!

Pecos-menu2-461x625.jpg

Pecos Menu - click image for larger version

Now, for a whopping $14.49, you can kick up your heels with the brand new Steak and Pork Platter. It’s served with corn bread, and choice of corn on the cob (also new on the menu), apple slices, or fries.

Steak-and-Pork-Menu-440x625.jpg

Steak and Pork Menu item

According to Erin, Pecos had a great concept with this new dish. A filling meal without an Advance Dining Reservation! She dug right in, hoping this would be a new winning dish in the Magic Kingdom… Unfortunately, it fell short.

The pulled pork — it was absolutely the sweetest version of this that I’ve ever had, and sadly the corn bread was not cooked through. When trying the salad, the beans were mealy.

Beef-and-Pork-2-600x379.jpg

Beef and Pork Platter at Pecos

Even though she tried (really dug deep) to like this platter, it just didn’t measure up. The beef was overcooked. The Chimichurri sauce was good, but the garlic was overpowering.

Beef-Cross-Section-600x400.jpg

Beef Cross-Section

For the price of this platter at a counter-service restaurant, this meal really could have been better. Seems that for counter-service BBQ, Animal Kingdom’s Flame Tree Barbecue is still where it’s at.

We’d love to hear your review of this new dish if you’ve tried it. Let us know your thoughts!

Have you tried the Steak and Pork Platter? Tell us what you think in the comments section below.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/05/31/review-new-steak-and-pork-platter-at-pecos-bill-tall-tale-inn-cafe/#more-57800

I was ready to write this one off based on the linked review, but then we get an actual Fiend review from YC, and it seems like it might be worth a try. That's what I love about FF.net...there are now SO MANY Fiends that when something new is introduced at WDW we probably have a member there at that moment to give a first hand account!

That's what I love about FF.net...there are now SO MANY Fiends that when something new is introduced at WDW we probably have a member there at that moment to give a first hand account!

Agreed!!

Gotta say, when I first saw the picture of the steak all I could think of was when Friendly's started serving "steak" a few years ago and we tried it.

Most godawful piece of beef I've ever had in my life.

But then I went back and saw that they smothered this thing in chimichurri sauce and I remembered something we had at F&W last year.

6352561968_ec4b943227_b.jpg

It was in Argentina and was described as "Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Purée"

The beef itself was ok - sliced thin enough that it didn't matter it was cooked a lot more than I prefer. But the chimichurri sauce was fantastic. I'm pretty sure that you could dip verysmallrocks in it and they would be delicious.

So maybe the idea of fast food steak isn't so horrendous if you smother it in enough good sauce.

Hey, at least it's something new and I'm all for Disney updating some menus!

We had this in MK one night this week. I think it will be good, but they're still ironing out the kinks. Mine was fine. Not bad at all. Obviously the steak wasn't the highest quality, but I never expected it to be a Flying Fish steak (which I had last night). My friend also got it and his came out tough and overcooked. The bean salad tasted like they had forgotten to salt it that night, so I added salt and really liked it. The pork is sweet, but I enjoyed it. So yeah, I think it's a winning combination, it's just not quite "there" yet.

We were going to try this one, but my youngest took one look at the picture and decided he would rather eat at Columbia Harbor House instead. Which was strange because we all really like the evening buffet at Trails End.

• 11 months later...

We usually eat at Pecos but for the hamburger and all their fixins bar.  I always think the Taco Salad looks great but usually I'm tired & hot and usually just order a burger and something cold to drink. But by the end of the week everyone is looking for something besides a burger! LOL! So this could be a nice addition for someone. Its just that usually we eat here for their burgers!