Wig wams, baseball bats, and stingrays - Road Trip!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear about your pup :hugs2:

While I'm not a huge baseball fan, the museum looks really cool. I love to see everyone's adventures no matter how big or small!

Great update!

I know the feelings you are going through over the loss of your boxer. We are now on our third, and I swore there wouldn't be a second or third. They are great dogs, and the sense of loss is awful.

68902aff.jpg

That is my favorite photo so far!

Nice update, but did you have to include that photo of the Rays banner in front of the Red Sox banner?

I had to skip over the sad part. I don't handle stuff like that well at all.

Poor Lou. It's been that way all season (Rays in front of the Red Sox). Deal.

TCD

sweet... update. glad you are doing better!

Thanks!

Nice update, but did you have to include that photo of the Rays banner in front of the Red Sox banner?

I had to skip over the sad part. I don't handle stuff like that well at all.

No worries, Lou. I normally avoid the sad threads for very similar reasons.

I did not even notice the Rays in front! Let me see if I have a different angle for you...

I can't believe I have missed this report up to now. Not sure where I've been. But I'm enjoying it very much.

I have driven past those wigwams a couple of times. Very cool that you stayed there! We've camped in Cave City several times at the Jellystone. We have actually shopped at that IGA! I love those old stores. (For those of you attending the Defeated Creek GG...there is an awesome old grocery store in Carthage).

Finally, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It sure stinks to lose one of our fur babies.

Thanks, Dave. I'm glad you are here and enjoying it! That is cool that you've been there! I guess being so close, it is not surprising. If you ever go again, stay in a wigwam. They are way less scary on the inside than when you pull up and go "Well, alrighty then..."

Glad to see the update. Sorry to hear about your loss it is never easy to lose a pet. My friend and I took our sons to Kentucky one year. We ended up in a DRY county so we took a road trip to find Crown Royal! I don't think we had a clue where we were going and ended up in Louisville. We saw the museum, but didn't stop! Thanks for sharing what we missed out on!

Thanks Rita. What is up with dry counties? Don't get me wrong, we encountered them in Arkansas a-plenty. But, I guess since I'm from there we knew where they all were. Luckily, I was prepared with a 12 pack of beer in the car!

Yep, Cave City is dry, so it's either run down to Bowling Green, or up to Louisville. Bowling Green is closer!!!

Bowling Green did look pretty close. Anything cool to see there?

So sorry to hear about your pup

While I'm not a huge baseball fan, the museum looks really cool. I love to see everyone's adventures no matter how big or small!

Thanks! And I'm glad you said no matter big or small! This is just a series of small ones, but they were fun!

Sorry to hear about your dog. Great update and nice pictures of the museum. It looks like it was a good time.

Thank you. I wish some of my pictures had a better quality, but I use this old Samsung point-and-shoot that I probably paid $80 for 10 years ago. Not too bad - but really should upgrade!

Great update!

I know the feelings you are going through over the loss of your boxer. We are now on our third, and I swore there wouldn't be a second or third. They are great dogs, and the sense of loss is awful.

That is my favorite photo so far!

Poor Lou. It's been that way all season (Rays in front of the Red Sox). Deal.

TCD

Thanks. We are saying our next dog will be smaller. But, I wouldn't be surprised if we got another boxer.

I like that photo, too. Especially with the museum banner in the background and they both look so serious. Good Daddy-Daughter shot!

Great Update. I definitely need to go take that tour!

Seeing the All-Star Game bats being made would have been pretty cool!

It was pretty cool. They even had carts and shelves labeled with which players they were for. They went into detail about what certain players perfer over others, but I forgot a lot of that. Something about so-many grains per inch? Geez, you would think I would have learned more! But, I was concentrating on keeping DD occupied and interested for a lot of it so DH could actually pay attention.

Alright guys - getting ready to take you to the St. Louis Zoo - be back in a bit! I will tell you, this was the highlight of the trip.

We made the 4 ½ hour trip to my sister-in-law’s house and unloaded to prepare for our weeklong family visit. They are a great group! They have four children and a huge house with a pool and more toys than you can imagine. Total vacation nirvana for a 4yo only child.

The morning after our arrival, we snagged one of the kids and headed off to the zoo!

Welcome to the St. Louis Zoo.

1458ec46.jpg

e4cf8f78.jpg

I will preface this by saying that we have been to several good zoos. Columbus, Memphis, DC, Animal Kingdom (sort of a zoo) and the St. Louis Zoo was right up there as the best. It was clean and extremely well-manicured. The presentation of the park was very Disney-ish, and everyone working there had very positive, helpful, chipper attitudes.

