Let's Build A Mickey Light Post!

The board just doesn't seem complete without an authentic, hand-made Mickey Ears Lamppost out in front, does it? Here's a good set of instructions, shamelessly stolen from the good folks over at Walt's Basement. Visit the link there for pictures of the process and more.

All the parts you need are available at Home Depot.

The Parts to make a Mickey Lamp Post

The key parts are:

[pre]

Quantity Name              Home Depot            Price

Product Number

1 12 inch acrylic globe          022678331576 $15.96

2 6 inch acrylic globes         022678331620 $5.89

1 Globe holder (fitter)         022618331569 $9.49

[/pre]

If you?re having trouble finding them, scroll down towards the bottom of this post for more details on how to get them.  Now, to put it all together:

1:  Begin with the 12 inch globe. Apply masking tape across the top of the globe along the center line in order to mark the centers for the holes needed to mount the smaller globes. Draw a line at the ?top dead center? of the lamp and then measure down 4 inches on each side and make another mark. This will mark the centers for each ear hole, they should be 8 inches apart.

2. Drill a small lead hole for each ear and then use a 3 ? inch hole saw to cut the ear holes.

3.  Remove the tape and glue the smaller globes into these holes, clamp until the glue is set.

4.  Attach a standard plug to the globe fitter.

5. Now you need to attach the globe fitter to the post.  I used a 2 inch piece of ABS drain pipe as my post.  The mount is simply a connector which joins 2 pieces of this pipe.  First remove the three clamp screws from the fitter:

6. Insert the ABS connector in the hole on the bottom of the globe fitter and drill small lead holes through the holes where you removed the clamp screws.

7. Use small screws to attach the connector to the globe fitter.  This piece will now slide on and off the ABS drain pipe which will be your post.

8.  Now drill a ? inch hole about a foot from the bottom of the ABS pipe and feed the power cord up through the pole.  Add a female receptacle to the end of the cord and you are done.

9. Plug the fitter into the female receptacle you just added, slide the globe fitter onto your post and install a 25 watt frosted light bulb.  Place the globe on the fitter and enjoy your lamp.

You will need to devise a base for the lamp.  I used a cast metal base for a patio umbrella (WalMart ? about $20.00).  You simply use a chisel to knock off the nut which holds the retaining bolt and the ABS post slides over the post on the umbrella base.  I secure it with two long bolts and wing nuts.  Be sure that your base is heavy enough to prevent your lamp from blowing over.  The umbrella base has worked very well for me.

On my last few lamps I have added smaller bulbs to illuminate the ears as well as the larger globe.

10. Begin with a piece of metal strapping, about 4 inches long.  Bend about ? inch on each end so that the ends will create a ?friction grip? on the flange of the 6? globe which is now visible inside the 12? globe.

Make 2 of these pieces, one for each of Mickey?s ears.

11. Cut a length of outdoor Christmas lights so that you have 2 socket and enough cord on one end to attach a plug.  Use pop-rivets to attach each socket to one of the metal straps you just made.  Attach a plug.

12.  Here is a detailed look at the light socket riveted to the strap.  Note the 90 degree bends in the ends of the strap which provide a ?friction grip? on the flanges of Mickey?s ears, inside the larger globe.  Bend them to provide a snug fit and just press them on.

ENJOY!

Here is more detail on the product codes (Home Depot) for the hard to get components:

12″ acrylic globe ? SKU 312840

UPC 022678331576 Part # CP1265

Vendor ? Adjusta Post  ? Price $15.96

6″ acrylic globe ? SKU 312884

UPC 022678331620 Part # CP3086

Vendor Adjusta Post ? Price $5.89

Globe Fitter ? SKU 348480

UPC 022678331569 Part #CP1721P

Vendor Adjusta Post ? Price $9.49

If you cannot get them through your local Home Depot, perhaps your store can order them in for you or do a look-up to see if they are stocked in a nearby store. The Home Depot near the Florida Mall stocks all the parts and always has plenty on hand.  Details of that store: 7423 Southland Blvd., Orlando, FL 32809  (407) 859-3500

If all else fails, call the manufacturer Summit Lighting (a division of Adjusta Post), 3960 Summit Road, Barberton, OH 44203-1052.  Their Customer Service number is (800) 321-2132.  Maybe they can direct you to a retailer in your area.

Now, I don't want to steal the good folks at Walt's Basement's pictures. So I issue a challenge: The first fiend to provide me with new pictures displaying the correct methods for lamppost construction will win a brand new Internet! (Or something else cool that we come up with here in the Fort Fiends Command Bunker.)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The board just doesn't seem complete without an authentic, hand-made Mickey Ears Lamppost out in front, does it? Here's a good set of instructions, shamelessly stolen from the good folks over at Walt'

If anyone wants a complete copy of these instructions, complete with pictures, just send me a PM including your e-mail address and I'll send them to you in a MS Word file.

I thoroughly agree with stealing plans to build something, but I would like to make a minor change for everyone. I would suggest using the 8" globes for the ears rather than the 6" globes. The 8" globes produce a more proportionate Mickey head. Its just a suggestion, so do what you want with it.

Hi folks . . . glad to see the Fiends have landed in a new location!

The plans shown above are ones I created and you are welcome to post the pictures as well.  If you like I can send copies, or you can just grab them from the Walt's Basement site.

I have posted them in a few places, but Walt's Basement was not one of them, I don't know how they got there!  But that's OK too, the more the merrier!

