ESVs now allowed at WDW

It wouldn't surprise me that because of the abuse, and because the ADA forbids Disney from asking for proof of need, that they'll be discontinued.

Don't you mean HIPA?

If the States are allowed to require a prescription from a Doctor for a Handicap placard then Disney should ask for the same thing. HIPA doesn't allow the actual reason to be on the script anymore however.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where are my manners, I forgot to post that as of a couple of months ago ESVs are now allowed in the parks and best of all, on all transportation vehicles. So if you have one, bring it, if you don't,

Me too. The worst attack I had the only position that didn't have me crying in pain was laying down with my legs up on a big foam wedge. Best part - it happened about 6 weeks before we had a 7 day la

TCD, you are correct that anyone can bring or rent a ECV, ESV, or WC to WDW. No verification of a disability is required. As for the Guest Assistance Card or GAC, they are available to guests with non

Thera always going to abuse when someone can gain the system. I like how they handle it at California Adventure. Since its the newest park they built almost all the queues so that an esv, etc can access them. We went last march and my 75 yr old mother who reluctantly let me rent her a cart got front of the line privileges in Disneyland but I can't think of one ride that she and we got to the front of the line. She rode all the to rides just like everyone who had to walk and wait

Uhhhh??

Health Information Privacy Act. Years ago when someone went for a Handicap placard the Dr. had to list the medical condition, cardiac, pulmonary, neurological etc. Now all they are required/allowed to state is the person meets the state/federal ADA requirements necessary for a placard.

Even many Federal,State & Private campgrounds require proof before they will let you rent the handicap sites

Edited by Grumpy and Grandma

DH needs an ECV and gets a GAC. Our experience is that it varies depending upon the CM you speak to. In the beginning, I used to feel self-conscious about asking for the card and would tell them more than they needed to know. Now I just go up to GS with him and tell them he needs a GAC that will allow him to use an alternate entrance and also to stay out of the sun. There really aren't that many rides these days where a GAC allows you to skip the line. Most attractions are now designed to accomodate ECVs and wheelchairs so you still wait in line. It's a nice plus but you shouldn't count on it.

In my experience, Universal & IOA are by far the most difficult to get a GAC from and the parks where DH would benefit from it most. US/IOA claims all their lines are wheelchair accessible so you don't need a GAC but don't you believe it. IMO that's where the ADA should be cracking down. Guests in ECVs were still required to transfer to a standard wheelchair for most things when we were there last year. That means you have to be physically able to transfer at each ride as well as have someone along able to push the wheelchair. So much for being independent. After a few rides, DH decided he'd had enough and his US/IOA AP sat unused until it expired...

• 3 months later...

Beginning May 2, Electric Standing Vehicles (ESVs) will be available for rental by Walt Disney World Guests at the same locations where strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs are currently rented.

The daily rental fee for ESVs will be $50 plus a deposit.

WDW will not be advertising that the ESVs are available, but they can be rented upon request and reserved in advance.

Medical paperwork is not required to prove eligibility to rent an ESV.

For questions about ESV reservations, call 407-824-5217.