Am I right in thinking that the only pet loops are Full sites? We were planning on leaving our Lab-mutt George home with my mom when we come down in January, so I reserved a partial. We'll have 2 tents, a screen house and/or an easy up on the site. If for some reason (drama) my mom decides to not grand-dog sit for us, we will have to change the ressie to a Full won't we? We stayed in loop 1700 this past January in Donnie's 5er and the coquina pad was kinda small, like maybe the size of OUR tent, how would I put up the rest of what we need for the week on concrete? Not to mention if George comes along, we'll have to have him boarded (daycare) at Best Friends for the days we go to the park and bike riding is pretty much out of the question too. But I would feel EXTREMELY guilty about bringing him all the way to FL and then boarding him all week. :gaah:

Ok - this is turning into a vent now...Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Partials are NOT supposed to be Pet Loops.

However, folks have pets in just about every loop nowadays.

Having said that, if you do bump up to full, just ask for a site with a large sand pad. The pad size varys on the full hookup sites. Some have small sand areas, some have very good sized sand areas. Just tell them what you need!

There are premium pet loops too.

Yes, there are, but OP is tent camping. Hard to set up a tent on concrete. I certainly won't do it, cause you can't stake everything out on concrete, and tents lose their waterproofness if they are not staked out properly.

Actually, I think the rules have changed, you can have pets in tents, but you must board them when you leave the campground for the parks.

Here are the rules currently on the official WDW site:

petrules-1.jpg

These say that you can have a pet in your tent or pop-up even when you are not present, as long as the pet is confined to a container.

The last time I had my dog there, though, the document they have you sign at check in says no pets in tents or pop-ups. I was pulling the pop up right behind me with Rocky sitting next to me when the castmember had me sign that form. Go figure.

TCD

Not to mention dangerous as all hell!

I'd like to see at the very least, a stipulation that whatever "camping unit" the dog is left in, that it MUST be air conditioned.

I cannot imagine a dog left crated in a tent or popup without air conditioning in FL most times of the year.

That's just a recipe for a (quickly) dead dog.

And the same people that think "hey, I left the window open a crack" when they leave their dogs in their cars in 90 degree weather, will think nothing of saving a buck on boarding and leaving their dogs in their tents with a flap or 2 open.

(ARGH)

I worry about the power going out a lot. Luckily, one of us is usually hanging around the fort these days. Even so, two of those temperature activated vent fans are still at the top of my shopping list this fall...

... I would feel EXTREMELY guilty about bringing him all the way to FL and then boarding him all week.

From what I've seen of what Best Friends has to offer... I don't think you'd need to feel too guilty. 8)

I didn't even bring my dogs with me in July. Even though we have a very well air conditioned MH all I could think of is what could happen if the power went out and we were not there.

Something we always worry about too - although a bit less because we're usually there in Oct/Nov/Dec. Still, we've had some pretty hot days those times of year too. Brian keeps scoping out systems that would auto alert us if the temp rose about a certain point, but hasn't found anything doable yet.

The risk of the AC going out is a danger for enclosed RV's as well as for pop-ups.

Definitely some risk involved in leaving your dog in any TT with the A/C running in hot weather. I think it's riskier in some cases than others though, due to the difference in volume and how quickly the unit heats up.

Our last TT was a 21' hybrid that opened to about 30' with tents on both ends. It was pretty much standard sized in the middle with no slide outs, I think the ceilings were 7' ish. It was tough to keep it cool if we were even a little bit in the sun because of the tent ends. Putting the shade tarps on them helped quite a bit, but the A/C would still work overtime. The times we dry camped with it during the summer it was HOT - and that was with everything unzipped. It wouldn't have taken long at all for it to get dangerously hot if the A/C cut out with everything zipped up. Luckily the only times we dry camped were when we were places where we were always at our site, and when we were at the Fort it was November and we were in a site that was at least partly shaded. Even still, we worried. I don't think we've have even attempted it at the Fort during the truly warm months unless we were planning to be at the site pretty much all the time.

The new hard-side TT is about as long as the hybrid was open (30'), but... it has 8'+ ceilings and 2 big slides, so a ton more volume, i.e., LOTS more space/air that needs to be heated before things get dangerously hot. It also has a ton of insulation (rated for 4 season camping). We've dry camped parked in the full sun with it, and with the windows open and 90+ degrees, it pretty much never got too hot. Uncomfortable, but not dangerously hot, even for the furry ones. I've also gone in it when it was completely closed up and parked in our yard in the summer and it was REALLY uncomfortable, but not deadly.

