Has anyone driven through Jacksonville lately?

I got a new TripTik from AAA and they advised me to take 295 around Jacksonille because of heavy construction on 95. But I'm checking online and not finding anything except a bridge being replaced.

Anyone know how bad it is? We usually stay on 95 because it's shorter and at the time of day we go through there the traffic is relatively light. But don't want to get caught up in heavy traffic or really narrow lanes.

Should we take 295? Thanks!

Great to know!

Along those lines... anyone from up this way been over the GW bridge in NYC lately? I'm hearing all sorts of scary rumors about construction and insane traffic and we're trying to figure out if we need to go "the long way" or take our chances.

We're planning to be going through around 9pm on either a Wed or Thur, so normally not bad as far as rush hour is concerned.

TJ is correct. Although, 95 can be difficult at certain times of the day, or if there is a wreck. Had an appointment over near Baymeadows the other day and got hung up a little. There is work going on but plenty of lanes are open. It seems like the temporary lines and orange barrels are kind of perpetual, they never really go away……..295 is actually worse right now where they appear to be putting in a new exit ramp just before Blanding Blvd. No shoulder in places.

I'd be more concerned with I-4, if you are headed to the fort. It's a crapshoot.

This actually reminds me of our trips up North during the summer months. The GPS systems and online trip planners always tell us to go around Richmond. I've never understood that. We've never done it, but wonder if it isn't as out of the way as it looks on the maps.

It looks like 9a has been renamed 295 on the eastern loop. I would highly recommend taking the eastern loop, NOT the western loop. It will avoid 95 thru Jacksonville and is much quicker. Despite what everyone else is saying, 95 thru Jacksonville can get hairy at times, especially when towing. I also avoid I4 thru Orlando by continuing south on 95 and taking 407 to the Beachline. It is a toll and adds about 30 minutes to your drive, but if traffic on I4 is backed up, you will more than make up the time. Also avoids white knuckles thru Orlando.

I should add I avoid city driving when I tow at all costs. That being said, I have taken the bypass around Richmond and it is horrible. Very long and out of the way, and the Richmond traffic really isn't that bad unless you hit rush hour.

I agree with FWG, if you are going to use the bypass, take EAST 295.

We drove through JAX both in Feb and our last trip. 95 isn't bad with constuction cones, barrels, etc, but both times were NOT during rush hour.

However, 95 between the city and 295 on the south side, is a washboard. Either plan to have your tooths and fillings checked after getting to the Fort, or plan to ride the left lane. The left lane is the smoothest, the right lanes.....suck. In both directions.

295 East (old 9A) is a nice ride, but the bridge is MUCH higher, I won't drive that bridge.

295 West, goes much further away from the city and adds time. Plus it is a boring ride, IMHO.

Yes, FWG is right. It can get hairy. But so can 295 in both directions, so it's kind of a "pick your poison" situation. Besides, no matter which way you decide to go through Jacksonville, it really doesn't take that long in the end. We don't have the traffic that places like Atlanta do.

Gwen, if you don't like suspension bridges then you definitely want to avoid 295 east. I commuted over the Dames Point for 10 years and never got used to it. It's white-knuckle when it's windy. If you go 295 west, you have to cross the Buckman, which isn't high, but it's 3 miles across. Staying on 95 you only have to deal with the Fuller Warren, much shorter in length and height.

I live here, and think that all 3 routes suck, frankly. All 3 roads have construction going on and have that "washboard issue" in places. I haven't been on 295 east from the airport to the Dames Point in a while, that is Donnie's side of town, he would know more. But I drive the other section of 295 and 95 regularly and don't have too much trouble.

It is 2 miles long, 175 feet above the river. In doing this search, I discovered the FL dot site that states there is a huge construction project happening this year, and it's not finished yet. They are replacing the middle wall, which likely means lane closures and/or no shoulders.

I don't know about you, but I don't even like crossing these large bridges under normal circumstances, and having to do it with an RV and construction would frazzle me even worse.

I will attempt to post a photo of it that I found online - I couldn't figure out how to make it smaller. If you notice the size of the cars crossing it, that gives you an idea of its' size.

Dames_Point_Bridge%2C_Jacksonville_FL_766.JPG

1 mile and very tall!

I looked at the FL dot site and it said 2 miles - not sure how they measure, if it's end to end or just the arch - but yes it is steep. This area is very close to the coast and there is nothing to break the offshore winds up there.

Notice the school bus on the left side of the photo coming off the bridge. That gives a good perspective.

Gwen, when are you traveling? I would be happy to give you my # if you'd like to call a few hours ahead to check on weather and traffic down here, or can tell you which TV stations have live traffic cams on their sites.

We take 95 and go through JAX. We switch drivers every 2 hrs and don't you know it was a joke that I ALWAYS got the JAX stint. Well, it really isn't a problem now. Last Dec. was fine and going around is way to much longer for us. We're going to go straight through again this Dec. Good luck!