War Breaks Out, Donkeys Fly: A Typical MetalDad TR!

Seminole War? Man, this report keeps on surprising.

After growing up HATING hash, I have developed a love for the stuff. Yours looks really good. They also had some excellent corned beef hash on the Disney Dream. At this moment, I'd go back on that ship just for the hash. If spending several thousand bucks on hash wasn't really stupid.

I do mine in the iron skillet, healthy dose of garlic and Old Bay, nice and crispy. Next time I'm thinking of shaving a little onion into it. We've since switched to iron skillets at home as well as a result! Also...Everything gets hot sauce!

Cool trip report. Can't wait or more.

Thanks for reading along!

Great update! I love the Josie duty comment. We actually have an unspoken game with our dog. It's called try to ignore the fact that she needs to go for a walk the longest to see who wins. The loser gets walking duty. Thankfully the dog walking torch has been passed to our oldest boy on our camping trips :).

I LOL at the scooter comments and the pictures of you having a blast on it.

Looking forward to the re enactment!

I look forward to my son being big enough to walk her. That will be almost as sweet as hearing him mow the yard from the comfort of the couch!

The scooter thing is that typically this camping group usually hosts a race, all the old, big guys on the little kiddie scooters, but due to the layout and distance of the loops, it didn't happen.

Loving the TR and great photos... also a huge fan of Doc. Hollywood... never knew where it was filmed so thank you for the information, can't wait for the update !

I'm thinking of a non-festival trip there to explore. There's also a festival called "Doc Hollywood Days" that happens each spring.

Lovin the report!

Thanks. Did you notice I captured a t@b in one of the hammock photos?

MD- I am a bit behind on my TR reading, but just read your latest update.

Very good.

Love the Bucs p.j.'s. LOL that they're high-waters!

And, nice save on breakfast with no eggs.

I am also a fan of corned beef hash, but no one else in my family is, so I am limited to grabbing a spoonful from the occasional buffet.

TCD

Because of my lack of height, I had to cut the legs down, I cut a little too much, and they're frayed, kind of a shipwrecked look!

We've been trying to keep the crackers and chips to a minimum, and found that the kids all like hard-boiled eggs, so we always seem to have them.

We just haven't developed a system where they're marked as such!

CB Hash is a staple camping meal for us! And, we always have extra!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Did you notice I captured a t@b in one of the hammock photos?

I had to look again, but that wasn't a T@B. That was actually a teardrop made by Little Guy. That thing is tiny compared to mine. I can stand up in mine. All you can do is lay down in one of those things. But thanks for thinkin about me!!!!

MD- I am a bit behind on my TR reading, but just read your latest update.

Very good.

Love the Bucs p.j.'s. LOL that they're high-waters!

And, nice save on breakfast with no eggs.

I am also a fan of corned beef hash, but no one else in my family is, so I am limited to grabbing a spoonful from the occasional buffet.

TCD

I love it too, and am also the only one in my family who does.

If you don't mind the canned version (which is what I mostly ate growing up so I don't know any better), you can get small individual portion sized cans of it made by Mary Kitchen. It's just enough and good for the occasional craving! We always ate it with fried eggs when I was a kid.

My mom used to make hash with leftover roast, too. She had this big metal meat grinder that connected to the counter like a vice grip. I remember helping turn the handle. Then she would add the potatoes and fry them in patties. Soooo yummy!

I love it too, and am also the only one in my family who does.

If you don't mind the canned version (which is what I mostly ate growing up so I don't know any better), you can get small individual portion sized cans of it made by Mary Kitchen. It's just enough and good for the occasional craving! We always ate it with fried eggs when I was a kid.

My mom used to make hash with leftover roast, too. She had this big metal meat grinder that connected to the counter like a vice grip. I remember helping turn the handle. Then she would add the potatoes and fry them in patties. Soooo yummy!

1. Can you bring your mom camping at the Fort?

2. If the answer to question 1 is yes, please let me know when you will be there and the site number.

3. Also, please remind your mom to bring that grinder with her.

4. And some leftover roast and potatoes.

Thanks.

TCD

All caught up.

:lmao1: at your PJ's. There is something about camping that makes you feel like you can wear anything, even out in the open.

I've been known to walk the dog in outfits that I wouldn't wear out in my own front yard.

Isn't it time for an update?

Day Two

Sounds: War Dance and gunfire

Smells: southern cooking and gunsmoke

Tastes: potluck, and blue agave juice.