Judy- do you know any plumbers? A plumber friend loaned me his saw to cut the holes as I didn't want to buy one either. Maybe you could offer a local plumber $10 to cut them, it would only take them 5 minutes. Find an office, ask nicely, and maybe even bat your eyes a few times! :rofl2:

Which dremel attachement did you use?  There are so many.  I thought I might try a Cuff Off Wheel. 

dremel.jpg

I did the same thing as DaddysCoolTV, except I used the cutting bit.  It has worked four times.  I have made two lamps for other people and I have had to make two globes for myself.  One globe met an untimely end at Christmastime during a microburst before a thunderstorm.  I have since changed the base to a beautiful purple Christmas tree stand and I am on the hunt for a purple party light. :toiletreading:

Which dremel attachement did you use?  There are so many.  I thought I might try a Cuff Off Wheel. 

dremel.jpg

I did the same thing as DaddysCoolTV, except I used the cutting bit.  It has worked four times.  I have made two lamps for other people and I have had to make two globes for myself.  One globe met an untimely end at Christmastime during a microburst before a thunderstorm.  I have since changed the base to a beautiful purple Christmas tree stand and I am on the hunt for a purple party light. :)

I too lost mine in that same storm. Just recently made a new one. As for a purple light, my search has been uneventful. So in the mean time, I took some advice from another fiend and used a black light. Its not as bright as a regular light would be, but emits a nice purple glow that fills the Mickey head nicely.

I have found the solution to the purple light.  I bought a black party light from Lowes and put it in the lamp and it works.  It is a beautiful purple.  Go to Lowes, find the party light section where they have the fluorescent color bulbs and get the black one.

We're leaving the lamp post home this trip.  The large globe got a hole in it last trip and I never got a "round tuit" to make a new top for it.  Plus I think I want a different kind this time.  I really like the globe fitter that Jen has.  Just have to remind myself to get the exact part numbers, etc. when I finally have time to rebuild it.

As much as I love Snarky purple, my camper theme is still Blue!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

You can see my instructions for a Mickey Lamp here:  http://www.carol-anne.ca/Mickey%20Lamp.htm

And my instructions for a Mickey Rope Light are here:  http://www.carol-anne.ca/Mickey%20Rope%20Light.htm

Have fun making yours!

Thanks for the great links.  Last year I used your rope light directions which worked great.  This year we tackle the lamp setup. 

Steve

• 1 month later...

I thoroughly agree with stealing plans to build something, but I would like to make a minor change for everyone. I would suggest using the 8" globes for the ears rather than the 6" globes. The 8" globes produce a more proportionate Mickey head. Its just a suggestion, so do what you want with it.

Where did you get the 8" globes?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the following would work for the globes:

Acrylic Globe Lamp Cover

12 in. White Acrylic Globe - 4 in. Extruded Neck Opening

Specifications

Brand American Made Plastics

Part No. PLAS-12NW4

Diameter 12 in.

Neck Exterior 3-15/16 in.

Neck Interior 3-1/2 in.

Acrylic Globe Lamp Cover

8 in. White Acrylic Globe - 4 in. Neck Exterior

Specifications

Part No. 3201-08020

Diameter 8 in.

Neck Exterior 3.95 in.

Neck Interior 3.55 in.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the following would work for the globes:

Acrylic Globe Lamp Cover

12 in. White Acrylic Globe - 4 in. Extruded Neck Opening

Specifications

Part No. PLAS-12NW4

Diameter 12 in.

Neck Exterior 3-15/16 in.

Neck Interior 3-1/2 in.

Acrylic Globe Lamp Cover

8 in. White Acrylic Globe - 4 in. Neck Exterior

Specifications

Part No. 3201-08020

Diameter 8 in.

Neck Exterior 3.95 in.

Neck Interior 3.55 in.

Thanks!

I think the 8" globes would work just fine, provided you have a 4" hole saw to cut appropriate openings in the larger globe to insert them and glue them.

As for the 12" globe, I would not use it, simply because of the neck. Because the neck (or flange) is there you will have to custom make some type of base to hold the light bulb and connect to your post. For about $30.00 you can buy a 12" globe with no flange or neck and the globe fitter which holds the bulb and connects easily to your post. Nothing to customize!

So my answer is, yes the 12" globe would work, but a 12" globe without the neck would be sooooo much easier!

Gary

I think the 8" globes would work just fine, provided you have a 4" hole saw to cut appropriate openings in the larger globe to insert them and glue them.

As for the 12" globe, I would not use it, simply because of the neck. Because the neck (or flange) is there you will have to custom make some type of base to hold the light bulb and connect to your post. For about $30.00 you can buy a 12" globe with no flange or neck and the globe fitter which holds the bulb and connects easily to your post. Nothing to customize!

So my answer is, yes the 12" globe would work, but a 12" globe without the neck would be sooooo much easier!

Gary

I got all of my supplies from Home Depot. They do not always have the 8" globes in, but ussualy get them regularly. So keep checking.

My first use of multi-quote!! Cool!!

Sorry, it took me so long to reply. I'm a slothfull fiend! Thanks for the help!!

I've got to make time and make one of these before we return to FW.

Got a question!!

How do most of you "glue" the ears to the big globe?? Last time I just used silicone caulk. Which from reading this may not have been the best thing.

What type of glue do I need??

I've got mine all built, the ear holes cut out and and the electric working. The only thing left is gluing the ears in and painting the pole blue.

Got a question!!

How do most of you "glue" the ears to the big globe?? Last time I just used silicone caulk. Which from reading this may not have been the best thing.

What type of glue do I need??

I've got mine all built, the ear holes cut out and and the electric working. The only thing left is gluing the ears in and painting the pole blue.

I use LePage Flexible Plastic Adhesive from Home Depot in Canada. It's not sold in the USA.

LePageFlexiblePlasticAdhesive.jpg

I think LocTite is the same thing.

LoctiteFlexiblePlasticAdhesive.jpg

Always works well for me!