We bought the Safari Pass for $10 pp. That included a whole list of “extra” activities, and the kids had already mentioned wanted to do a few of them. So, we got our wristbands and off we went.

4d442516.jpg

821b99e1.jpg

1a5b3381.jpg

Time to take an ice cream break and decide where to go next!

2d3a3317.jpg

It was one of those crazy hot days (I think the high for the day was 103), so I took a page from planning Disney trips and said “Get there early!” So we got there at 9:00 and the temp wasn’t too bad. There is a TON of shade there, and in the sunnier areas they had strategically placed huge misters.

The new sea lion exhibit just opened – it was packed inside so we watched from afar.

4808ae34.jpg

f0e7d00d.jpg

The kids were ready to get their hands on some stingrays, so we headed that way. Here are some random shots on the way.

22c62e53.jpg

4925edf3.jpg

Here we are!

bb684f3b.jpg

3d7c7836.jpg

a34dd987.jpg

There were also a couple of nurse sharks, and both were too chicken to pet it. You actually had to put your hand in the water and let the nurse shark come to you. Sorry, no pics of that. I had nephew’s camera too because he wanted me to take pics of him petting the stingrays. So sweet :heart:

This is one of the things that costs extra if you don’t have the wristband.

Next up we find some bears and DD takes her turn with the camera. See if you can tell which pics are hers…

0414fb11.jpg

7394d037.jpg

4930c29c.jpg

24f0fe58.jpg

I really did not get tons of pictures of all the animals – they have a LOT of cool animals at this zoo. And they were all out and about, too!

The penguin habitat is indoors and was FREEZING! Going from 95 degrees to seeing your breath is quite a shock to the system! Especially when you're sweating...

eb6e6624.jpg

Back outside, we encounter some warm-weather penguins, I guess. They don’t live in the meat locker. :rofl2: DD took all these – she did a good job.

2336c451.jpg

29191637.jpg

5c27a261.jpg

Now, you know if there is a ride, DD is going to find it! This was also another wristband activity.

1dc4bf60.jpg

Fun with one of her favorite cousins!! (She has 18 cousins altogether…and this one trip she got to see 6!)

25692d1c.jpg

Untitled.jpg

By this time, it’s about 12:30. The crowd is getting larger very quickly and the temperature is getting closer to 100. We decide to go downtown and get some lunch. My original plan was to eat at Crown Candy Kitchen (Has anyone ever eaten there?), but the line was around the block since we got there right at 1:00. So, we asked the GPS for the nearest McDonald’s.

DD took some pictures of our travels. She was actually trying to get pictures of the airplanes – they were doing air shows over the river right near the arch. They always have a big July 4th to-do there.

80be9428.jpg

c0e24f28.jpg

1ac7f031.jpg

Nephew actually managed to get a few pics of it. Conveniently, we sat in a McDonald’s near there where we could watch the planes out the window while we ate.

And that’s about all we did. That afternoon, the kids watched a movie then got in the pool until we had to drag them out at bedtime. Hope you enjoyed our little mini-road trip! Not a bad 48 hours to kick off our family time!

I LOL at you saying the zoo was Disney-ish, followed by you bought a pass for $10. You can't hardly eat lunch at Disney for $10! :rofl2:

Great pic of the little ones holding hands.

Great update!

That zoo does look nice. I am surprised by how much marine life they have in a zoo so far from the ocean.

Thanks for posting this- I really enjoy getting to see other parts of our great country.

TCD

They did have a lot of marine life - and other animals too. I didn't get pictures of a fraction of what we saw. It was funny, I always wonder about how animals cope and adapt to the climate their zoo is in. We were passing the elephants and I made a comment about how well they seemed to deal with the heat. DH said "Yeah, cause you know, there's no heat in Africa..." :smartass:

I LOL at you saying the zoo was Disney-ish, followed by you bought a pass for $10. You can't hardly eat lunch at Disney for $10! :rofl2:

Great pic of the little ones holding hands.

Thanks - I like that pic too! Yeah, LOL, I guess I should say it appeared Disney-ish. It was so cheap to get in!

Great update.

Thanks for sharing!

No problem! Thanks for joining in!

Nice update! Have been to STL several times but never hit the zoo. But I do find my way to Anheuser Busch.

We have done the brewery tour too! Love that tasting room at the end... :beer:

Yeah, the Corvette Museum and the GM Corvette Factory tour!! Really cool!!

Very cool! We might have to make that our stopover on our next trip out there! Thanks!