Bears are back and not the Country ones either.

Going to Pennsylvania bear country camping today. They are especially active this year for some reason, and this time of year they are trying to fatten up for their hibernation. Guess the Florida bears wouldn't hibernate, though.

What part of PA are you camping in? If its bear country, it must be my yard. I have video of 6 bears having a party around my apple & pear trees. Wow can they be destructive.

There was an article in the Orlando Sentinal awhile back about black bear sightings around central FL. It seems their natural habitats have been encroached upon so severely that they keep moving, looking for new places to exist. With all the development in and around Windemere it's only natural that the bears would end up in the undeveloped areas of Disney. With their food supplies diminishing, they will seek easy food targets, i.e. trash cans & food left out in the open. What better place to find these things than at the Fort?

I really don't want to meet one face to face but, I also feel badly that they are being forced out of their homes and forced into the unnatural way of trying to exist with man.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be a wuss, but the bear sightings have kind of rattled me. Bears are about the only forest type animals we don't have any experience with. Do we need bear spray?? The National Park system recommended taking bear spray when we go to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons...I never thought we would need it at Fort Wilderness. For those of you more experienced, am I over reacting? (I'm not the fastest runner so I don't want to be dinner!)

I hate to be a wuss, but the bear sightings have kind of rattled me. Bears are about the only forest type animals we don't have any experience with. Do we need bear spray?? The National Park system recommended taking bear spray when we go to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons...I never thought we would need it at Fort Wilderness. For those of you more experienced, am I over reacting? (I'm not the fastest runner so I don't want to be dinner!)

Yes IMO, we've been here 3 weeks and haven't seen or actually heard of any specific activity They posted the warnings as a "just in case" as well as to remind people not to leave food/garbage out. The same letter was posted in August as well.

We have been over run with Black Bears up here in my neck of the woods for the last few years. I had one coming in to my tree stand that could rest one hand on the tree and use the other to swat my corn feeder to make the corn fall out. I watched him eat his fill while lying down and using his paw to shovel it in to his mouth. Then he promptly walked about 50 yards and threw up. Seems they can't digest the corn, but eat it anyway.

I also lost my game cam one day. I thought someone had been coming across the creek on to our property to hunt and realized the camera took a pic of them. Nope, found it a few weeks later with teeth marks. Got the pics on the computer and the last two were of the bear one with his mouth open going for the camera. I guess he didn't like the flash.

I didn't realize they were as far south as the Fort. If y'all are traveling after dark be wary. Bear vs Car/truck accidents are not good.

Wow! I'd love to see those pictures

Silly question , maybe.....:) Do the Bears hibernate down south? or is it only in cold climates that Bears hunker down for the winter? I will be there in December , in a tent, without a car to store food. I don't wanna be the highlight of the Bears holiday when he tears my tent to shreds just looking for a tasty stacy-meal....LOL The dining plan is looking abit more safe ,in regards to having no food around to tempt the bears. Any info. on how the Bears handle perfect strangers/humans taking their pictures? P.S.. how fast do they run ? :)

Thanks for any info...

Stacy.

Silly question , maybe..... :) Do the Bears hibernate down south? or is it only in cold climates that Bears hunker down for the winter? I will be there in December , in a tent, without a car to store food. I don't wanna be the highlight of the Bears holiday when he tears my tent to shreds just looking for a tasty stacy-meal....LOL The dining plan is looking abit more safe ,in regards to having no food around to tempt the bears. Any info. on how the Bears handle perfect strangers/humans taking their pictures? P.S.. how fast do they run ? :)

Thanks for any info...

Stacy.

Do not worry about bears.

They have been issuing notices like this for years.

There has not been one reliable report of an actual bear sighting at the Fort in all those years.

TCD

Fishing was great! We caught around 20 fish. All bass and 1 crappie (crappy? Idk). It was pretty windy on Saturday. Thankfully we got our fishing in because later in the day they pulled the boats from going out because of the wind.

Here is my DS with his first fish. http://instagr.am/p/RhvZHilDZ3/

Fishing was great! We caught around 20 fish. All bass and 1 crappie (crappy? Idk). It was pretty windy on Saturday. Thankfully we got our fishing in because later in the day they pulled the boats from going out because of the wind.

Here is my DS with his first fish. http://instagr.am/p/RhvZHilDZ3/

Twenty fish?

That is awesome!!!

And that photo of your son with his first fish is a keeper!

Way to go!

TCD

IthacaStacyLynn, black bears can run up to 35 MPH. They can climb trees and swim. I take it from your screen ne you maybe from Ithaca NY. If so, there are black bear in Tompkins County too. We live a couple of hours away from Ithaca and I have had to stop the car on the way home to let the bear go across the road.,