Help Kindle, Kindle Fire, Nook, IPad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have this thing that has a complete book on it. Except for the thickness, one version of it is about the same size as a Nook, Kindle, or other piece of electronic crap that you wasted your money on.

damn, I agree with Lou, but I bet I won't get any up arrows for it :techno:

i love holding a book but i can't carry 10 boxes of books in the RV....

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Okay, this debate has been going on in my house for several days about the Kindle and other tablets. My b-day is coming up and my parents' have graciously offered to get me one but I can't make up my mind on what/which to get. (Never in a million years would I even ask for the iPad from them.) So I said I was going to get on Fort Fiends and see what y'all had to say about it. My family could not understand why I would ask a bunch of Disney camping fanatics about a tablet. I assured them I was quite positive it had been discussed around here. And what do you know...I was right...and I usually am. ;)

:rofl2: Right again Liv.

you don't know what you are missing....

but, who am I to convince you? :rofl2:

I have an IPad. In the beginning I didn't use it much. Now I use it all the time. I have magazine subscriptions and ebooks. If you travel they are always handy and don't take up near as much space-----just say'n........... :toiletreading: IPad is my vote.

Well I did get the Kindle Fire, but haven't had time to use it enough to let you know what I think of it. I wanted a tablet, but not the IPad, so also brought a LePan, never realizing the Kindle was a lot like it just smaler (that's how little I have used the Kindle that I didn't even realize I was buying pretty much the same thing) I was going to sell the Kindle, but haven't even had time to think about it.

The only thing about the tablet's and Kindle Fire vs the original Kindle is that they don't have e=ink and are not as easy to read a book as the original. If I am reading in the MH I ususally get a glare, I have found that I can somwhat get rid of the glare depending on how I turn it.

The Tables with Google are getting good write ups, I like what I had red about the LePan, I will try and let you know as I am going to use it this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

A friends father gave me a piece of advice that I've extrapolated to many decisions. He told me," until you're getting close to retirement, buy the biggest motor your boat will hold/you can afford." That single piece of advice has saved me from stacking outdated stuff in storage as I make incremental purchases.

Bought an iPad. Paid more for it than other brands. Haven't looked back and haven't been shopping for a replacement. Same with my truck...same with electric appliances....etc. buy it once and don't revisit.

Liv, my BIL, who is an IT guy, recently got his daughter a Nexus 7 pad. It is an Android pad and i'll tell you, the thing is awesome. For $200 it seems to do everything our ipad does. I will seriously consider those if we need another pad.

I remembered you referring to the Nexus in your TR and had to re-read every page until I found it a couple of weeks ago when I was frantically trying to make a decision. I wrote down the name and when I get time, will do some more investigating. I do think I will get a plain jane kindle for reading. My (getting old) eyes can't tolerate a computer-like screen for very long with side effects. :blink:

I vacillated about getting an e-reader for about a year after they came out. Finally my DH said, "Will you just order the damned thing? I'm tired of listening to you." It is without a doubt the best purchase I've ever made.

I have the Kindle 3G & have had it for almost 4 years. If it craps out on me, I'll probably get another one. My DH has a tablet set up with my Kindle account and I also can get to my library on my Samsung droid. I'm too old to read books on my droid (or rather, my eyes are) - so that's out. The tablet is to heavy and too cumbersome - so that's out. My Kindle fits nicely in my purse & it doesn't feel like I'm carting a boat anchor. That's important because long lines at the store no longer bother me - I just stand there & read. I bought the clip-on light ($8.00 at Wal-Mart) so if I want to read in subdued lighting - it works.

I have read a ton of books I might not have otherwise read since I bought my Kindle. Mostly the free ones, which were excellent, I might add. I'm set up to download from our library - but haven't used that feature much as you still have to wait quite a while for new releases. So - if I find a new release I'd like to read I set it up on my wishlist. The price eventually comes down & if I still want to read it by that time I download it. Now if I want to read it right away I'll bite the bullet & pay the full price.

What is wonderful about any e-reader is, if you're out and about & want to get another book you can just go shopping from your e-reader!

