Bald Ridge on Lake Lanier.... Cumming, GA

I’ve been doing a lot of camping this summer. Too bad it hasn’t been at the Fort. But after the tick conversation, maybe I’m lucky it hasn’t been.

Anyway, these are pictures of Bald Ridge Campground on Lake Lanier. It’s a close trip for us, and our boat is there. We stayed for 3 nights. It had been awhile since we’ve been there. I used to think it was the nicest campground on Lanier, but after seeing the redone section of Shady Grove, I’ve changed my mind. It’s still a good spot, but mostly because of the lake. The bathrooms are clean, but old. The sites are pretty big and consist of a paved drive for an RV plus a large sand/gravel tent pad with fire ring and big picnic table.

Here’s our site… #9

c4cda158.jpg

The view from our pad, nice to be able to beach our boat there

c3c9e5e6.jpg

Beach area… you can see the lake is down about 6 feet or so.

d7ecc307.jpg

Playground

87bd59dd.jpg

Here is a view of some of the campsites from the water.

68e1ac92.jpg

Here are some sites that I liked. The first one is for all the Airstream fans….

3c3e9a83.jpg

3043bbec.jpg

40f814e9.jpg

811a7b10.jpg

That looks great Kelly!

Do the sites have enough room for a boat/trailer or do they have separate area for them?

Do they have a ramp in the campground for launching the boat?

They do have a ramp, but I didn't actually head over there. Based on my map, it looks like they don't have parking at the ramp, and that's odd because I've never seen a ramp on Lanier without parking, even in a campground.

That said, parking at the site depends on what you're camping with and how big your trailer would be. A tent, I'd say you're good at almost all. An RV, it just depends. We saw a lot of boat trailers at sites, and that makes sense if they don't have parking. They're really nice if you call and explain what you need in a site. This is the website to reserve (and it has a map), but when you call, they know the sites (There are less than 100). I've had great luck at various Lanier campgrounds just telling them what we needed.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/map_of_Bald_Ridge_Creek/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=71016&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

We were in a handicap site because we booked at the last minute and it was all that was left. (Site 9) Now, according to the map, that site is 42 feet long, but we had our 35 ft motorhome, a Jeep, and a full size SUV in the space at one point, and we didn't even have the Jeep pulled up all the way. There was also extra parking across from our site, so we could have fit our trailer easy. Site 8 next to us is listed a little bigger, and they had a semi-style class C and a ski boat trailer with the truck attached with no problem. Some of the sites say they are 70 feet or more.

I've started a record on my computer of campground maps with my fav sites circled, so PM me if you decide to go, and I can suggest some.

That looks nice! We love to go to Georgia to camp too.....about where is this located? Near Gainesville or the NE side of GA? I know Lanier is big and my hubby's family lives in the NE part so we like to camp close to them. Were heading to Tallulah Gorge in October - hopefully see some leaves but would love to check these places out while we are there!

Stef- Come on over!

Solamom- Gainesville is about 20-30 minutes by land from this. By water, it depends on the boat, but probably about the same. This campground is around the SW part of the lake, but Gainesville (GA) is about in the middle of the lake on the eastern side. It's not far, but I'm camping at a place closer to Gainesville in a couple weeks.

• 1 year later...

Thanks :)   Funny... we've lived in Atlanta for 11 years and have only been to Lake Lanier one time.   Another fiend posted about Sawnee Campground on Lake Lanier.  Her pics showed these really neat walk down private "patio" areas that overlook the lake (if I understood correctly, your camping spot had it's own patio area).  We are looking for a campground that has:

1) nice views

2) nice playground for our kiddos (7 and 2.5)

3) nice showers

Lake Lanier seems to have several options... any suggestion on which campground would be best for our family?

Our 2 favorite are Shady Grove (it has the best playground) and Bald Ridge (most campsites with good views).

If you do Shady Grove, choose the newer section. At this point in the summer, it's probably your best bet be candid they only take reservations 30 days in advance.

There are so many good campgrounds though! We've liked them all. We've never stayed at Sawnee because most of the sites are smaller.