Pre and Trip Report: First time tent campers 8/17 - 8/19

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loving the TR!! And I must say you are a better person than I am for letting the "buddies" tag along. Hell, there are times I don't even want my husband along on my camping trips let alone some rookie

LOL, I feel you on the DH comment, doesnt mean I don't love him, I'm just a little "settled" in my ways when in comes to camping and he dare not question it :) I couldnt camp with a vegetarian, I cons

Arrival and Day 1 DD and I cut school and work on Friday so we could get an early start. DH was going to come after work with everyone’s bikes. The plan was for DD and I to set up our site, and be c

We camped at Lion Country Safari for the weekend about a year ago when we had our TT. The waking up to the lions rumor is true. Here is my review:

Cant beat the prices.100 bucks for the weekend, and that includes two days for four guests to the park. And the park includes the drive through area, which is awesome, as well as the park and walk amusement area, which includes rides, feed the giraffes, water park, feed the birds, etc. We had a blast.

We live down here, so it was a local weekend for us. For 100 bucks, there is NOTHING better you can do. The only down side: the campsite was empty. There were two other camps there that looked temporary, the other 20 were permanent. In a bad way. There were another 100 or so sites that were empty. It was a little creepy. If you can get over that, then the pool was decent and the park was great! would I tent camp there? Prob not. We are tent campers now and I don't know that a. I would feel safe and b. that I would enjoy sitting outside. In a tent, that is kind of the point, sitting outside and only going in to sleep. Outside here is not so great. If you had a group to go with, like a couple of sites, then that might fix it. They had some koa cabins there that looked cute.

This is the first trip report I've read on this forum :o. Love hearing about just plain ole camping at FW. You didn't mention the heat at all! I am a whimp when it comes to heat and humidity and I wanted some justification for not camping at FW in the summer. Sounds like you were comfortable, was the weather unusual for this time of year?

This is the first trip report I've read on this forum :o. Love hearing about just plain ole camping at FW. You didn't mention the heat at all! I am a whimp when it comes to heat and humidity and I wanted some justification for not camping at FW in the summer. Sounds like you were comfortable, was the weather unusual for this time of year?

Welcome!

While I can't answer for Trish, I know I was at the Fort for a week mid-August. It wasn't that bad to me. However, we didn't tent and I've lived in FL for 20 years so am probably used to it.

I do think we've had a pretty average summer as far as temps. Which surprises me, because we had very little cold weather last winter and everyone kept remarking on how that meant it was going to be a brutal summer. But I can remember times when I'd be soaking wet just after a brief bike ride at the Fort in the evening, and that didn't happen this time.

FP4

Welcome!

While I can't answer for Trish, I know I was at the Fort for a week mid-August. It wasn't that bad to me. However, we didn't tent and I've lived in FL for 20 years so am probably used to it.

I do think we've had a pretty average summer as far as temps. Which surprises me, because we had very little cold weather last winter and everyone kept remarking on how that meant it was going to be a brutal summer. But I can remember times when I'd be soaking wet just after a brief bike ride at the Fort in the evening, and that didn't happen this time.

FP4

Thanks! I've heard about the intense sweating episodes. Bleh. We had very little snow last winter (Colorado) and now the almanac is predicting a brutal winter here. Go figure. Time to go camping in Florida!

Great TR, glad you enjoyed tent camping. To bad about you friends. I agree with Dave, we love to go with the fiends, we all do what we want, when we want, no presure at all. No one puts demands on each other and we have a great time together. I am assuming you live not to far from the fort, you should come join us on one of the fiends Grand Gathering.

Ya I agree about the other board. But it was pretty helpful for me and I found some useful info (and pictures!) there when I was deciding if we could pull off tent camping or not...so I wanted to post it there too for the people (lurkers) like me.

Plus, this site wasn't easy to find!

Trish-

Again, great job on this report.

And thanks for posting the same report in two places, because it clearly illustrates something which I think should be important to you and anyone else new to camping at the Fort.

This site, fortfiends.net, is the authority for all things related to Fort Wilderness. And, I think it is way more friendlier than any other Disney related site.

For those reading along who don't know what I'm talking about, Trish also posted her trip report over on a site that claims to be "the internet's largest and friendliest Disney community." The exact same report posted on two different sites. It would be interesting to see what kind of response was received from each, right?

Here on FF.net, as of today, 975 people viewed the report, and there were 70 replies.

Over there, as of today, 1221 people viewed the report, but there were only 15 replies. Fifteen. One Five. And, most of those replies were from poor old Trish, who was basically talking to herself over there.

Maybe that other place is large, but it sure ain't friendly!

TCD

That's ok....I am old...just ask my kid...or my back!

TCD, did you just call Trish old? Remember we want her to come back here often and hang out with us. After all she did point out to us a very important lesson. Bacon is a vegetable!

That sounds a lttle scary! Maybe a group...but I am kind of put off by that right now. Thanks for the review!

We camped at Lion Country Safari for the weekend about a year ago when we had our TT. The waking up to the lions rumor is true. Here is my review:

Cant beat the prices.100 bucks for the weekend, and that includes two days for four guests to the park. And the park includes the drive through area, which is awesome, as well as the park and walk amusement area, which includes rides, feed the giraffes, water park, feed the birds, etc. We had a blast.

We live down here, so it was a local weekend for us. For 100 bucks, there is NOTHING better you can do. The only down side: the campsite was empty. There were two other camps there that looked temporary, the other 20 were permanent. In a bad way. There were another 100 or so sites that were empty. It was a little creepy. If you can get over that, then the pool was decent and the park was great! would I tent camp there? Prob not. We are tent campers now and I don't know that a. I would feel safe and b. that I would enjoy sitting outside. In a tent, that is kind of the point, sitting outside and only going in to sleep. Outside here is not so great. If you had a group to go with, like a couple of sites, then that might fix it. They had some koa cabins there that looked cute.

Well we are Florida natives, so I really think the heat isn't such a big deal for us sometimes. I was never uncomfortable (except for being cold in the tent at night). The temps were normal and a bit rainy so the humidity was definately up.

What a fun and educational TR! A friend at work is a vegetarian (truly) and I'll have to let her know that she can feel free to enjoy lunchables, bacon, and pina coladas! :rofl3:

Sounds like a successful first trip! I've enjoyed reading it~ thanks for taking time to write it!

I think I said it already, but I really enjoyed your report.

I was also a semi-lurker on the other place. Because of some great people there/here now I was able to pull off my first tent camping experience. I had NO idea what I was doing when it came to camping at the Fort and I'm not sure if I would have tent camped if I hadn't stumbled on people willing to voice their opinions and share their trips.

It's been a few years now since that first tent camping trip to the Fort, but it's still my favorite trip out of all of them.