All that said, leaving your dog in a camping unit of any kind with no A/C at all for ANY length of time (even an hour in some conditions) pretty much guarantees you're going to seriously hurt or kill your dog.

Drives me nuts that Disney would rather not deal with confronting those (hopefully few) people who think "it's fine" to leave their dogs in the tent and head off to the park for the day, than actually include it in the rules. If for no other reason than to cover their butts. The way things go today, I wouldn't put it past someone whose dog died in their overheated tent from suing Disney because "they said I could keep my dog in my tent - they didn't tell me it was dangerous". And given that people claiming not to know that hot coffee is indeed.... hot, it's also reasonable to assume that they could actually win such a ridiculous case.

Sorry Fiends... didn't mean to hijack this by getting on my "responsible pet owner" soapbox. Sometimes I just can't help myself. And I've already heard of 3 dogs that have died in overheated cars this summer, so this one really pushes my buttons.

OK, ok- I didn't mean to start a debate. :holysheep:

We are responsible doggy lovers and we wouldn't be leaving George in the tent at all! Weren't planning on it. Basically he would go to Doggy Daycare at Best Friends while we're at the parks and then the days we're at the Fort, we'd be at the site with him. No exploring or anything. I'm just kinda relunctant to leave him in a kennel period, mainly because he was so sick when we adopted him from being in the kennel at the shelter. And he's kinda gets a little freaked when we leave him. However, if I can't smooth things over with my Mom soon, I will have to kennel him. The good news is that I found a kennel close to home where one of vet tech's works on the weekends. :jumpforjoy And my vets office highly recommends it. So that is an option. :whew:

I agree with everything said above about leaving ANY animal in ANY vehicle all day alone. You just never now what would happen. And even though George likes to go camping with us, I would be more worried about him all week and shuffling him around than having fun with my non-furry kids. :thumbsup2:

Somewhere along the line, the air conditioning requirement got dropped.

Can't imagine why. That was one rule that actually made sense!

(oops - I think I just answered my own question)

OK, ok- I didn't mean to start a debate. :holysheep:

We are responsible doggy lovers and we wouldn't be leaving George in the tent at all! Weren't planning on it.

You didn't - that was all me (sorry Fiends). And absolutely NONE of that was aimed at you! I know of all you've been through with George and that you definitely do NOT fit into that group of "dopey pet owners"... not even close!

Our rescue group has been dealing with too many idiotic people lately (more than usual) and I guess I'm a bit oversensitive on the doggie topics these days.

Really sorry if it seemed like I was venting at you! sign_sorry.gif

I'm just kinda relunctant to leave him in a kennel period, mainly because he was so sick when we adopted him from being in the kennel at the shelter. And he's kinda gets a little freaked when we leave him.

Totally understandable! I think Best Friends will be VERY different from the shelter kennel. We've got a few reviews of it floating around here with photos, I'll see if I can dig them up.

You might want to consider some of the play time add ons where the folks there will spend some time with him if you think he'll be too stressed being there alone.

And if the place close to home pans out, even better!

However things shake out, I know you'll do what's best for George and he's lucky to have a family that cares so much about his happiness and well being. :heartsmiley:

Yes, what Mo said.

After I win the lottery and move to the Fort, I am going to offer my services as a dog sitter. Just give me the keys to your camper, and let me know when to check on your pet, and I'll do it.

No charge either. But, I will reserve the right to help myself to your beer cooler and perhaps your crock pot and fridge.

TCD

Yes, what Mo said.

After I win the lottery and move to the Fort, I am going to offer my services as a dog sitter. Just give me the keys to your camper, and let me know when to check on your pet, and I'll do it.

No charge either. But, I will reserve the right to help myself to your beer cooler and perhaps your crock pot and fridge.

TCD

Of course! I wouldn't have it any other way!! What's mine is the FIENDS!! :doublebeer:

Too funny TCD, because Brian and I have often discussed pet sitting at the Fort when we "retire".

If we were there long enough, we would totally do this for Fiends now.

Of course anyone else would have to pay top dollar! 8)

I probably got the idea from you.

It would be awesome if something like this did exist. When we are at WDW, we are never far from the Fort, but I still wouldn't leave Rocky alone (in a crate) in the pop-up (with the AC running). The poor guy doesn't get to come with us very much as a result.

TCD