Wig wams, baseball bats, and stingrays - Road Trip!

What can I say? Hot slide=hot buns followed by a run through the mister? Thanks for the update, I'll be here waiting for more! :)

Yes, her buns definitely got cooled off! She was so funny, desperately trying to slide down that thing.

I am in. My wife would have totally made me pull the car over and try to get a room if we were driving by.

Yay! And yes, you would def have to pull over and try to get one!

Looking forward to the next update. :)

Coming right up!

I'm sure money is tight, but I bet if they upped the amenities they would get more business.

I agree. My stepmom (who is one of those crafty-makes everything perfect-Martha Stewart types, but on a KMart budget) was FULL of ideas for making it better. "They could really get some curtains with some ricrac along the bottom to tie in the zig zag in the tile" "You know you can get new wooden picnic tables at Lowe's for $60" "Horseshoes could go over there..." She was all over it!

OK next time pack the waxpaper (for the slide) won't cool slide but boy will make ride down quicker. But NO BARE SKIN on slide!!

The mister set up is cool.. and cooling :)

:rofl2: Yes, she was trying to hold her legs up and slide on her dress!

as long as there are no boats I am in, great TR great pictures :)

Thanks! And no boats - I promise!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty, let's try this again...

So, off we go into little Cave City to see what there is to do. Cave City is very small and very old. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the downtown. It is pretty cute and only covers 1 1/2 blocks. However, there are only like 4 businesses and none of them were open.

We did stumble on this little city park and it was very shady and had swings - DD loves swings!

926e6557.jpg

6cb8b5b3.jpg

It was also extremely close to the railroad tracks. We also saw these - and we love historical markers!

2d5a5c32.jpg

bf23d81e.jpg

9a43f696.jpg

We had a nice time at the little park. DH and I sat on a picnic table and talked while DD enjoyed the swings. DH even carved our names in the picnic table. :heart: We weren't the first ones, though. Trust me. It was really lovely, just relaxing together and not rushing off to do anything or be anywhere. It was a great first day to our vacation.

Across the street from the park was a cool old-school IGA store. Maybe I'm silly, but we don't have these where we live anymore. DH and I both have fond memories of these as a child. We all remember the 70s right? My mom used to smoke her cigarettes while grocery shopping in a store just like this. And nobody cared. Hilarious!

9d409fc6.jpg

Sorry that is the only shot I got of it. DH really got a kick out of it. He walked in and said "Yep. Smells like cigarettes and bologna. Takes me back..." :rofl2: He went in to get some lemonade. And yes, that is my pink VB wallet under his arm. He ain't skeered. :rofl2:

About this time, my stepmom, brother, sis-in-law, and 2 nephews had arrived at the wig wam village! :jumpforjoy We all met up and compared wig wam decor and ideas for fixing up the place. The kids played on the monkey bars - my DNs are so sweet and are really great about playing with DD even though she's younger. They are 7 and 9. I won't post any pictures because I'm not sure how DBro feels about that.

We had discovered on our drive through Cave City that there was a pretty decent exit off the interstate about 2 miles away. And what do they have at almost every exit on every interstate? Cracker Barrel!

Ok, this one only has the back of DN's head...

e291967c.jpg

Her first time getting to sit "at the kids table"

11b0538d.jpg

We head back over the wig wams and let the kids play some more while we enjoyed some frosty beverages from our cooler. Right about dark, we walked to Dairy Queen to get the kids an ice cream (sorry no pics of the kiddie cones). After that we all went to bed.

Here are some final wig wam pictures (I know you guys like pictures)

b0f83da7.jpg

04c3e9f8.jpg

These are all from the following morning when we left. It was a nice morning!

View from looking outside our door:

ee4bf700.jpg

ee713a8b.jpg

ebba8273.jpg

That's all for the wig wams. When we left here, we all drove up to Louisville to see the Louisville Slugger museum! My nephews were particularly excited about that.

Great updates!

Cigarettes and bologna... I do remember those days, vaguely of course, since I'm young. :rofl2:

I'm glad your daughter found some nicer swings. But who in the world would give their child a middle name of Dickey?

Great family shot in front of the wigwam. Who else has one of those?

Love the IGA. We lost our IGA here in the 90's. My Granddaddy who was in his 90's went to the IGA every day. I think when it closed it just kind of took his purpose away and he started to decline. I know it sounds crazy because he was 92, but I really think it had that much impact for him.

Our IGA had everything! hushpuppies shoes, underwear, pots and pans you name it! "Charge it to Grandma" was heard frequently in our hometown IGA!

Thanks for bringing those memories back for me! :)

Ready to see where we're going now!

If I am ever in Kentucky, I am going to look for the Wig Wams. That death trap playground has some of the same equipment I remember fondly from my childhood. Playgrounds used to be a lot more fun than they are now. And, for the record, the worst injury I ever suffered from one was two broken arms- so death trap is a bit of a misnomer.

I love those historical markers. You know you are in the middle of nowhere where there is a historical marker celebrating the fact that some guy stole and burned a train.

TCD

Great updates!

Cigarettes and bologna... I do remember those days, vaguely of course, since I'm young. :rofl2:

I'm glad your daughter found some nicer swings. But who in the world would give their child a middle name of Dickey?

Great family shot in front of the wigwam. Who else has one of those?

I know, the name was funny to us too! We are definitely framing a copy of the wigwam picture.

