Do Golf Carts Have The Right of Way?

I may be mistaken, but I believe Dave was on the actual road not in a loop. If that is the case, I can only imagine a bus or someone pulling an rv behind those kids. He said they were close and crossed the yellow line. Scary. They should have been on the sidewalk.

I think everyone for the most post tries to watch for kids. Whip in the situation yall were in, on the loop with parent supervision, you have every right to be pissed. As did, Dave on the road.

Just my two vents.

I'm not so sure your paths crossed. If Mr.Whipperwhirl had the kids in the loop, and Devores was on the main road, then these are two separate incidences.

Either way it's nice that Mr.Whipperwhirl wants to 'kiss & make-up' as it were and put this in the past:)

... - I expect that golf carts would constantly be on the look out for people on bikes - not the other way around....

I see it a bit differently. When my kids step out the door, they are instructed to look out for "the other guy." I don't care if they are piloting roller blades or a monster truck. Just a different philosophy.

We just returned from the fort 5 days ago. I sympathize with both sides. But I must say I saw a lot of young, really unsupervised kids on bikes in certain loops. I also observed a skateboarder riding down the main road and into a loop on the wrong side of the street. And a mother supervising her kids' bike rides on the bike path. We saw both sides of the story. All I can say is, parents please supervise your children! If you don't and something goes terribly wrong, please don't blame Disney!

I love to ride that path early in the morning. Lots of deer having breakfast. As far as where to ride, I have been told by security to get off the road and ride on the sidewalk, only to be told by another security person not a quarter mile down the road to get off the sidewalk, bikes are supposed to be on the road. I just ride wherever I feel like it now.

Whip- Just in case you don't know, there is a nice paved bike path between the Fort and Wilderness Lodge. Golf carts are not allowed on it, and it is well off the road. If the kids want a nice long ride- take them there.

TCD

Thanks TCD - I had forgotten about that - we may give it a go in the morning.

I really wouldnt have had them do anything differently. This is a vacation desination - not main st USA - if they can't ride their bikes here - without anyone yelling at them to get off the rd - than where can they ride them? Anyway - my son has already forgotten the whole incident - my husband doesnt care - he rather drink beer - so its all past tense.

We just got back from 10 days at the Fort. This is the first time we constantly saw people biking on the main road instead of on the bike path,, we bring our golf cart to get around, when you would come up behind a person on a bike on the main road, they would look at you with a face like, hey I belong here you don't.. We even saw a dad biking on the main road with his daughter in a wheeled carrier attached to his bike,, riding without a care about traffic,,

One year we had a little boy, about 6 or 7, coming to our site and just coming right on in to the side room, was not zippered closed as I was outside. When I asked him what he wanted he said to play. I told him our children were in wheel chairs and could not play.

He kept coming back and trying to get in. I finally told him not to come on our site any more or I would have to visit his parents.

I did not see him again at our site. But I have to admit I was afraid he would come while we were gone.

Now, just because this is WDW and most people camping are honest people, did those parents have no concern for their child?

We could have kidnapped the child and who would have known. People MUST be careful with their children. Most of the time when I see this happening it is with first timers or parents who send the children out to roam so they can have peace and quiet. One day, God forbid, something is going to happen to the children and no one will ever know.

Again, there is no cure for stupidity.

I have a problem with cyclists who feel the the road is theirs.. It often times creates hazards for the cyclist, the car passing and the the oncoming traffic. Just because you can doesn'e always mean you should. I have seen a dad with a small baby in a bike carrier on back and asmall child on a bike in front of him all on a very busy road. Now if the child in front should take a fall, there is not much a dad could do quickly to help and a nasty accident could result. Another instance an entire family with young children were riding on an unmarked country road downhill on a curve. This was very dangerous. Just because you can doesn't mean you should! Both times I wanted to report the parents for child endangerment. When a child is hopitalized or killed because you had a right to be on the road, well it's not worth it. End of soap box.

Since we are complaining about dummies, I have a big one.

Idiots on golf carts who refuse to let buses and other vehicles pass.

The golf cart rules clearly say that golf carts are supposed to pull over on the Fort roads to allow buses and regular vehicles pass.

But, every time I am at the Fort, there will be at least one time that I get stuck behind some idiot on a golf cart driving slow and who refuses to pull over.

Rude.

TCD

Yeah I see that a lot too and when I passed a woman one night who was driving a pos cart to the front ( I gave her the opportunity to finally pull in the hitch loop) I finally went around and she gave me the one finger salute, Now if I had headlights shining all over me I would gladly pull over. Anywho I let her catch back up and told her had she read her rules she would know she was supposed to pull over. She called me a few names and I drove off. So as I'm parking my truck her hubby comes over with her and says he didn't appreciate the way I talked to his wife. I said how? Oh you mean when I told her she was in the wrong, hoping she might realize what a dumbass she was. One thing about being big is most and I mean most and I'm sure I'll get my butt kicked one day but I usually don't have to worry about getting decked.

I rented a golf cart from Kenny last trip and it did not have a rear view mirror. When I was driving it alone, I had trouble keeping up with the traffic behind me. On the main roads I drove as fast as I could, but it wasn't very fast. Next time I'll ask for a cart with a mirror.

Since we are complaining about dummies, I have a big one.

Idiots on golf carts who refuse to let buses and other vehicles pass.

The golf cart rules clearly say that golf carts are supposed to pull over on the Fort roads to allow buses and regular vehicles pass.

But, every time I am at the Fort, there will be at least one time that I get stuck behind some idiot on a golf cart driving slow and who refuses to pull over.

Rude.

TCD

Agreed

The biggest problem that I see in this debate is, although bicycles have a right to the road there is the whole matter of physics going on here. The smaller vehicle and its occupant can sustain greater injury than a party in a larger vehicle. Additionally, the larger the vehicle the longer distance is required for stopping. It really is not a matter of who is in the right, it is a matter of simple physics & inertia. So I think FWC setting is a perfect place to teach children concepts like right-of-way and how far it takes a vehicle or a bus to stop, things like line-of-sight, judging distance, etc. All of the skills that they will need in the future to be a good driver that is sadly not taught anymore.

Now, if we were in a situation where we were trying to back our rig into a site and kids keep bombarding around the vehicle I will ask once. If they do not respond appropriately and persist in buzzing the rig. I can guarantee that I will be employing my "outdoor voice" that was honed to perfection as a US Army Drill Instructor. Now, if a parent wants to get peeved at me for shouting at little johnny or janie in an attempt to keep them safe; then I guess we will have to have a heart to heart about parenting skills.