Everyone was full, bathed, and bug sprayed.

We were on our way to the Alligator Warrior Festival.

But first, a run for some provisions.

We needed Ice, Tums, and some more Dr. Pepper!

Winn Dixie was 6 miles away.

On the way, MetalWife and my son played Haunted/Not Haunted.

I secretly kept track, and they saw more buildings that looked haunted than not.

I had to ask…

Why does a bunch of crap piled in the yard make it look haunted?

It’s not like ghosts need more room?

Back at the park, Gracie showed that she is the one in our family most in touch with nature...

20121020_124511.jpg

Once we left the parking lot, we entered the day use/historic part of the park.

The first thing we saw was this old Cracker-style building.

20121020_124844.jpg

About this time, I started getting texts from Ben asking me all sorts of questions about fishing.

Finally I snapped a photo to prove that we were on a river. Unfortunately, the zoom on my phone really screws up your pictures.

20121020_124743.jpg

As we got closer to the festival, the walk-in was lined with food booths selling all sorts of southern fare like catfish, collard greens, okra, pulled everything, deep fried everything, and an assortment of cooked guts and intestines.

And boiled peanuts.

We spotted our first Indians.

One approached and said that one of the girls ponytails would look good on his lodge pole.

What a perv.

Who says that?

20121020_125017.jpg

The baseball hat with the spirit catcher embroidered on it looked authentic.

Here’s some random artifacts and demonstrations. Some photos didn’t come out so well, so we re-took them, but I’m posting them all.

20121020_125255.jpg

Ever see a teepee with a baby gate?

20121020_125318.jpg

Now you have!

I tried to think of something clever for this.

20121020_125409.jpg

The girls wanted a Teepee photo

20121020_125705.jpg

20121020_125716.jpg

There was also some displays of the early Florida settlers. A blacksmith cart.

20121020_125857.jpg

Notice Junior’s shirt!

This cart was used in the first scene in the war, just noticed we snapped this photo before we knew that detail!

20121020_130016.jpg

Next, all attention was focused on the basketball court.

The drum started to play.

20121020_131210.jpg

20121020_131253.jpg

In between songs, they would pick up a handful of earth or a satchel of spices and spread it on the drum.

Eventually it all fell off from the rhythm, but I really appreciated the symbolism.

Next they had dancers come up and do celebration dances. Right under the basketball hoop!

20121020_132506.jpg

20121020_132616.jpg

20121020_133012.jpg

20121020_133842.jpg

20121020_133801.jpg

Some of our group was on the other side of the circle.

20121020_133719.jpg

20121020_133035.jpg

Us.

20121020_140425.jpg

Josie was with us too!

As I mentioned she ate her training harness, so it was just her pink camo collar and some good luck!

20121020_135818.jpg

20121020_135550.jpg

I’m not sure why, but I love this next one!

20121020_135514.jpg

She just learned how to “shake”.

20121020_133952.jpg

Notice how much leash is wrapped around MetalWife’s wrist.

The sights and smells had her on high alert, The drums kinda freaked her out.

20121020_133928.jpg

20121020_133855.jpg

After the dances, they asked us to walk through the woods until we saw a rope…stop there!

On the way, I noticed that our neighbors in the RV were behind us, carrying their big box of arms.

I had to snap a photo of the kids with them, but couldn’t stop traffic, so I snapped this whilst jogging backwards through the woods!

20121020_134251.jpg

We came to a rope strewn through the trees.

That’s where we stopped.

There was a slight path that ran the length of the rope.

From the rope on in to the end of the clearing was the battle grounds.

It was a section about 100 yards deep, and 300-400 yards long.

We waited for a bit, and then these fellers happened by.

20121020_134728.jpg

A little bit more of a wait.

The group toward the center of the battlefield let out a big yell.

Apparently a very large snake came out of a log and crossed the path.

Next, they sent out several Indians and spaced them about 50 yards apart, so they could address the crowd.

We were closest to this gent.

20121020_141522.jpg

He told us how the “Alligator Warrior Festival” is named after an old Indian chief, ‘Alligator Warrior” that fought the US troops from advancing into Florida in the Second Seminole War.

Apparently the Seminole, Creek, and other Florida tribes were able to keep thousands of troops from advancing into the state by making a lot of noise in the bushes and scaring the soldiers.

The soldiers assumed that there were thousands of Indians, when in reality it was about 200.

