Purchased today:

5 yards of red fabric with large white polka dots (though I should only need 4)

1 atomic red zipper and matching thread

1 dress pattern

Goal:

1 gorgeous Minnie Mouse dress for dd for Halloween!

I've already purchased the gloves, Minnie ears headband, and yellow shoes.

Any tips for someone who sews curtains and tote bags but shies away from anything that has to be a very specific size, lol! I think I'm going to sew a size 6, but I'm worried with dd's height (5'7") it might be short on her....maybe I should plan to cut it a bit longer than the pattern says? I am very scared to tackle this project!

How about practicing on some cheap clearance fabric to get a feel for the sizing? Keep in mind...I don't sew. But I'm married to a very talented one!

Not a bad idea! The dress dress pattern is very cute and versatile, so maybe I'll try one in fun, cheap fabric in the bigger size and see how it fits. I can always make it smaller if I need to.

I'm not good at making clothes to fit, either. I don't think pattern sizes and off-the-rack sizes are equal. Check the measurements on the pattern envelope. Good luck!

Yeah, anything I try to make to a certain size comes out a couple of inches too small....not a big deal with curtains, but a deal-breaker with a dress, lol! I will double check measurements for sure and probably leave myself a little extra just to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Step 1, cutting out the bazillion pieces required to make this "easy" dress, is complete. I thought there'd be like 3 pieces.....there were significantly more. Step 2 is going to involve a hot shower, because after 3 hours sitting on the hardwood floor completing Step 1, my back is wrecked. At this point, I bow down to anyone who charges less than $1000 for a handmade dress, because that's how much you'd have to pay me to do this again....and I haven't even started sewing yet!

Step 1, cutting out the bazillion pieces required to make this "easy" dress, is complete. I thought there'd be like 3 pieces.....there were significantly more. Step 2 is going to involve a hot shower, because after 3 hours sitting on the hardwood floor completing Step 1, my back is wrecked. At this point, I bow down to anyone who charges less than $1000 for a handmade dress, because that's how much you'd have to pay me to do this again....and I haven't even started sewing yet!

agreed, I recently started learning to sew, I made some curtains and a (yes singular) valance and loaded the sewing maching into the storage closet... holy cow who knew sewing was so involved.. lol

agreed, I recently started learning to sew, I made some curtains and a (yes singular) valance and loaded the sewing maching into the storage closet... holy cow who knew sewing was so involved.. lol

I know! I go through this with every project.....as soon as I'm done, I say, never again! And then somehow I forget and tackle something new. I think curtains are a "never again" for me though.....too many long straight seams, and I don't do straight all that well!

Cutting out the pieces is the worst part. Everything else should be more stress free!

You're right. It was the same way with the cushion covers I made for the dinette in the camper....I wanted to ditch the project after cutting out the pieces, but the actual sewing was much better. The dress has me stressed though. The cushion covers came out a bit too big, but I'm adding some wrap to the cushions to take up the extra space. If the dress is too big, i don't think dd will let me wrap batting around her to make it fit, lol!

• 3 weeks later...

It's done.....one Minnie Mouse dress, complete! I had psyched myself out so badly over this dress, and while it was a challenge, it wasn't brain surgery or anything like that ;)

I managed to successfully put in my first zipper, make my first pleats, and put in my first lining. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. It's such a cute everyday style that she can probably wear it with a white sweater during other times of the year, too.

And the sizing....wow, so weird....pattern sizing really is nothing like regular clothes sizing! I ended up making it a size 12, and while it's a tad big, a 10 would have been too small.....it's 5-6 sizes larger than her regular clothing size!

Here she is in all her Minnie Mouse glory!

DSC_2956edit2.jpg

Very cute!

Thanks, Cherie!

Nice job!

Thanks, Dave!

Pleats, zipper, facings, hem... Very nice! Congratulations!

Thanks, Judy! I'm still in awe of the fact that I managed the zipper, lol!

WOW......great job. Beautiful outfit for a beautiful girl. ::) :waycool:

Thanks, Judy!

Congrats! It looks great!

Thank you!

Cute!

Thanks, Kelly!

Beautiful!

Thanks, Gwen!

I am no expert on MInnie Mouse dresses, but this one looks pretty good, and your DD seems to like it.

So, I give you a great big thumbs up on this project.

Way to go!

TCD

Thanks, TCD! When I handed it to her all finished, she kept repeating, "I can't believe you actually made a dress!"

Awesome job! Pleats are a pain, you have my utmost respect there!

Pattern sizes are dramatically different. But the good thing is, if you're not a cookie cutter size you can custom fit your clothes.

Thanks! The pleats *were* a pain....they turned out to be the most time-consuming step.

Love it!!

Thanks, Yvonne!