ESVs now allowed at WDW

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where are my manners, I forgot to post that as of a couple of months ago ESVs are now allowed in the parks and best of all, on all transportation vehicles. So if you have one, bring it, if you don't,

Me too. The worst attack I had the only position that didn't have me crying in pain was laying down with my legs up on a big foam wedge. Best part - it happened about 6 weeks before we had a 7 day la

TCD, you are correct that anyone can bring or rent a ECV, ESV, or WC to WDW. No verification of a disability is required. As for the Guest Assistance Card or GAC, they are available to guests with non

Perhaps each case is different...

Indeed.

My dad is a 100% disabled veteran. Bad jeep accident. He looks fine, but his back is a mess. It's a miracle he can walk, but he can. Just not very far.

He needs to park in a handicap spot, but you wouldn't know it to look at him.

I will never judge anyone who requests special accommodations. You never know.

TCD

Hey Mo...

do we have a page on the Guest Assistance Card? if not that might be a good one...

We don't - good idea.

I'll have to dig up some "official" info because I know there's a lot of confusion out there about how GACs really work (and a ton of MISinformation)

There's also speculation right now that it's actually going to change again as part of the new FP+ system.

You're probably right, Nicki.

Sciatica can definitely effect people differently. My uncle just had a procedure to help his. He didn't have the screaming pain most people do, instead he had dull pain and numbness in his foot for years.

My aunt is having trouble right now and sitting is actually the best position for her.

However when mine was at its worst, sitting was just not possible at all, and I had to lay down in the back seat of the car and have someone drive me to the chiropractor and p.t.

Sciatica can definitely effect people differently. My uncle just had a procedure to help his. He didn't have the screaming pain most people do, instead he had dull pain and numbness in his foot for years.

My aunt is having trouble right now and sitting is actually the best position for her.

However when mine was at its worst, sitting was just not possible at all, and I had to lay down in the back seat of the car and have someone drive me to the chiropractor and p.t.

Yes sitting is not good, standing is not good either. Walking is ok but I have to keep moving, once I sit down all bets are off.

Me too. The worst attack I had the only position that didn't have me crying in pain was laying down with my legs up on a big foam wedge.

Best part - it happened about 6 weeks before we had a 7 day land/sea trip to WDW planned, with the kicker being that we were driving to FL!

Chiropractor and PT people all told me to cancel. I told them to bite me and give me more exercises to do.

We left for WDW with an inversion table and a mattress in the back of the SUV (so I could lay down along the way if I needed to), ice packs, an e-stim unit, an exercise ball and weights.

I actually drove the whole way down and we busted our butts in the parks from dawn to dusk for 3 days before getting on the ship (stayed at Beach Club). Walking was the very best thing for me in the end, as it kept everything from tightening up and clamping down on the nerves even worse. Ended up being a great trip - but only because I'm apparently much more stubborn than I am smart. 8)

TCD, you are correct that anyone can bring or rent a ECV, ESV, or WC to WDW. No verification of a disability is required.

As for the Guest Assistance Card or GAC, they are available to guests with non-apparent, special assistance needs (i.e., autism, heart condition, etc.). Depending on a guest's need, the card may provide a variety of assistance such as allowing guests to wait in a shaded area, or providing admission to our attractions through the auxiliary entrances. However, the intention of the GAC is not and has never been to bypass attraction lines or to be used by guests with a noticeable service need. Guests with an apparent mobility issue, such as those using wheelchairs, canes, crutches, etc., or guests with service animals, don't need a GAC. These guests are directed to follow the attraction entrance procedures for guests using wheelchairs, as outlined in the "Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities".

But as with ECVs, verification of need is not required. If you want one, but don't have a non-apparent disability, just make up a sad story and it's yours.

Do perfectly healthy people rent scooters or get GACs, absolutely, without a doubt, however from my observations of loading hundreds and hundreds of scooters and seeing a very small number of GACs, the numbers are much lower than most people think. Most users are legit.,

TCD, you are correct that anyone can bring or rent a ECV, ESV, or WC to WDW. No verification of a disability is required.

Do perfectly healthy people rent scooters or get GACs, absolutely,

We have observed people change riders just as they approach the ECV/WC entrance.

