A tip for those of you who know ahead of time that they won't have time to defrost: I have several large, deep, plastic bowls that can fit inside my crockpot (smaller diameter). When I start the freezing process with the ziplocs, I put the ziploc into the bowl and then in the freezer to shape the meal for the pot. I have had to "bust it up" in the past to get it in the pot. Once it's mostly frozen, I remove it from the bowl since it is no longer needed. It does take up a little more space in the freezer, but I don't like bringing my meat cleaver and small sledge hammer on camping trips.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I mentioned this on the "What's for Dinner?" thread and was encouraged to start a new thread. The other day, i was wasting time on Pinterest, as saw the idea of Crockpot freezer meals. The idea s

Don't forget Stef's buffalo chicken recipe. It's awesome!

After Marty's post on the Dinner thread earlier, I checked out some of her links and did some shopping. I now have three meals prepped...all in under an hour. We are having Teriyaki Chicken tomorrow

Almost forgot, one of my fav's is from Sam's Club. You know those giant flame roasted chickens that look like they're on steroids? $6 for almost 2 pounds of fresh cooked chicken is a pretty good deal in my book. I bring it home, chill it and the next morning, I strip that carcass clean and it easily fills one of those big ziplocs (more than half, at least). The skin and fat make excellent bait for those swimming critters in the FW canals, bluegills, sunfish, catfish and even turtles, unfortunately.

... When I start the freezing process with the ziplocs, I put the ziploc into the bowl and then in the freezer to shape the meal for the pot.

...You know those giant flame roasted chickens that look like they're on steroids?...I bring it home, chill it and the next morning, I strip that carcass clean and it easily fills one of those big ziplocs (more than half, at least).

Great tips!

Hey, pork loins are on sale at Publix this week. Any good ideas for pork recipes to freeze? I can't find any and I am trying to get some meals ready before school starts up again. Thanks in advance!

That sent me looking for my Publix circular. However, $4.99/lb is not enough of a sale for me. I only buy meat at $2.50/lb or less for boneless meat, $1.99/lb. for bone-in.

My pork recipes are so easy, i don't even do any advance prep. One easy one is to put the pork in the crockpot and pour a can of root beer over it. Cook on low. After about 6 hours, drain the root beer, fork shred the meat, and pour a bottle of BBQ sauce over it. Once that is heated through (1-2 hours), serve on rolls. Yummy!

The other recipe is for Carnitas.

2 pounds boneless pork-ribs, pork shoulder, or pork loin

2 teaspoons salt (freshly ground is best)

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons ground black pepper (freshly ground is best)

2 teaspoons cumin

1/2 large onion, cut into 4 pieces

Mix salt, oregano, pepper and cumin together and rub over pork. Place pork in slow cooker and scatter onions on top. Cook pork about 6 hours .

About 30 minutes before it is done, open slow cooker and use a fork to shred the pork. It should fall apart pretty easily. Let the shredded pork cook in the spice/juice sauce for last 30 minutes or so.

Serve with your favorite accompaniments: tortillas, avocado, cheese, cilantro, salsa, etc.

Quit showing off, Rita. :)) (I'm talking about all the meal preparation you've been doing!) I've had 3 additional teenage boys at my house since I got off work yesterday so I've not had time to go to Kroger to do my shopping for this. However, after feeding them for the last 31 hours, I have no money left in my grocery budget! :rofl3:

Quit showing off, Rita. :)) (I'm talking about all the meal preparation you've been doing!) I've had 3 additional teenage boys at my house since I got off work yesterday so I've not had time to go to Kroger to do my shopping for this. However, after feeding them for the last 31 hours, I have no money left in my grocery budget! :rofl3:

It's seriously moved into the realm of mental illness for me! I don't want to use them, I just like having them! You have to put those boys to work chopping veggies and bagging!

It's seriously moved into the realm of mental illness for me! I don't want to use them, I just like having them! You have to put those boys to work chopping veggies and bagging!

LOL...are you kidding me? They ate me out of house and home. I did NOT want to put another morsel in/near their hands!

I understand the mental illness thing. I have some serious OCD issues about some things that I would not dare share in fear I may lose y'all as friends. :rofl2:

LOL...are you kidding me? They ate me out of house and home. I did NOT want to put another morsel in/near their hands!

I understand the mental illness thing. I have some serious OCD issues about some things that I would not dare share in fear I may lose y'all as friends. :rofl2:

I remember those days. One of mine used to eat his cereal out of my big mixing bowl and that was just a snack!

Heck, if crazy scared Fiends away there wouldn't be but a couple left here!

It is increasingly difficult to find meat at those prices, at least around here. I can't believe how much prices have gone up.

I got boneless,skinless chicken breasts for $1.99 last week and ground beef for the same price at Food Lion yesterday. :D

I got boneless,skinless chicken breasts for $1.99 last week and ground beef for the same price at Food Lion yesterday. :D

It's tough to find those for less than 2.99 here. However, where we like to camp about an hour east of here, there is a store with great meat and good prices, so I stock up when we go there. Unfortunately, we haven't been there yet this summer so the freezer is lacking.

Today, I cooked the Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches. Weeks ago, I had prepped the peppers, pineapple and onion and frozen it with the chicken. Yesterday, i put the bag in the fridge and this morning, i dumped the bag contents in the crockpot. I served it with a choice of Hawaiian Bread Sandwich Rolls or Honey Wheat sandwich rolls.. The honey wheat did not come out as good as hoped. The hawaiian bread was very good. I did buy provolone cheese for the sandwiches, which was $8.99 per pound! Yikes, I hope these kids appreciate me. :lol:

Anyway, we did enjoy the sandwiches and i will make this recipe again.

We had corn on the cob and potato chips on the side, and no dessert because I am a mean old mom. :D