NEW - Campsite Reservation System

Tennessee State Parks is pleased to announce the implementation of a reservation system for campsites. In January 2013, Tennessee State Parks will unveil a customer-friendly online reservation system that will allow visitors to reserve campsites for all state parks. This reservation service will offer visitors more ease and convenience when it comes to their park stay.

http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/RockIsland/

We are finally embracing 20th century technology here in TN! :rofl2:

But in all seriousness, this is GREAT news! I typically avoid our beautiful state parks just because I don't want to drive 2 hours only to get turned away from a full park. I never thought I'd see this day!! :jumpforjoy

Nebraska has had an on-line system for some time, but it can be frustrating. Only about half (or less) of the sites in any park are reservable, the rest are FCFS. The reservable sites are often gone by early summer- for the rest of the season, meaning you have to vie for fewer walk-in spots. Often I have to pay for a spot by Tuesday or Wednesday in order to have a walk-up spot for a weekend. It's one reason I started using the KOA, even before I started working there. I paid a higher daily rate, but only had to pay for the 2 nights I was to be there, so it was the same cost or cheaper.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

TN's online system is finally up, but by my estimation it has bugs to work out. Why they didn't utilize an existing system like Reserve America, rather than developing their own system, I don't understand. I couldn't get it to work on my work computer which uses IE. Will try it later on INC's computer using Chrome and see if it works. On mine it locks up on the date entry screen and won't go further. But as soon as I can get it to work I am making a reservation and going camping!

https://tnstateparks.itinio.com/

Our state parks have been on line for a long time. but, most of our parks (-again 1/2 the sites might be reservable and 1/3 of those might have electric) are full at exactly 1 yr out. residents can reserve either 12 or 13 months ahead of time and it opens to illinois residents-i mean the rest of the world at like 11 months out. so, you have to plan that far out or take a chance. we've stopped going. sad, because like most state parks they are very pretty and peaceful..

I like how it pops up with a view of the campsite and the information you need to decide if it will fit your rig and I also like the filters it gives you to narrow the selection before you go and click all the circles.

The first time I picked a site, it threw me back to the beginning. The second time it took me the check out screen. That is as far as I got because I'm not really camping.

That was Chrome. I'll play with the others later one.

That's great news. Now if they could get some of the real cool campgrounds some electric. I love Elkmont campground in the smokies, but the wife and kids would go nuts without a/c or tv. I could run a generator but I think there are time restrictions with generators in state parks

That is pretty exciting. Which campground did you pick?

Going to the one closest to us...Montgomery Bell. It as some very nice hiking trails, and a restaurant in the Inn that does a seafood buffet every Friday night.

I reserved a site last night for Fall Creek Falls using IE. Like Annie, the first time I tried it sent me back to the beginning. The second time the system let me reserve the site I wanted. YEAH!!! Got an e-mail confirmation quickly so I know it went through.

Awesome! Love FCF.

Texas has had a site for some time now....its ok but not great. I've never booked where you could actually reserve a specific site at the park...they don't assign you a site until you arrive which kind of stinks if it's really full and you have a larger RV. I've never really had an issue though. State Parks here fill up fast in the late spring/summer so you really have to book months in advance for many spots. In fact I just tried to book at one park last week for this summer and after checking multiple dates I ended up having to switch to another park because it was full.