Today we even observed a couple, on a non disney ECV, he was sitting she was standing, Luckily a diligent CM told them only one person on the ECV and made her get off.

That is a Dream Scooter and they are not allowed on WDW transportation or entry into the parks.

However because the IMs did not support the CMs when they refused to load or denied entry, CMs raised their hands in frustration and now allow them in or on. If you show up with a GC, I will try to load you and if I can, we're on our way.

There was a guy in the MK with one of these today. I don't know how he will get through many of the ques since it is 36" wide.

001-big.jpg

That is a Dream Scooter and they are not allowed on WDW transportation or entry into the parks.

However because the IMs did not support the CMs when they refused to load or denied entry, CMs raised their hands in frustration and now allow them in or on. If you show up with a GC, I will try to load you and if I can, we're on our way.

I can tell you the guy sitting in it wouldn't fit on a Disney ECV.

I'm sure you've noticed the white box painted at all resort bus stops. Most people assume that it's there to indicate the location for ECVs or WCs to wait for the bus. Nope, that's a max size template for scooters. If a scooter exceeds the template, and the Dream does, bus drivers do not have to load it.....in theory.

The first time I denied someone with an over sized scooter, I found out later that an IM said it was ok and it went on the next bus, okee dokee, I'll play along.

They are not a "Preferred" outside vendor and I bet they had to redo their advertising as well.

Walt Disney World's resorts now have a list of five "preferred" vendors for electric scooter (ECV) rentals. The vendors - Apple Mobility, Best Price, Buena Vista, C.A.R.E, and Scooter Bug - will be the only vendors allowed to drop off and pick up scooters from Bell Services without the renter being present. All other vendors will have to schedule a time with the guest for both pick up and drop off.

They are not a "Preferred" outside vendor and I bet they had to redo their advertising as well.

Walt Disney World's resorts now have a list of five "preferred" vendors for electric scooter (ECV) rentals. The vendors - Apple Mobility, Best Price, Buena Vista, C.A.R.E, and Scooter Bug - will be the only vendors allowed to drop off and pick up scooters from Bell Services without the renter being present. All other vendors will have to schedule a time with the guest for both pick up and drop off.

When I googled dream scooters that was one of the links. Thought it was too funny not to share.

When we were at the world 4 or 5 years ago there was a guy staying at the fort with a 3 wheel scooter like this. We talked to him at the dock several mornings when he was boarding the boat to MK. I thought it was Kool and it wasn't much if any bigger than an evc.

Problem is that it is almost 8" wider (30%) than a standard ECV.

I'm new to the GAC and this was my first trip getting one.

Our first day I went to guest services at MK and while I was in line I realized I forgot my VA card in the rv. I called my DW and asked her to bring it with her. I hung up and asked the CM if my card would be enough to get a GAC. she said I don't have to show a card and have me a GAC. She put the wrong check out date so she crossed it out, changed it, and gave it back to me. It worked great until NYE at Epcot getting on to soarin. The CM at the fast pass return noticed the mistake and had a supervisor look at it and she said its an invalid card, took it from me and told me I had to go to guest services to get another one. She let us on the ride. At guest services the CM told me that each park had their own rules and normally he wouldn't give me one but since they did at MK he would do me a favor and give me one. He the. Informed me that when a CM messed one up they should tear it up and start all over. He was actually kind of rude and condescending. I think he was from New Jersey. JK. He asked to see my VA card filled out the card and handed them both to me. When he did he said oh I put down Robert instead of ray is that ok? After giving him a stupid look I said didn't you just tell me that if its not filled out correctly its invalid? He hummed and filled out a new card. I said thanks and left.

I think they must not have clear guidelines or something. I didn't mean to add to confusion but I thought it was a funny story and I wanted to share it.

I'm new to the GAC and this was my first trip getting one.

As you found out Ray, anyone can get a GAC if they have a believable reason. GACs have become very controversial lately for that reason. People that shouldn't have them have been able to get one. Expect changes in the not to distant future.

I'm not clear why a non-apparent disability as listed in my previous post, qualifies someone to get special treatment. Other than avoiding long lines, I also don't know what that special treatment might be.

If someone can avoid the lines by getting a GAC, there's the problem.

It wouldn't surprise me that because of the abuse, and because the ADA forbids Disney from asking for proof of need, that they'll be discontinued.