Lou - if you read a lot - take it from this old lady - you won't miss the paper book at all. I thought I would - but I don't. Also - don't worry about cheating the author out of money. The free books are ones that didn't do well in print or an otherwise unknown author is trying to get known, Amazon, B&N & any other e-reader company will not violate copyright laws to give away books. Authors also have contracts with the publishing companies and most authors are making more due to the e-readers. I know my Godchild who wrote & is still writing the "Winston Churchill's Secretary - Maggie Hope" series loves it every time she hears the "cha-ching" from another download!

We have a Samsung Tablet with the ability to add 32GB of memory to it. Works great as both an eReader and browser for the web. It will also accept Bluetooth devices like keyboards and a mouse, so it can be more like a mini PC if needed. I like using the Kindle app on that and the phone.

I vacillated about getting an e-reader for about a year after they came out. Finally my DH said, "Will you just order the damned thing? I'm tired of listening to you." It is without a doubt the best purchase I've ever made.

I have the Kindle 3G & have had it for almost 4 years. If it craps out on me, I'll probably get another one. My DH has a tablet set up with my Kindle account and I also can get to my library on my Samsung droid. I'm too old to read books on my droid (or rather, my eyes are) - so that's out. The tablet is to heavy and too cumbersome - so that's out. My Kindle fits nicely in my purse & it doesn't feel like I'm carting a boat anchor. That's important because long lines at the store no longer bother me - I just stand there & read. I bought the clip-on light ($8.00 at Wal-Mart) so if I want to read in subdued lighting - it works.

I have read a ton of books I might not have otherwise read since I bought my Kindle. Mostly the free ones, which were excellent, I might add. I'm set up to download from our library - but haven't used that feature much as you still have to wait quite a while for new releases. So - if I find a new release I'd like to read I set it up on my wishlist. The price eventually comes down & if I still want to read it by that time I download it. Now if I want to read it right away I'll bite the bullet & pay the full price.

What is wonderful about any e-reader is, if you're out and about & want to get another book you can just go shopping from your e-reader!

Lou - if you read a lot - take it from this old lady - you won't miss the paper book at all. I thought I would - but I don't. Also - don't worry about cheating the author out of money. The free books are ones that didn't do well in print or an otherwise unknown author is trying to get known, Amazon, B&N & any other e-reader company will not violate copyright laws to give away books. Authors also have contracts with the publishing companies and most authors are making more due to the e-readers. I know my Godchild who wrote & is still writing the "Winston Churchill's Secretary - Maggie Hope" series loves it every time she hears the "cha-ching" from another download!

I remember you stating numerous time how much you love your kindle!

I actually went on and ordered the kindle keyboard today...with several books to go along with it. I am a note taker and can't stand a touch screen. I could have gotten a fire for a smidge more than what the keyboard cost but I didn't. :laugh:

I'll get a tablet...in the future. :grumpy2:

I remember you stating numerous time how much you love your kindle!

I actually went on and ordered the kindle keyboard today...with several books to go along with it. I am a note taker and can't stand a touch screen. I could have gotten a fire for a smidge more than what the keyboard cost but I didn't. :laugh:

I'll get a tablet...in the future. :grumpy2:

I have the Kindle Keyboard and LOVE it! Not sure about the touch screen either... the one on my phone is bad enough. Grrrr.

The kindle keyboard is awesome :dance: ! The e-ink screen is so easy on the eyes...you will love it! Mine is with me all of the time.

I have the Kindle Keyboard and LOVE it! Not sure about the touch screen either... the one on my phone is bad enough. Grrrr.

Guess what came in the mail today? :jumpforjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled the trigger on a Nexus 10. Our Nexus 7's are going to the kids. A new feature in android 4.2 allows multiple user profiles to be stored. Before unlocking the device you select a profile and it will load all of the apps, bookmarks, and settings associated to that user. I've tried it on the Nexus 7 and it works great. It effectively creates multiple tablets out of one device....assuming you don't want to use it at the same time.

The wife and I will share the 10 and still use the 7's on occasion.

I plan on buying a wifi enabled portable hard drive to load up our dvd collection. This will allow streaming of different movies to each device without chewing up device memory. That should make the long drives a little better on everyone.

I hope my kids realize how lucky they are to be living in a world with such technology. I played "football" on trips by manipulating little red dots across a dark red screen....lol.

We currently have the "kids place" apps on the 7's. This app replaces the home screen with a screen containing only apps that we set so the kids can't access certain things. It can only be disabled with a pin code.