Riding a pony at the Tri-Circle-D Farm at the Fort is one of our favorite activities.  My DD5 rides once on every trip.  Figured I'd put some pictures and information out there from our most recent visit to the Fort for those that are interested in this activity...one of the "simple pleasures" at the Fort. 

DSCF3814.jpg

Keep in mind, this information is only current as of late 2010/ early 2011.  Per information that has been widely reported by everyone but Disney itself, there are plans to move the barns, including the pony rides, from their location in the Settlement area of the Fort out to a "to be constructed" new barn area near the Outpost, near the current site of the horse trail rides and the former kennel location.  As of this writing, I don't think construction has begun yet, so whether or not this happens in the next year or two is still somewhat speculative. 

The pony rides are currently located in the Settlement area, within sight of the Settlement bus depot.

DSCF3812.jpg

For guests traveling from other resorts by bus (with the exception of Wilderness Lodge), you will change buses at the Outpost depot onto one of the Fort Wilderness internal buses.  Any color bus will take you to the Settlement, but the Yellow bus seems to be the quickest to me.  WL guests can take either a bus or boat directly to the FW Settlement area.  Guests from the CR or coming from the MK can also take a boat to the FW Marina, which is a short walk to the TCD Farm and the pony rides. 

This is what you'll be looking for as you approach the pony stables:

DSCF3815.jpg

DSCF3816.jpg

As of Oct 2010, pony rides were $5.  A pretty good deal by Disney standards!  This sign shows not only the price and hours, but also the height and weight requirements to ride a pony at Fort Wilderness.

DSCF3817.jpg

In the center of the riding area there is a small building where a few ponies are kept while they are "on duty", and this is where you pay and where your child will mount the pony, with the help of a raised platform. 

DSCF3818.jpg

DSCF3820.jpg

The CM will provide instructions, and then you will lead the pony around the pathway on your own. 

DSCF3822.jpg

We have never had another guest behind us on the path, so we've been able to go at our own pace to extend the ride a bit.  There is really no hurry as long as you aren't holding anyone up.  And you can't stray from the pathway, as you are always in an enclosed area as you can see in this picture. 

DSCF3825.jpg

After you arrive at the end, there is a second platform to dismount, and you are done.  All in all, the ride doesn't take very long, but it's a lot of fun! 

After the pony ride, be sure to check out the rest of the TCD Farm area, including the horse barn and the blacksmith shop. 

DSCF3830.jpg

DSCF3835.jpg

I hope your family enjoys this activity as much as mine does!  The TCD Farm area is just about my favorite spot in all of WDW.  If you haven't yet, be sure to check it out! 

Is there an age or height limit?  MyDD7 loves the pony rides, but will be 8 next time we are at the Fort.  She is a peanut and probably won't weigh 80 lbs until she is a teenager!

So, I should probably ask : what is the age/weight requirement for the trail ride?