The troops reported that they were overrun by hostile Indians and were losing soldiers.

Apparently there was really only one casualty, a soldier was crushed by his own horse.

20121020_141625.jpg

The re-enacted battle, occurred about 2 miles away from where we were.

He finished by inviting us to one of their “stomps”, like a club meeting.

It felt like that Brady Bunch scene where they all get their Indian names.

For today, the war started when two farmer/settlers came by pulling that cart that you saw earlier.

They were chased by two natives, and that snowballed into the troops attacking.

20121020_143148.jpg

20121020_143201.jpg

20121020_143222.jpg

20121020_143338.jpg

20121020_143428.jpg

20121020_143632.jpg

20121020_143731.jpg

20121020_143752.jpg

20121020_143858.jpg

20121020_144328.jpg

20121020_144338.jpg

20121020_144355.jpg

20121020_144626.jpg

Somewhere in there, I gave the camera to MetalWife to snap some photos.

She’s very into this.

As an educator, she covers sections on Florida native tribes.

This was in her wheelhouse.

My kids thought the smoke and yelling and screaming was awesome.

Then it happened.

My neighbor joined the fight with a monstrous cannon blast.

Guess who was tied to my wrist?

Guess who dislocated a shoulder?

Josie pulled me across those leaves so fast it looked like I was water skiing.

I lost the family at the battlefield, and went back to the park where I soothed the dog and waited for the war to end.

1. Can you bring your mom camping at the Fort?

2. If the answer to question 1 is yes, please let me know when you will be there and the site number.

3. Also, please remind your mom to bring that grinder with her.

4. And some leftover roast and potatoes.

Thanks.

TCD

I have tried numerous times to get her to come down with us. Sadly, she is selling her 5th wheel. Maybe one day she'll join us, but so far no luck!

Besides, she got rid of that meat grinder long ago. However I do believe she still possesses the 70's-era burnt orange Crock Pot that she used to cook roasts in, and I'll bet a modern day food processor would make quick work of that meat grinding! Hmmm, Winn Dixie has roast on sale right now…..it's tempting!

All caught up.

:lmao1: at your PJ's. There is something about camping that makes you feel like you can wear anything, even out in the open.

I've been known to walk the dog in outfits that I wouldn't wear out in my own front yard.

Isn't it time for an update?

As long as you are wearing something and nothing is out in the open, right?

Looks like fun!!!!

It was. I'd do it again some time!

I don't know, call me a purist, but I am anti-baby gates in TP's.

And also, couldn't they have found a better place to dance than under a basketball goal?

The whole thing has a very weird vibe.

But, thanks for sharing.

Because I never had seen a TP With a baby gate before this one.

TCD

There was a lot of funny details like that. Like one kid dressed in full native garb and a Lakers hat!

The locals were into it, and it sure looked like a lot of care went into the war and the dances, but they had so much room, the choice of dancefloor was definitely off.

One guy had a huge wolf on a leash. The only animal we've met that Josie was content not to play with!

Very cool! (Minus creepy perv who wanted the girls ponytail)

Do they do this every year?

I never thought I'd get into this sort of thing until we started going to the Civil War reenactment held in Crystal River. We enjoy it and would probably enjoy this too.

As long as you are wearing something and nothing is out in the open, right?

Lucky for my camping neighbors, I will only go as far as the screen room without being (what normal people) would call "decent" ;)

I have tried numerous times to get her to come down with us. Sadly, she is selling her 5th wheel. Maybe one day she'll join us, but so far no luck!

Besides, she got rid of that meat grinder long ago. However I do believe she still possesses the 70's-era burnt orange Crock Pot that she used to cook roasts in, and I'll bet a modern day food processor would make quick work of that meat grinding! Hmmm, Winn Dixie has roast on sale right now…..it's tempting!

She has a 5th wheel?

Drag that thing and her to the Fort!

If that doesn't work, and you have success with the roast, please bring some hash to the Fort.

Thanks.

TCD

She has a 5th wheel?

Drag that thing and her to the Fort!

If that doesn't work, and you have success with the roast, please bring some hash to the Fort.

Thanks.

TCD

Not for long. She consigned it to a dealer a couple of weeks ago. Kinda sad, but it's too much for just her. It's really beautiful, I got to stay in it last summer.

I sure hope there are no DEA agents on this board. Perhaps in the future you might want to precede "hash" with "roast beef" or "corned beef".

Just to be safe.