13 Ways To Save Money at WDW in 2013

Touring Plans has just posted an article with their top 13 ways to save money at the Walt Disney World Resort in 2013...

http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/01/08/13-ways-to-save-money-at-disney-world-in-2013/#more-35507

While some of these are not news to anyone, doesn't hurt to remind people that there actually are some ways to save on a WDW vacation.

Along these lines, does anyone here any tips they'd like to share?

Here's mine...

We only go to WDW once a year, but we plan our trips so that we get 2 trips on one set of annual passes. For example, this year we bought new APs for our November 2012 trip. The first day of our APs was 11/10/12. The last day of our 2013 trip will be 11/8/13. We go for about 20 days each time, but the break even point for when APs become cheaper tends to be somewhere around 10-14 days, depending on what kind of tickets you normally buy.

All in all, this saves us almost $1200 in park tickets over a 2 year period. The catch is that you have to plan out 2 years of trips at a time and be somewhat flexible about when you can go, but if you can swing it, it's a huge savings.

An AP will also get you a 10% merchandise discount at many WDW owned/operated shopping locations, and some dining discounts as well. And as an added bonus (for us at least) park hopping is included.

On top of that, when we purchase our APs we also purchase a TiW card, also good for 2 trips. Depending on how you eat/drink while you're at WDW, this can save you a BUNCH of money, as it's good for 20% off on nearly all TS meals (including drinks), and is also good at many of the lounges around WDW, as well as at some of the QS locations at Animal Kingdom.

We actually crunched the numbers on the dining plan vs TiW discount last year, and we came out far ahead using TiW for the way we typically eat on vacation (your mileage may vary).

We normally stay value so we try and plan and go during free dining. I know everyone has mixed feelings on this but when you stay at a value, free dining is a better deal than %30.

I bring a Brita water bottle. Fl tap water is yucky and the Brita sport bottle really helps with that.

Do sit downs for lunch when its cheaper.

We do pressed pennies/quarters. My son enjoys them and at his age more pennies vs one toy is a better gig. Plus hitting up target or dollar store ahead of time for stuff.

Glow necklaces from target, always stock up on them when they are in the $1 Spot. Great for WDW, Disney on ice, backyard parties, etc.

We normally stay value so we try and plan and go during free dining. I know everyone has mixed feelings on this but when you stay at a value, free dining is a better deal than %30.

Rumor has it that there will be changes to which resort levels will get FD this year...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/8666-rumor-changes-coming-to-fall-free-dining-2013/page__hl__%2Bfree+%2Bdining

Do sit downs for lunch when its cheaper.

This seems to be especially the case for DTD restaurants. Some have the exact same things on the lunch and dinner menus, but lunch is a few dollars cheaper.

The other thing we've been doing more lately is, instead of ordering an appetizer and 2 entrees, we'll get 2 appetizers or sides and split an entree. Saves $ on TS meals but also, we enjoy trying a variety of different things and this is a good way to do that without completely stuffing yourself.

Kind of along those lines, we've found quite a few lounges where you can order food - either off a special bar menu or from the neighboring restaurant. A couple of appetizer-sized portions and maybe a salad, and we've had a chance to try some new things and have a full dinner for a LOT less than a TS would have cost us. Bonus - no ADR required. (shhhhhh, don't tell)

I use my Disney rewards visa almost every day. For personal stuff. It pays one percent back. I also

Have a Delta American Express that I use for all my business purchases and I usually accumulate enough points each year for 3 free tickets and with delta we don't pay luggage fees. The key is to NOT purchase things you don't need and pay off your credit cards every month or the interest will eat away the benefits. You may not get three tickets a year but it does add up.

I use my Disney rewards visa almost every day. For personal stuff. It pays one percent back. ...The key is to NOT purchase things you don't need and pay off your credit cards every month or the interest will eat away the benefits. You may not get three tickets a year but it does add up.

We actually upgraded to the next level Disney rewards card this year. It has an annual fee, but the cashback % is double and since we do the same thing (use it for everything and pay it off), it ended up working out great for us. Hey, it almost got us through the first week, including 2 days of marathon Food & Wine! 8)

Friends of ours own a home remodeling business and put all their business expenses on their Disney rewards visa. It's paid for nearly their entire 2 week trip 2 years in a row now!

We have a chase freedom card that we use, every quarter they have bonus places that get you %5 on, this quarter it's gas, Starbucks, and drug stores. Last time was hotels, airlines best buy and kohls. We charge everything (even a thing of milk) and pay it off at the end of the month.

Forgot to mention the other thing that worked for us last year. It's actually part of TP's article too. This was the year we needed to buy new APs. So before ticket prices went up last summer, we bought discounted tickets through Undercover Tourist. Carol can explain the "trick" better than I probably will, but essentially we bought the ticket that had the greatest discount vs gate price (you have to pick through, it's not always the one you'd think), used it once in the park, then went to Guest Services and upgraded to the AP. I think we ended up saving $40+ per ticket when all was said and done.

Another thing my DW does to save money and that keeps me from getting too fat and keeps DD8 happy is to make me carry a back pack with bottled water for her and DD and snacks for DD. she get real cranky when she gets hungry. And snacks at the parks get real expensive as your well aware of. Is it just my DD or do all kids get uncontrollably cranky when they get hungry?

Assuming you aren't getting an AP, don't buy a ticket for the day you arrive and depart WDW. Most of the time you will not have enough time in those parks to justify the price... particularly if you are flying to WDW.

And to further that, if you have a package with dining, get a one night room only for your arrival day, then switch to the package the next morning.

We are using your AP concept for our next two trips Mo.

Instead of going in February this year and 2014, we are going to go February and December 2013 and use APs instead of buying two sets of hoppers.

We also eat breakfast and dinner where we are staying (except for a couple meals) and bring lunch into the parks in our cooler bag.