Dancing in Style---a Polynesian trip report, June 24-30, 2012

Another great update!

You should never worry about yelling at someone you recognize as a fiend. I found TCD in DHS walking through a crowd and I recognized him. I ran up and said "HEY, I know you!" He may have been frightened, but he hid it well. (and I've loved him ever since ^-^ )

If you ever see me, you'd better say something, or hope I don't see you first!

You got some great firework shots too!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope it’s ok for a new fiend to post a TR! I apologize in advance to those who are not fans of photos. I take photos. A lot of photos. And though I’m usually nervous about sharing them, because I

Why are you still up Steve?

If I had read your TR, I would have said, nice job, but I didn't, so I won't. Just as general information, the 3 o'clock parade does kick off at 3, however, performance groups are not in the actual Ma

Don't back down now. Tell him your true feelings....monorails ROCK! :rofl3:

They really did rock on this trip, lol! I had far fewer transportation nightmares this time compared to usual.

Here is the final installment. I almost hate to post it, because then I'll feel like the trip is officially over (even though we've been home for 2 weeks already!) All good things must come to an end, I suppose.

On Friday morning, we had one last breakfast at CC’s, came back to our room and found these visitors outside our door!

DSC_2783.jpg

The ducks pretty much rule the outdoor seating area at CC’s, but this was the first time we’d seen them near our room. Not that we spent much time there on this trip!

We finally packed up and piled everything into the car. It was incredibly hot, so we decided, for our last hurrah, to experience one more first and head to Typhoon Lagoon.

DSC_2787.jpg

It probably goes without saying that water parks during sunny hot days are different from water parks during rainy days. We were in the overflow parking lot. Lines were long. We were already exhausted. I had learned my lesson earlier and traveled lighter this time. Even with thick sunscreen, the Florida sun was burning us, so we didn’t stay long. The family raft ride at TL had a very long wait, and was then an unbelievably short ride….the BB one was so much better. The wave pool with the typhoon…..O.M.G. I so wish I had watched that happen first, before being in it. I mentioned before that I am not a water person. That scared the bejeezus out of me! DH and dd did some of the slides, and then we got changed to head for home, as in MI. Before leaving, we had one last first…..donuts at TL with chocolate dipping sauce! Yum!

Our timing was weird on the way home. When we hit our Holiday Inn Express in McDonough, we wanted to log some more hours before stopping for the night, so we drove some more, stopped at a Baymont motel in northern GA and thought, ‘how bad can it be?’ The answer is…..really, really bad. The upside is it reminded me why we started camping in the first place….to avoid places like that! The drive home seemed interminable. We stopped in KY on Saturday for a short food break, and it was a balmy 105 degrees. We stopped at a Culver’s in OH for lunch/dinner, and finally made it home around 8:30pm. Our dogs were mildly glad to see us.

It took us several days (honestly, a week) to recover from this trip! When I look back through this TR, I realize the sum total of time we spent relaxing during the week was exactly….zero. There was no true down time at all. I had anticipated that going in, but the full impact of it was greater than I’d imagined. I had hoped to make it over to the Fort while we were there, but my intentions were obviously greater than my spare time. The closest I got was buying a Fort Wilderness pin at the Poly gift shop!

Our next WDW trip will definitely be a Fort trip….goal, November 2013!

Thanks for reading and sharing our experience and for all of your kind comments…..it was a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us in many ways, and I feel incredibly fortunate that we were able to have it. it’s certainly one we will never forget!

Great report! It's been years (11 actually) since we've stayed at a hotel at Disney, and it sure does have a different feel than the Fort. Sound like the Poly worked out great for you, but there sure is nothing like some relaxing Fort time.

Of course, you had tonga toast, Dole whip and sticky wings at your fingertips....

If I had read your TR, I would have said, nice job, but I didn't, so I won't.

Just as general information, the 3 o'clock parade does kick off at 3, however, performance groups are not in the actual Main St. parade, they're in the pre-parade which depending on how many groups are performing will determine their start time.

So moms and dads, find out ahead of time how much earlier your rugrats will be marching down Main Street before the actual parade.

As for WDW buses, how many times have I told you people, stay off the damn buses, someone's not paying attention.

WDW Transportation does not change regular scheduling of buses just because there is a huge group waiting at a resort except at opening time.

Enjoyed the report! Don't be sad that it's over, be happy that it happened, and you got pics to prove it.

Thanks for sharing and tell your daughter to DANCE ON!! dance-4.gif

Great report! It's been years (11 actually) since we've stayed at a hotel at Disney, and it sure does have a different feel than the Fort. Sound like the Poly worked out great for you, but there sure is nothing like some relaxing Fort time.

You can say that again. In the last 26 years we've only stayed at a Disney hotel once (POR) and were absolutely miserable there. Nothing like the fort!

In a fit of insanity, we may be revising our next Fort visit to......................this November, 2012, instead of 2013! Not absolutely sure yet, but sitting here with the calendar and calculator trying to figure it out.

First part? Say yes, I will be there till the 5th!

Say yes! We'll be there til the 7th!

• 4 weeks later...

So neat....I love it! Those pix don't look like they were taken from a moving monorail, Dave (or you have much steadier hands than I do!) I didn't even notice the stairs as we whizzed by. It makes the EWP feel more intentional, seeing the setup (vs. it magically appearing out of nowhere, lol!) So are there people on the barges when it comes out, I wonder? And will I get into huge trouble if I try to make my way over to the staging area for a closer look in person, I wonder? I really want to see it up close now!