Love the IGA. We lost our IGA here in the 90's. My Granddaddy who was in his 90's went to the IGA every day. I think when it closed it just kind of took his purpose away and he started to decline. I know it sounds crazy because he was 92, but I really think it had that much impact for him.

Our IGA had everything! hushpuppies shoes, underwear, pots and pans you name it! "Charge it to Grandma" was heard frequently in our hometown IGA!

Thanks for bringing those memories back for me! :)

Ready to see where we're going now!

I remember charging at ours too! There was even a gas pump at ours, and in high school I would often fill up and "Charge it to my dad". They kept up with everyone's accounts on a index cards. Every month, he would go up and pay his account.

If I am ever in Kentucky, I am going to look for the Wig Wams. That death trap playground has some of the same equipment I remember fondly from my childhood. Playgrounds used to be a lot more fun than they are now. And, for the record, the worst injury I ever suffered from one was two broken arms- so death trap is a bit of a misnomer.

I love those historical markers. You know you are in the middle of nowhere where there is a historical marker celebrating the fact that some guy stole and burned a train.

TCD

I am a huge fan of historical markers, too - so I was so excited to see those! We laughed pretty hard.

Sorry to call them a death trap - I guess I should call them arm traps! :rofl2:

Late to the party...but all caught up. Love the wig wams but can't wait for the Louisville Slugger Museum.

We are headed there tonight! Getting ready to update.

Oh, that is terrible.

I am so sorry.

Take your time.

TCD

Thanks. I definitely needed some time to pull myself together.

I'm so sorry, Beth. I know how hard that is. :bighug:

I feel the hug!!! Thank you!

I am very sorry for your loss.

Thanks Aaron. He was a good boy.

So sorry to hear this. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thank you! I feel the love!

Thanks again for the warm wishes and thoughts. He was such a good boy and we enjoyed him so much. He had started to show his age the last 6 months, but the end came really fast. I still stop to look out the back window to check on him, look for him when I get out of bed, and expect him to greet me when I get home. Just gotta get used to being without him.

Having said that, I am going to get on an update here tonight and give you guys the down-low on the Louisville Slugger Museum. I glanced at some threads I wanted to follow and I'm pretty sure there is no way I am going to get caught up in TCD's report! See you guys in a bit.

So, we make the hour or so drive up to Louisville. I have never been to Louisville, and the museum just seemed a natural part of Americana to add to my little Americana trip!

Our drive in - and these pictures were shot from a moving car, so... yeah

505cd28a.jpg

517b324a.jpg

bd560115.jpg

And here we are!!!

4cda3f52.jpg

We can't even get across the street from the parking garage without something like this popping up...

a9425e64.jpg

Nothing to do with LSM, but another museum across the street.

I thought this was funny

0a9d3901.jpg

a65debc3.jpg

Once inside...

a0370db8.jpg

Now there is a museum that you can go to for free. Then, there is a factory tour that you can pay for. I honestly don't remember how much the tour was because my stepmom bought us all tickets. :heart: She's so sweet and was so looking forward to all this fun time with the grands!

Here are some photos from the museum part.

4f9514c7.jpg

900af2bc.jpg

There were educational displays:

2f6b0859.jpg

And just cool stuff:

64872cb6.jpg

5626ed2a.jpg

4a480e0d.jpg

You could push a button here and throw a fastball - it would then tell you how fast it went. There was also another button where you could try and hit it back. Only one person we saw actually got it right and it scared the crap out of everyone when it came back and hit the plexiglass :rofl2:

14826818.jpg

Yes, we are Cardinals fans! These are World Series bats. They labeled which players used each one.

0bd6cdde.jpg

137c5440.jpg

DD got to swing Cal Ripken Jr's bat. They make you wear gloves and have someone standing there who is very particular about what you can and cannot do with the bat. They are the actual bats the players used. There were about 5 players to choose from - DD didn't know any of them so she just pointed.

722addec.jpg

68902aff.jpg

3c08ac5a.jpg

Another area, there were some wax figures and quotes:

88d2c891.jpg

dfa8fe3b.jpg

We had plenty of time to explore the museum before our tour. They do not allow any cameras on the tour - sorry! They were making all-star bats that day, so that was cool. They show you how the bats are made all the way from "We cut down these trees" Of course it was much more professional than that. :rofl2: The tour only lasts about 30 min, so if you have squirmy 4 yo with you, they can make it just fine. :heart: And they give you a mini-bat when the tour is over.

There are other activities you can do there - like a batting cage - that my family stayed to do, but we headed on out.

That is about all we did there. Did some shopping in the gift shop (of course) and hit the road for St. Louis! I had packed some food in the car, so we didn't even have to stop for lunch. I am a road-trippin' food packer. I made homemade snack mix, cut up a bunch of fruit, and also cubed some ham and cheese to eat with crackers. Between that and the variety of chips and candy, we were set!!!

I can't believe I have missed this report up to now. Not sure where I've been. But I'm enjoying it very much.

I have driven past those wigwams a couple of times. Very cool that you stayed there! We've camped in Cave City several times at the Jellystone. We have actually shopped at that IGA! I love those old stores. (For those of you attending the Defeated Creek GG...there is an awesome old grocery store in Carthage).

Finally, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It sure stinks to lose one of our fur babies.

Glad to see the update. Sorry to hear about your loss it is never easy to lose a pet. My friend and I took our sons to Kentucky one year. We ended up in a DRY county so we took a road trip to find Crown Royal! I don't think we had a clue where we were going and ended up in Louisville. We saw the museum, but didn't stop! Thanks for sharing what we missed out on!