ESVs now allowed at WDW

Where are my manners, I forgot to post that as of a couple of months ago ESVs are now allowed in the parks and best of all, on all transportation vehicles.

So if you have one, bring it, if you don't, rent one at the parks. Yup, you'll be able to rent one.

I'll wait until someone asks, what the heck is a ESV?

And don't bother Googling it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where are my manners, I forgot to post that as of a couple of months ago ESVs are now allowed in the parks and best of all, on all transportation vehicles. So if you have one, bring it, if you don't,

Me too. The worst attack I had the only position that didn't have me crying in pain was laying down with my legs up on a big foam wedge. Best part - it happened about 6 weeks before we had a 7 day la

TCD, you are correct that anyone can bring or rent a ECV, ESV, or WC to WDW. No verification of a disability is required. As for the Guest Assistance Card or GAC, they are available to guests with non

I doubt that you'll see many, if any, ESVs at WDW.

Even though some have a seat, it's basically a bike seat and is not a seat that you'd want to sit in all day.

Most, but not all, scooters are used by people with leg related issues, people that have gotten so large that they can't walk for extended periods of time, and the elderly. As Ray alluded to, if you have leg problems, are obese, or old, how are you able to stand for long periods? The person that just doesn't want to walk the parks all day might rent an ESV.

Transportation CMs were trained on how to deal with ESVs should they ever have to.

Here's the catch that will discourage their use. For safety reasons, Disney will not allow them to be ridden onto the buses, watercraft, or monorails. They must be pushed on-board and parked by the guest. Ditto getting off.

Disney has a model that may be rented at the parks, but their version is big, bulky, and I'm sure very expensive to rent.

Why is Disney doing this now you ask? Ahh, the ADA strikes again.

Disney was sued by a handicapped Segway user, which is also considered a ESV. The court ruled that in order to comply with the ADA, they must at least consider the use of ESVs in the parks.

Disney argued that the two wheeled vehicles, Segways, are a danger to guests and offered a compromise, three or four wheeled ESVs. The court agreed, and viola, three or four wheel only ESVs at Disney.

I guess Disney feels that people are not going to buy a three wheel ESV for outdoor recreational use as they are meant mostly for indoor use and I doubt that you'll see most truly disabled people renting them, but now Disney is in compliance with the ADA. Their real objective to continue the ban on Segways was achieved, very clever.

I and drivers I know have not seen any ESVs............... yet.

Disney Media Relations Manager regarding the ruling.

“We’re pleased that the court approved the settlement,” said Finger. “We have long been at the forefront of providing accessibility for guests with disabilities. We look forward to offering a new standing mobility device that is compatible with our unique environment and helps maintain a safe environment for all of our guests.”

I'm gonna be the dissenter here. I'm watching DH struggle with some back issues right now. (Probably a sciatic nerve problem). Getting up and down from lying down and seated hurts like "hell" right now, but once he's up and gets going he's OK, but when we go to the mall or Wal-Mart, he doesn't sit down to rest, he stands still. That's why you see pics of me riding the ECV around the parks as much or more as he does. A standing ESV might help him getting around a bit better. No walking motion to aggravate the sciatic and no up and down from the chair.

I'm gonna be the dissenter here.

Oh I'm sure some people could benefit from this move, the question is how many will either rent or buy one?

I think Disney is counting on not many, but by using the strategy they used, they've kept the Segways out and that was the objective.

Hey Lou-

I have a question. I think that I already know the answer, but I'd like to hear it from you.

Can anyone ride around on a scooter or one of these ESV's?

From what I've seen, nobody has to show any kind of doctor's note or anything, right?

That's a violation of the ADA.

So, if I wanted to use one of these as a fun way to tour a park, I could, right?

TCD

Yes you could and no, a doctor's note is not required to rent an ECV, ESV or wheelchair at WDW. Anyone can do it.

(And I'm guessing if this discussion goes down that road much further we'll have to ask Jen to move this to the debate board.) 8)

I've had horrid sciatic pain in the past too (got a couple of messed up discs that act up from time to time). For me, sitting was the worst, standing still was a little better. Walking is actually the best as long as I am really careful about my posture. Because of the ability to sit up high and stand easily, I would think one of these would actually work better for me if I needed it than an ECV.

Hey Lou-

I have a question. I think that I already know the answer, but I'd like to hear it from you.

Can anyone ride around on a scooter or one of these ESV's?

From what I've seen, nobody has to show any kind of doctor's note or anything, right?

That's a violation of the ADA.

So, if I wanted to use one of these as a fun way to tour a park, I could, right?

TCD

I have seen people with scooters hand CMs at the rides a piece of paper and they get moved up in the line. Do they have to provide something proving their disability? Or can I just show up on crutches or in a wheel chair and get a piece of paper? The reason I want o know is my Brother in law got mad at my sister in law because she wouldn't allow them to use the disabilities line when she sprained her ankle during a trip.

Ok I have to disagree with Carol on this. I do have severe sciatica. Walking is bad but standing in one position makes it much worse. If I was on one of these for more than a half hour I wouldn't be able to move for the rest of the day.

Well, we're not sure what nerve it is, but standing still helps him.

I have seen people with scooters hand CMs at the rides a piece of paper and they get moved up in the line. Do they have to provide something proving their disability? Or can I just show up on crutches or in a wheel chair and get a piece of paper? The reason I want o know is my Brother in law got mad at my sister in law because she wouldn't allow them to use the disabilities line when she sprained her ankle during a trip.

I know that in the parks, you need a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) to be provided accommodations on the attractions. Just showing up in a scooter doesn't cut it. But, if some knucklehead wanted to bring his three wheeled fake Segway on a bus and ride it around Epcot for giggles, I guess he could.

TCD